Ownership Verified: The Waft-O-Matic fat man car. Meet Sumo, Loose Units E39 523i

90s stereos almost certainly use some sort of MUX chip, which handles input selection, volume control, tone control, etc. It's better to find that and solder your aux to its input. Usually you can do that just for AM, for example, so other functionality wont suffer. It's usually pretty obvious to id the chip. I've done that to multiple radios now. I can help if you send me schematics, or even just good photos of the circuit board ;)

Will the AM side have stereo output? Given that AM should only be mono from the tower?

Will the AM side have stereo output? Given that AM should only be mono from the tower?

In all instances that I've seen, MUX chip has stereo input, and AM signal is wired to both pins. Although it's possible that some older radio has single "radio" input to MUX, and am/fm switching is handled separately. That might be slightly more difficult.

In all instances that I've seen, MUX chip has stereo input, and AM signal is wired to both pins. Although it's possible that some older radio has single "radio" input to MUX, and am/fm switching is handled separately. That might be slightly more difficult.

Okay, good to know.

I used to have 2 of those! When the car I thought would be the last in my family that use cassette was sold I gave one to the buyer. Now that I bought my Mercedes which has aftermarket cassette radio I'm scrambling to find where the other one has gone. :lol:

I used to have 2 of those! When the car I thought would be the last in my family that use cassette was sold I gave one to the buyer. Now that I bought my Mercedes which has aftermarket cassette radio I'm scrambling to find where the other one has gone. :lol:

?12 on Amazon.

This is my colleagues Facelift E39 530iA with almost every single option available. I like it :)

You should combine those plates for BM W 523.

It's so wafty!

First problems have shown up. According to DaBoom it is probably the cam position sensor.

Failing to start, rough running at low RPM and loss of power at high RPM.

I have someone who might have a reader that can check and see if there are any error codes, if not I will just replace the CPS and hope it works.

So Wolf and I fiddled with it and it broke :p

Awesome! This is nice!

Really like the color combination, even if the outside is a bit boring.
To make the (same) engine (that I have) feel like it?s going somewhere I would prefer a manual box with it. However, for the money that?s a hell of a car. Then again a big comfortable cruiser with automatic gearbox and a very nice sounding six cylinder that doesn?t have too many horsepower - not bad actually.

Ordered the cam position sensor.

Awesome! This is nice!

Really like the color combination, even if the outside is a bit boring.

To make the (same) engine (that I have) feel like it?s going somewhere I would prefer a manual box with it. However, for the money that?s a hell of a car. Then again a big comfortable cruiser with automatic gearbox and a very nice sounding six cylinder that doesn?t have too many horsepower - not bad actually.

I would almost prefer a manual also, but all my other cars are manuals so it makes a nice change and just adds too the waftyness of it :)

I can set the cruise control to 200 and it will waft along happily :)

7 year old winter tires also livened up the ringlap a bit. :p