The Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder sounds quite nice actually.

When i look at the actual engine (pretty hard with all the plastics but you can still get an impression of the engine's overall dimensions) the engine looks to be no wider than the 2.0 tfsi engine in the golf gti. To me this says that it cannot be an inline 5 as it has to be 20-25% wider to accomodate the extra pot. This leads me to believe it is a V5 engine. And i've had numerous looks at VR6 engines (dad owns a garage, which also services volkswages), which indeed look absolutely like inline 6 engines from the outside until you take the cylinder heads off. I find it hard to believe that VW went to all the fuss of designing a new inline 5 cylinder engine for just one market, when they have a 5 cylinder engine just sitting on the shelves that is a good performer and cheap to build. Especially when they want to incorporate that engine into their lineup as a relatively cheap option.

I find it hard to believe that VW went to all the fuss of designing a new inline 5 cylinder engine for just one market, when they have a 5 cylinder engine just sitting on the shelves that is a good performer and cheap to build. Especially when they want to incorporate that engine into their lineup as a relatively cheap option.
Thats the argument, they didnt develope a whole new engine, apparently its based off half of a gallardo engine. Meaning they didn't spend the time or the money developing a whole new engine. I think they ditched the VR5 because its simply getting too old, got to get with the times.

When i look at the actual engine (pretty hard with all the plastics but you can still get an impression of the engine's overall dimensions) the engine looks to be no wider than the 2.0 tfsi engine in the golf gti. To me this says that it cannot be an inline 5 as it has to be 20-25% wider to accomodate the extra pot. This leads me to believe it is a V5 engine. And i've had numerous looks at VR6 engines (dad owns a garage, which also services volkswages), which indeed look absolutely like inline 6 engines from the outside until you take the cylinder heads off. I find it hard to believe that VW went to all the fuss of designing a new inline 5 cylinder engine for just one market, when they have a 5 cylinder engine just sitting on the shelves that is a good performer and cheap to build. Especially when they want to incorporate that engine into their lineup as a relatively cheap option.
Jesus...

It's an inline 5, period!

It's an inline 5, based on the Audi V10, which in turn is based on the Lambo V10. The bore is smaller on the VW-Audi engine, while the stroke is longer than the Lambo.

And yes, it sounds GREAT! Damn smooth too, if I may say so

It's an inline 5, based on the Audi V10, which in turn is based on the Lambo V10. The bore is smaller on the VW-Audi engine, while the stroke is longer than the Lambo.
Not quite, the Audi V10 shares nothing apart from the drivetrain for the camshafts...
EVO - Audi S6 first drive said:
That price is not a lot more than the ?50K for the RS4, which has marginally less power - 414bhp from its high-revving V8 - and there's arguably more kudos to driving a fast Audi with the Gallardo engine under its bonnet.

That's not quite what you're getting, though. Audi describes the 5.2-litre V10 as a 'derivative' of the Lamborghini's V10, and in fact the 5.2 shares very few components with the 5-litre Lamborghini unit, the only significant shared parts being the drivetrain for the four camshafts. The reason is that the Audi V10s are built at the same factory as every other Audi engine, which, for economies of scale, has been configured to produce engines with a common 90mm bore spacing. The bore spacing of the Gallardo engine is 88mm. This is how the Audi V10 ends up with a different cylinder block, a new crankshaft, different pistons and new camshafts, while the more restricted engine bay, plus Audi's desire to give the engine its FSI direct injection, result in bespoke induction and exhaust systems and a new sump.
Source...

According to Car and Driver it IS based on the Lambo V10... It says so on this month's supersedan comparisson. But I'm too lazy to link to it

words words words

Wow - you gonna tell me that the Earth is flat next?

The car I saw in the shop had the cylinder head removed - unless you're calling me stupid and a liar, I saw five cylinders lined up in a row in that Jetta.

Wow - you gonna tell me that the Earth is flat next?

The car I saw in the shop had the cylinder head removed - unless you're calling me stupid and a liar, I saw five cylinders lined up in a row in that Jetta.

Well, sorry, but you didn't say that before.

He did :p
Visited my friend's VW shop here in town last week, and as always I took a look around the garage area to see what's happening. There was a Mk5 Jetta in there, and I can assure you that the engine in that car is a true inline-5, with all five cylinders line up in a nice, neat row.

Im not going to comment on the engine layout, but yes... it sounds great!

At the moment, the V5 version isn't even for sale here.
A 2.0l 4 cylinder engine producing 150hp is available though.

The US Spec Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder 20 Valve engine based on the 5.0 V10 40 Valve of the Gallardo, and it sounds very nice when modded; listen to it:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnZS0zwQTI&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNziVoRWhEM&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmrXf9RgEjY&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

The only thing that really disappoints me, is that VW managed to squeeze only 150 Bhp of this engine. I'm sorry, but that is just absolutely pathetic. A normally aspirated 2.5 20 Valve 5 Cylinder engine could easily output 200 Bhp.

Please tell me how to get 200hp