James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

Current column...which isn't on the Torygraph's website yet.

As for Fusker, Sarah (aka Woman) probably looks after him when James isn't around.

I wonder if this recent getaway was somehow Top Gear related?

I don't think so. In the last couple of years he and Woman always went away to some sunny destination aroud New Year's Eve. He wrote some really good columns about them, on Sri Lanka last year and Damascus the year before.

It's a bit too early to be filming for TG. They don't usually start on that until around April-ish. It would've had to be a holiday.

Anyhoo, while it may be an interesting place, I'm not sure I could handle Zanzibar. Eeep!

Just ewww. Why do they always find these weirdos in the States?

It's the land of the free, home of the brave :lol:

Thanks to LindenChase for getting this back on track, whew.

Is it just that I'm a little slow or did anyone else have to read this three times to figure out what James was trying to say? Too much brain work on only one cup of coffee...

Anyhoo, while it may be an interesting place, I'm not sure I could handle Zanzibar. Eeep!

I sent the link to the mate I mentioned earlier, the one that lives on Zanzibar. They have had a black out for more than five weeks now and on top of that a heat wave. Generators are also needed to operate the waterpumps and because of lack of fuel and lack of money, people have started to drink contaminated water and as a result there is now cholera on the island. :cry:

Bring on solar power.

hush, hush...;)

< Snip! There goes the article. >

James has been to Zanzibar!

Ah, Zanzibar... been there, done that... It was a lovely place to unwind after a safari in Tanzania. I met another Dutch woman who actually lived on the island and she showed me Stone Town properly. Good times!

I really like James's travel stories. :)

Thanks to Maygrail for the scan.

Zanzibar is the name of a strip joint here in Toronto. Had a bit of a giggle at that.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/tottiestar2/dt3012010.jpg

James is happy with the takeover by Spyker of Saab. I have a soft spot for Saab, as it used to be my dad's favourite car. His last four or five cars were all Saabs. He was even invited over on a daytrip to Sweden once, to visit the factory. He was well chuffed by that. :)

As always, many thans to Maygrail for the scan.

Last edited:
I don't think so. In the last couple of years he and Woman always went away to some sunny destination aroud New Year's Eve. He wrote some really good columns about them, on Sri Lanka last year and Damascus the year before.
Hmm. Not your typical holiday destinations, are they? But that's good. I like a man with an adventurous spirit.

BTW, thanks for the latest column, LC!

Zanzibar is the name of a strip joint here in Toronto. Had a bit of a giggle at that.
Sweet mother of pearl! Is that place still around?

I'm with James - bring on the interestingly quirky saab!

Yunno, out of curiosity, I looked up her column, and I saw she's posted several columns either on New Years Eve, or on the first few days after the first. For the last few years.

Doesn't she go with him on these outings?

Yunno, out of curiosity, I looked up her column, and I saw she's posted several columns either on New Years Eve, or on the first few days after the first. For the last few years.

Doesn't she go with him on these outings?

She may very well submit them ahead of time and the editor/website maintainer/whoever etc. posts them.

dailytelegraph6february2010.jpg

James takes another look at the Gocycle, the electric bike he toyed around with in the last Top Gear episode. Looks like fun to me, but apart from hiking, cycling is the only exercise I ge, so it wouldn't be a wise idea. ;)

Thanks this week go to DutchDiva for the scan!