The Ultimate macOS Thread

Anyone know if Mountain Lion is out anywhere yet? Anyone have experience of it yet?

I think, if it is actually stable then I want to upgrade - new features are actually useful!

I've been running the GM since it's been out last week, it's been very stable so far :)

According to the rumors, it should be out in about 10 days :)

Did they fix expose?

Yes they did! It's still Mission Control, but now you can disable the useless application stacks and have independent windows.

Reason enough to upgrade there.

I've been running the GM since it's been out last week, it's been very stable so far :)

According to the rumors, it should be out in about 10 days :)

Any battery life and/or performance improvements?

I guess that means I should get the 6GB kit for my iMac.

I'm looking forward to the Mountain Lion release today. I have a shiny new Samsung 830 SSD ready for a fresh install, I've managed to get the 256GB version from Amazon for GBP 151 including shipping :D. An OWC optical bay kit should arrive later this week.

I upgraded this morning then ran off to work. I did run into one problem before I left, though. I use multiple desktops (generally 4). After a clean reboot (which the install was), I'll often launch the various applications, then move their windows around. So Terminal, Safari, and Chrome got started in Desktop 1. I moved some of Chrome's windows to desktop 4 and some to desktop 3. I then messed around in Safari for a bit (desktop 2) and Terminal (1), and then tried to go back to 3. Every time I tried to go to 3, I got redirected to 1 (but Chrome remained the active application).

I do not have the "When switching to an application, switch to a desktop with that application's windows" checkbox checked. I tried checking it, and the behavior didn't change. I un-checked it again, quit Chrome, and then went to desktop 3 and re-launched it. That seemed to resolve the "always switching away from desktop 3" behavior, but... Having to quit an app to be able to reach it kinda sucks.

That's the only issue I encountered before heading off to work.

It's downloaded on my MBP and waiting to get installed. It took 2 hours thanks to my rubbish internet connection. Just making sure I have everything backed up and have the installer copied onto an external hard drive so I can use it again without redownloading it.

Does anyone think it would be worth upgrading my 24" intel core 2 duo iMac to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard? I installed Lion briefly on it last year but there were some things I absolutely hated performance wise and downgraded, but I have recently upped the RAM to 8BG on it. It is well within the compatibility requirements.

Last edited:
How are the download speeds? I'm thinking of holding off for a couple of days but if the DL speeds are OK might just go for it tonight.

I'll hold out until TRIM enabler has been updated.

Waiting for instructions on how to install on my more-than-capable late-2007 MacBook.......

:glare:

Thanks for the tease, Apple.

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 7.43.27 PM.png

Last edited:
If you "burn" the image on to a thumb drive you should be able to find the plist for unaccepted macs. The issue will be driver support. If there are no drivers for your video card you're SOL.

Right, like I said before I'm going to wait until inevitably someone figures out how to do it properly, its just irritating to know I'm no longer supported.