James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

James takes another look at the Gocycle, the electric bike he toyed around with in the last Top Gear episode. Looks like fun to me, but apart from hiking, cycling is the only exercise I ge, so it wouldn't be a wise idea. ;)

Thanks this week go to DutchDiva for the scan!

the name "Goc-ycle" will forever stay in my mind when i see the name of this bike.

maybe cause its the first way i heard it said.

or maybe cause it sounds a bit better than "go-cycle".

Just have to be really careful how you store it. When I lived in an apartment building some idiot stored several gas cans in the basement, and on Christmas Eve fumes filled the building. All the tennants had to keep outside the building until the fire department had used big fans to get the fumes out, which took till the next day. Otherwise, any spark would have blown the place up. Nice. :mad:

I second James. Not having spare gas around is not awesome. Especially when you have a lawnmower, or other yard tools that also take gas. Also, at least here in Houston, you never know when the next hurricane could blow in and you may need to start your generator! OK, obviously not something May is worried about. :p

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed this but James mentions being in Alaska...was this for TG ??

I can't remember, but I thought I read an article about him being there a few years back?

I'd have to go look. Linden will probably be the one to ask. :)

He talks about it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2726481/As-seen-on-TV-No-snow-please-were-British.html

I'm too tired to read it through completely, its from 2004, but he doesn't specifically mention it was for TG, I don't think....? Not sure, I'm tired. :)

Last edited:
He talks about it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2726481/As-seen-on-TV-No-snow-please-were-British.html

I'm too tired to read it through completely, its from 2004, but he doesn't specifically mention it was for TG, I don't think....? Not sure, I'm tired. :)

That's the one I meant when I suggested the Alaska Highway in the Challenge thread. :p

It wasn't for Top Gear. Before he joined them he did quite a lot of travelling for Car Magazine apparentely.
Very appropriate column by the way for this winter. Although James himself has of course buggered off to warmer climatezones. :D

Last edited:
The problem with gas cans is they breed like rabbits in the shed. You get one, fill it, use it, then leave it empty until you need it again. Next time you buy a second, fill both, use one, intend to fill it, forget, use second, intend to fill both, need gas, buy a third...

The problem with gas cans is they breed like rabbits in the shed. You get one, fill it, use it, then leave it empty until you need it again. Next time you buy a second, fill both, use one, intend to fill it, forget, use second, intend to fill both, need gas, buy a third...

:lol:, too true! Or in the case of my husband, I need a diagram to figure out which one I need.

Hubby: "OK, this one is a 50/50 oil/gas mix for the weed eater, this one is a 40/60 oil/gas mix for the chainsaw, this is diesel, this is-"

Me: "WHERE'S THE REGULAR GAS?!?!?"

:lol:, too true! Or in the case of my husband, I need a diagram to figure out which one I need.

Hubby: "OK, this one is a 50/50 oil/gas mix for the weed eater, this one is a 40/60 oil/gas mix for the chainsaw, this is diesel, this is-"

Me: "WHERE'S THE REGULAR GAS?!?!?"

Just for fun I did the count today, 14. True 3 are mixed, but that leaves 11, one for every two years of married life. We did fill all of them ahead of Ike, but we were only without power for 12 hours. Today, they are all empty.

James doesn't like a barbecue!?

:blink:

I would have to assume its like most other Aussie things.... just for Aussies.

My boss is an Aussie and she's.... different, especially here in Texas. Loves Vegemite, went to a uni, has breaky in the morning, and when she married her American hubby, they "took a holiday back home and my brothers and uni friends took him out late and tied him naked to a tree for sport!"

:blink:

I would hazard a guess that Aussie BBQ and US BBQ (any variety) have nothing in common.

Please. Otherwise May's just insane. :p

I would hazard a guess that Aussie BBQ and US BBQ (any variety) have nothing in common.

Please. Otherwise May's just insane. :p

makes me wonder... are the Aussies to blame for people who say grilling is BBQ?

hmmmm

makes me wonder... are the Aussies to blame for people who say grilling is BBQ?

hmmmm

No doubt. "Its not burned, its barbecued!"

No. Stop. That's charring, grilling, etc. BBQ = sauces, marinades, thought. :lol:

I like both, but yes, much difference. :D