James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

Just after that column went online there appeared to be a brief, cheerful comment from James, but it was quickly taken down. Later, one of the regular posters admitted it was him, and he'd found a way of faking a comment. For a moment there I, and no doubt many others, felt there may be a ray of hope that James and the Telegraph were on speaking terms again.

Just after that column went online there appeared to be a brief, cheerful comment from James, but it was quickly taken down. Later, one of the regular posters admitted it was him, and he'd found a way of faking a comment. For a moment there I, and no doubt many others, felt there may be a ray of hope that James and the Telegraph were on speaking terms again.

I assume James is registered for comments with the Daily Telegraph itself. The faker (Esscoss - who else?) presumably registered with James's name on Disqus or whatever the other one is. No system is foolproof

I assume James is registered for comments with the Daily Telegraph itself.

:nod: I think his handle/username is "jamesdmay".

I've picked up a tweet earlier today

James May leaving the Telegraph. Wonder if it is artistic differences (!) or just a better offer?

followed later by this from @MrJamesMay, which I am pretty sure is run by his agent, Fiona, at Arlington:

No longer writing for the Telegraph but archive of columns will be available online if you need a quick fix

If this is indeed true, I doubt whether any of us will be surprised.

Well, I guess it is better knowing than living in hope week after week.

It would've been better if we'd known this SIX MONTHS AGO. :mad:

It would've been better if we'd known this SIX MONTHS AGO. :mad:

Maybe the decision wasn't decided 6 months ago, but now it is. Is there a sad face icon? Or one with big tears?

Maybe the decision wasn't decided 6 months ago, but now it is. Is there a sad face icon? Or one with big tears?

There's only a slightly glum icon, like this :(

I can only assume this is a recent(ish) decision, as it doesn't quite square up with what he told MWF earlier in the year - that the DT wanted him to start writing again.

I shall miss his writing in the Telegraph -it was how I "met" James first. His stuff for Top Gear magazine is less eccentric, somehow, so not so much fun.

There's only a slightly glum icon, like this :(

I can only assume this is a recent(ish) decision, as it doesn't quite square up with what he told MWF earlier in the year - that the DT wanted him to start writing again.

I shall miss his writing in the Telegraph -it was how I "met" James first. His stuff for Top Gear magazine is less eccentric, somehow, so not so much fun.

Again, nearly two months ago now, James stated that the Telegraph wasn't paying him. Failure to take what a man says at face value...

There's this emoticon - :cry:

The decision is definitely very recent. I don't want to quote directly as that seems inappropriate, but at the end of September I e-mailed the Telegraph and had a very cautious reply that suggested negotiations were at, perhaps, a rather delicate stage. Clearly it's gone pear-shaped since then.

Where will The Forum meet now? Who will Countrollo insult now?

End of an era.

Perhaps...

:cry:

I really hope James will start writing for one of the other papers. I'd love to see him appear in the Guardian.

I wish the Telegraph would just fess up and plainly tell people what's up. Dragging this on while readers are obviously waiting doesn't strike me as professional, or accountable.

PigFly.gif

Sadly, I concur with that thought.

Why thank you for that Diti.

Can you imagine the reaction of the Graudiad readership if it were announced that a Top Gear presenter was going to be a regular columnist? They'd keel over face first into their organic wholegrain muesli.

:cry:

I really hope James will start writing for one of the other papers. I'd love to see him appear in the Guardian.

I've been trying to work out which paper James would write for next. The Guardian wasn't anywhere near the forefront of my thoughts. (Or, for that matter, the Fail, for practically the same reasoning Amie8 stated: the Fail readership would be asking for someone's head if that happened.) My initial thought was he'd join Jeremy at the Times. Personally, I think it'd be awesome if he got up his own website or blog; then he'd have complete control over his [future] writings in every sense.

I wish the Telegraph would just fess up and plainly tell people what's up. Dragging this on while readers are obviously waiting doesn't strike me as professional, or accountable.

This times eleventy. :nod: