The Weather Thread

Currently the weather is making me grateful that I live on a hill and we don't get flooded up here. It gets windy but that's all and the fences are held up by a small forest these days.

Current weather has me looking for reasonable gloves for driving :| my fleece ones don't really work.

It's currently lashing with rain with wind gusting up to 90 km/h. Shame as yesterday was clear, calm, bright and sunny. At least the weather got things the right way around.

Screenshot_2014-01-02-09-37-59.png.png

Fuck.

This.

Shit.

That's what we are going to see next Monday and Tuesday.

The recent snow storm illustrated what some around my area call "The 88 effect" Whereas a storm will be heavier or lighter depending on what side of Interstate 88 you are on. I live South of 88, so I got about 4 inches of snow. I work North of Interstate 88 and we got 6 inches there.

Though I am not a meteorologist, just a amateur one, I theorize it has something to do with Lake Michigan.

I don't mind a winter storm, in fact I love those, it's the extreme cold I can't stand.

At least 4 days from now I'll be in a hotel on a beach...
In England :|

The recent snow storm illustrated what some around my area call "The 88 effect" Whereas a storm will be heavier or lighter depending on what side of Interstate 88 you are on. I live South of 88, so I got about 4 inches of snow. I work North of Interstate 88 and we got 6 inches there.

Though I am not a meteorologist, just a amateur one, I theorize it has something to do with Lake Michigan.

We have similar anecdotally proven effects north/south of Kiel Canal... which are more likely being caused by more or less distance to the Baltic Sea, if at all statistically true.

It's 70*F here. :)

When will you get the fires?

I will take the cold, you can deal with the flames.

So we have had rather a lot of wind and rain in Ukania for the last few weeks. This happened yesterday...

Windchill here is currently -50 C. And in a few days temps will be hovering around 0 C. Blame it all on a "polar vortex" and nearly a foot of snow dumped on us.

I quit watching the news, it seems to be a white out. Haven't measured the snow, but there is a bunch of it. I am staying inside where it is warm.

Later this week we are expecting rain, or at least a mix for a few days. That is when it will be fun.

Temperature is holding steady at -17?F/-27?C with the wind chill at -45?F/-43?C. Tomorrow will be a balmy -1?F. I'm not leaving the house until it gets above 0, but I am doing a lot of baking.

Temperature is holding steady at -17?F/-27?C with the wind chill at -45?F/-43?C. Tomorrow will be a balmy -1?F. I'm not leaving the house until it gets above 0, but I am doing a lot of baking.

I kind of did that yesterday; I figured it was a good time to run the self cleaning function on the stove and, oh darn, I had to run three loads of laundry so the dryer was going all day.

How are you guys keeping your house warm? It's 2F here and keeping this old farm house 67F is making the heater run overtime.

My furnace runs about every 15 minutes at that temperature, I have a 1200 square foot 2 story house built in 2005 so it very energy efficient, then I also trick the thermostat by having all the hot air blow downstairs via a duct mixer, and do the opposite in the summer. Right now, it is warmer downstairs than up, it's a really weird sensation.

As it is, my electricity bill is never more than $50.

Last edited: