James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

i am delighted there are people on here who post this stuff. thank you for releasing me of my boredom :bow:

Thanks. I keep forgetting to check his column so this is greatly appreciated.

If Jeremy has a thread, James is entitled to his. ;)

Does this mean we have to read Richard's as well? Because, well, I'd have an opinion about that, and it might not be a popular one.

I don't think so either. There's just his weekly car reviews/motoring news blog posts for the Mirror (they go online every Friday).

Richard is apparently thinking about learning how to fly helicopters. James objects and explains why.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...The-future-of-transport-is-up-in-the-air.html

My mate Colin, who spends most of his time in his shed and is therefore something of a thinker, says that a helicopter is like a woman: the more time you spend examining it and trying to understand how it works, the more terrified you'll be of going anywhere near it. My objection to the helicopter is that it makes such a bloody appalling song and dance about flying.

That is a classic quote.

I like this one, as well:

A proper aeroplane, as used by people of taste and refinement, simply needs to move forwards at a brisk trot to be rewarded with the miracle of flight. A helicopter doesn't really fly at all, as far as I can make out. It screams and bawls like a spoilt brat until physics eventually gives in and says, "Oh, all right, all right, off you go then."

LindenChase said:
I can't wait for the first Top Gear race with [James] flying, Hammond helicoptering and Jezza doing whatever he does.

Jezza would be the one in a proper car, of course, shouting "POWEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!" and declaring that the other two haven't a hope in hell. ;)

James May said:
Lots can go wrong with my small aeroplane before disaster threatens. The engine can disintegrate, bits can fall off, some of the controls can seize, and I could still get it down...If you could somehow take a light aeroplane up in a balloon and toss it out, it would sort itself out and start flying; even if the engine was off and there was no one on board.

THIS is simultaneously what makes airplanes awesomely cool and helicopters as well. How awesome is it that an airplane is so inspired by nature that it continues to work with nature even with left to its own devices? And how awesome is it that you can take those same laws of physics and beat them backwards and also fly? Engineering physics is cool.

^ Could do. :nod:

May's latest all about fixed vs. rotary-wing aircraft.

May said:
A proper aeroplane, as used by people of taste and refinement, simply needs to move forwards at a brisk trot to be rewarded with the miracle of flight. A helicopter doesn't really fly at all, as far as I can make out. It screams and bawls like a spoilt brat until physics eventually gives in and says, "Oh, all right, all right, off you go then."
:lmao:

Last edited:
Yes, they still haven't put up the latest one.

If anyone actually bought the papery version on Saturday, can you confirm he had a column?

Yep, it was there. If they don't put it up online, I'll post the scan one of the wonderful ladies over on the James May Board posted earlier. :)