The Ultimate macOS Thread

I finally installed bootcamp on my MBP. Who would have thought it would be such a pain in the ass? I wanted to have Windows 7 installed on my 2nd 750GB HDD as there's lots of space as opposed to my main disk, which is a 250GB SSD. But installing bootcamp without superdrive isn't a default option on MBP, but it is on MBA. I spent maybe two working days figuring it out. It wouldn't even boot Windows from superdrive plugged in via USB. The way I finally managed to do it was to install a virtual machine in OS X and format the bootcamp partition to NTFS via Windows installer. Then I cancelled the installation and instead copied the Win7 installation disk into the bootcamp partition. Then I had to install rEFIt, in order to be able to force booting from the uninstalled Windows partition and was finally able to install Windows.

And after Windows was successfully installed, the endless updates came flooding in, requiring several restarts.

I got intermittent no wake-up after lid closed when I installed rEFInd (successor to rEFIt) on my new MBP. Is yours resuming ok?

I got intermittent no wake-up after lid closed when I installed rEFInd (successor to rEFIt) on my new MBP. Is yours resuming ok?

Sorry, I haven't been to this thread in quite a while. Wake-up in Windows or OS X? I don't have any problems with wake-up in either, I have the high-end 15' inch early-2011 MBP. Maybe it's related to newer machines, do you have a rMBP? The only problem I have is that I can't get screen brightness to work in Windows. The buttons show the brightness indicator increasing/decreasing but the actual brightness of the display doesn't change.

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't been to this thread in quite a while. Wake-up in Windows or OS X? I don't have any problems with wake-up in either, I have the high-end 15' inch early-2011 MBP. Maybe it's related to newer machines, do you have a rMBP? The only problem I have is that I can't get screen brightness to work in Windows. The buttons show the brightness indicator increasing/decreasing but the actual brightness of the display doesn't change.

Sorry, I haven't been to this thread in quite a while (see what I did there?). Wake-up in OS X (I never tried it in Windows because I only use it to play games and immediately reboot) and yes, I have a 2012 13" rMBP. I uninstalled rEFInd and just hold option when I want to use Windows, which works fine for me.

Let's revive this thread shall we?

Anybody else excited for Yosemite? I think it's the best release since Snow Leopard.

I'm running the Developer GM they released today and it's running awesome. The last little issues I had with the last beta are pretty much gone and it feels faster to use than Mavericks.

Let's revive this thread shall we?

Anybody else excited for Yosemite? I think it's the best release since Snow Leopard.

I'm running the Developer GM they released today and it's running awesome. The last little issues I had with the last beta are pretty much gone and it feels faster to use than Mavericks.

Yes very, I like all the integration features they are putting into it, really making a cohesive ecosystem.

The one area where hey could have gone a wee bit further would have been to be able to see and interact with notifications from the phone on the Mac, not just phone calls and messages. It would be awesome for apps like whatsapp that are phone only at the moment.

Its released tomorrow, right?

I don't think there's any official word from Apple on that but everyone seems to think so, yes. The rumor is we'll also see iOS 8.1.

I don't think there's any official word from Apple on that but everyone seems to think so, yes. The rumor is we'll also see iOS 8.1.

It's extremely likely, but ofc Apple being Apple we don't know for sure.

Yep, they said October I believe and we're at the fourth release candidate already.

iOS 8.1 with Apple pay should also roll out. I'm hoping the new Photos service will roll out too.

Noticing some sync issues with Dropbox in Yosemite. The file seems to sync, but the Finder UI won't update until I kill-restart Finder (option+rightclick on the Finder icon). It also happens with local files - I saved some stuff to the Dropbox folder locally and they don't appear in the Finder UI right away.

Anyone else noticed this? Other than that I've had no issues with Yosemite so far even though I jumped on it on day one.

My folks bought a current gen mac mini. After I set it up, I checked energy saver to see if I could adjust when it would go to sleep. I was installing a lot of stuff and didn't want it to go off. Well, that feature is gone and now I can only tell the computer when the display turns off. What the hell?

Now, Caffeine is installed. That's stupid I need an external program to fix an issue that never existed before.

From just now:

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.43.09 AM.png

My 2014 Macbook Air doesn't have separate sleep settings either but it hasn't bothered me. AFAIK the OS won't let itself sleep if something important is going on.

I wouldn't be suprised if the sleep option is only available on laptops, and not on the desktops. Because, why would you ever put your desktop in sleep.

Just like hibernate in windows, who ever uses that ...? It's the first thing you have to disable, and it frees up some wanted space in the process as well.

Anyway, if you can't find the option in the settings, look for the equivalent command you can use in the terminal.

I wouldn't be suprised if the sleep option is only available on laptops, and not on the desktops.
No, it has nothing to do with if it's a desktop or laptop. The sleep option just disappeared with some new version of some Intel chip. I think I noticed it first when my mother bought a new 2013(?) Macbook Air. It was the first generation to get stupid good battery life. My 2011 iMac has the sleep setting, as does the 2012 Mini I have plugged in to my TV.

The Mini has laptop chips in it anyway, btw. It just lacks a battery and screen. :p

Because, why would you ever put your desktop in sleep.

Macs have been able to sleep (and wake up) reliably for a decade or two before Windows PCs got it right, so sleep is a feature people actually use. :p Personally, I just leave my iMac on, but many people like to conserve electricity or whatnot. And shutting down and booting up gets annoying. It's easier to just sleep the computer, have it consume a few measly watts over night and then just pick up where you left off the night before.

My 2014 Air doesn't have the sleep setting anymore but it's never been in the way. There's probably some clever trickery that makes sure it doesn't sleep when something important is going on. I've never felt the need to install tweaks to force it to stay awake or anything like that.

Alright, so I set up this Late 2014 Mac Mini today as my new work PC. Everything's fine except for my keyboard and mouse- They won't wake the computer at all and when I hit the power button to wake the machine, it won't take any keyboard or mouse input. The LED's on the keyboard for Num Lock and stuff won't work, and the red optical part of the mouse will be off no matter what I do.

It's a very basic (like thrown in with the locally built PC's we get basic) Logitech K120 and B100 keyboard and mouse. Both are USB, there's nothing fancy like backlighting, hotkeys or special software.

I plugged them in and recall that during setup I had to do a "keyboard recognition" procedure - hitting the key to the left and right of each shift key respectively. That's the only weird thing it made me do.

Only way to recover is to power cycle the computer. Then the keyboard and mouse work again. I did try resetting the SMC but there's no apparent indication that I've done this like the chimes one gets when they reset PRAM/NVRAM and it doesn't seem to help.

I looked in System Information and it does show the mouse and keyboard under USB.

I may have a different keyboard and mouse to try (we have a ton of PS-2 products here unfortunately...) but is there anything else I'm missing before I go contact Apple?