The vintage, retro, and generally old video/computer games thread

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
We need a retro gaming thread...
Groundrules (meant to be flexible): for computer games, any game that wouldn't run on modern OSes without some sort of emulation or some sort of open-source port (see: Doom, Freespace2). For console games, I'll leave it to someone who knows in more detail.

My current obsessions:
MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg

2869-dungeon-keeper-dos-front-cover.jpg

Freespace2box.jpg

Always happy to plug Hard Light Productions and the Freespace 2 Open Source Project; in addition to updating the game for the 21st century, there's a ton of fan campaigns and total conversions for universes like Wing Commander and Battlestar Galactica.

Can you still run AoE 1 and 2 without some form of hackery?

Ok so now that this thread exists I'll be ALL over this shit. Many of you don't know that I'm a retro and video game in general collector. By the way I would be interested in buying old PC games if anyone has them to sell and if they are complete. Region does not matter! :)

So to start I'm so out of the loop on DOSBox because I have no idea if it likes Win 7 64-bit and if I can use my XBOX One controller for it. I'm dying to play some Wing Commander now. :lol:

Last edited:
Does that mean you want a copy of Star Wars Force Commander for the PC? Yup, I am the guy that bought a copy. I still have the box too. :lol:

I still have my old boxes, manuals, etc for my old PC games back home. One of my favorite parts of going to places like Half Price Books is the nostalgia trip with any old PC/console/handheld games they have.

The coolest thing I've got is probably the collector's editon HL2 box. Can't remember the oldest though. Maybe Sim City 3000 or Flight Simulator 98.

I've been marching through my NES ROM collection, slowly beating every game I used to own on the console, not switching to another game until I've beaten the current one. I've made it through all of the Mega Mans, which was huge. Just last week or so I beat SuperC. Still haven't beaten Contra...that's one I gave up on. It's currently slotted to be the 3rd last I attempt, before moving on to Ghosts and Goblins, and then finally the Ninja Gaiden series. I've already made it past Silver Surfer, Battle Toads and BT/DD.

I'm trying to be disciplined, and only use "cheat codes", and NOT use saved states like a reset button. I save progress only between sessions: not to protect myself from using up lives. I feel like it's an acceptable middle ground for a filthy casual, like me.

In terms on some ground rules for consoles, how about anything more than 2 generations back from current product? Like PS1, Game Cube, or before. Maaaaybe the next gen with PS2 and Wii because then the original XBox could slip in.

Last edited:
All that Wing Commander talk has me wanting to get back in to Star Citizen but its still on 2.6.x--I'm desperately waiting for 3.0... Oh, and Half-Price Books is now my go-to for retro gaming. I absolutely raid their Clearance section. Easily ~400 of my games are from there--mostly PC and PS2 but still.

Does that mean you want a copy of Star Wars Force Commander for the PC? Yup, I am the guy that bought a copy. I still have the box too. :lol:

Depends, what do you want for it! :D

I am going to start a Youtube channel and stream, Star wars Force Commander will be among my first game play features. Maybe after you see that, you won't want it. :lol:

All that Wing Commander talk has me wanting to get back in to Star Citizen but its still on 2.6.x--I'm desperately waiting for 3.0... Oh, and Half-Price Books is now my go-to for retro gaming. I absolutely raid their Clearance section. Easily ~400 of my games are from there--mostly PC and PS2 but still.

Depends, what do you want for it! :D

Yeah, I'm really waiting on Star Citizen until there is a more complete package. Too many times I've gotten into a promising early access game and just end up getting burnt out on it before its prime. It's funny, I never played the classic entries in the genre like Wing Commander and Freespace, but I'm still waiting for the comeback.... so far Elite Dangerous is about the only thing to come close since the early 2000s.

I am going to start a Youtube channel and stream, Star wars Force Commander will be among my first game play features. Maybe after you see that, you won't want it. :lol:

LOL, that bad?

Yeah, I'm really waiting on Star Citizen until there is a more complete package. Too many times I've gotten into a promising early access game and just end up getting burnt out on it before its prime. It's funny, I never played the classic entries in the genre like Wing Commander and Freespace, but I'm still waiting for the comeback.... so far Elite Dangerous is about the only thing to come close since the early 2000s.

I played a little last year but took a break after constantly getting my ship stolen and killed out in space for no reason. I'll get back in once 3.0 gets released to the PTU. As for Elite Dangerous...hated it. Glad I was able to get a refund.

I'm super excited for the HD remake of Warcraft III. I never ever got into WOW, but WCIII was my jam.

My roommate and I would play against each other from one room away in the same apartment, and we'd still use the in-game chat rather than talk to each other.

For those that might say it wasn't long enough ago, Warcraft III was in 2002, in the N64 & Game Cube, original XBox, and PS1/PS2 era. ;)

In other news, it sounds like Nintendo is not only going to produce much much more of the SNES Classic Edition, but are also bringing back the NES Classic next year.

I'm super excited for the HD remake of Warcraft III. I never ever got into WOW, but WCIII was my jam.

My roommate and I would play against each other from one room away in the same apartment, and we'd still use the in-game chat rather than talk to each other.

For those that might say it wasn't long enough ago, Warcraft III was in 2002, in the N64 & Game Cube, original XBox, and PS1/PS2 era. ;)

In other news, it sounds like Nintendo is not only going to produce much much more of the SNES Classic Edition, but are also bringing back the NES Classic next year.

The problem with "HD remakes" of PC games is that it can be a bit of a misnomer. Warcraft III runs in 1920x1080 on my Windows 10 PC :p

Yeah they should be renamed HR, high resolution, since what's lacking from those years is the texture and model resolution, not the definition, which can be stretched to 1080p through some basic .ini file hacking in most games...

That said, I'm looking forward to the AoE remake, I hope they don't change the gameplay mechanics (but they base it on the Rome expansion which had a lot of features the original was lacking like production queues)

I played quite a lot of Force Commander, It's no Empire at War, but I don't recall it beeing that bad.

I think I'll pass! :)

On another note, is anyone here a DOSBox guru? I am a noob and want to play Wing Commander 2-4 & Privateer again. Might need some help setting this stuff up and getting my XBOX One controller working for it.

Aside from some fairly pedestrian vintage stuff (original Gameboy and accessories- printer, camera, portable battery pack, etc.) which is mostly Nintendo based I do have one item which should qualify as a collectors item.

A Sharp NES TV:

9HiGYt1.jpg

It's basically an old Sharp tube TV, but with an NES built in. Has a tuner and works just like a normal TV, and at any time you can press the game power button and it turns on the NES. Also has special controllers with a black color scheme and 'Game Television' branding that only came with this model TV

nhQpPn3.jpg

MYFYi9v.jpg

I believe that would be a Unicorn in the NES realm of collectibles. Very nice.