James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

The weekly reminder - with thanks as always to Maygrail - to the DT staff that they haven't put the column online yet:

DT19122009.jpg

Only James is able to bring in Rococo architecture into a motoring column. :)

Which is why he should be on QI. As we all know :D

Doesn't matter, I say. I still want to see him on there! :nod:

The reason why James May is never on QI is that if he were on, he would win and be a million points ahead of all the others. Every. Single. Time.

QFT!
BTW, check out what I saw at MPH/TG Live Bottom row :D
4208942005_094d95b50a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. That Prodrive = WANT!!!

QFT!
BTW, check out what I saw at MPH/TG Live Bottom row :D
4208942005_094d95b50a_b.jpg

:love::love::love: XJR-9LM - J12 - #488... a.k.a. The Car That Won Le Mans in '88 for Britain. With an Englishman, a Scotsman and an honorary Englishman (Dutchie) behind the wheel.

In front of 80 thousand Brits in a crowd of 250 thousand on that glorious day of June 12th, 1988.

Last edited:
Just in time for Christmas (Eve)! ;)

And now in time for Boxing Day! Maybe they wanted to give you a break from calling on Maygrail. :)

I also hear that young people are currently having difficulty finding work ? and that they drink too much.

So let's give them lorries and send them out to pour alcopops all over the roads. They'll smell a lot nicer, too.

Who - the young people or the roads? ;)

Last edited:
Me too, totally. Clearly written by an observant and wryly amused cat owner.

I can't believe he didn't mention that flying when there's snow on the ground and it's sunny seems to give the plane a lot more lift. (My dad had a Piper Tri-Pacer and we went flying a lot when my sister and I were little). I can't remember if it was due to the air being colder (denser) or the sun shining on snow but it was quite noticible and fun, plus being beautiful!

He has a point...I hate the snow. I hate the ice.

And quit rusting out my cars!

I wish they wouldn't salt either. It wrecks cars, and makes a mess. The sand isn't much better, but at least you can wash it off. We don't get a lot of snow here, but since I used to have to drive up to the mountains to teach skiing (and "oh the roads were terrible so I couldn't make it" is no excuse) I've driven in all sorts of conditions. Really, if I had to choose the one thing that makes the most difference, it's appropriate tires. The ones made for ice racing soft rubber without studs, are the best. Unfortunately, they wear out quickly so you can't use them all the time, so for most people they're not an option. But, a good all season will get you lots of places with careful driving, and almost any snow condition, except new snow at 32F/0C that gets compressed so there's a layer of freezing water on it. That's the worst, bar none.

Cats on the M-1 made me snicker and think of one of mine who seems to think it's ok to sleep on the heat vent and hog all the hot air coming thru. Little heat sucker opportunists...:lol:

What about that! The new column is online already! Topical one as well, about how to deal with snow on the roads:

One idea involves storing solar energy or the exhaust heat from industry and using it to warm our main roads from underneath during the night, but I can see a problem with that. By the morning, the M1 would be covered in cats.

I love this man, I really do. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/6880283/Snow-its-the-white-stuff.html

Omigoodness yes.

*remembers that her own cat needs some warmth; goes to open blinds and admit sunbeams suitable for warming cat bellies*