James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

I am sure James will have no problems at all getting the deal he wants with another paper, if this is what he wants to do. Good luck, Mr May, we all want to see you writing again and you have our support :) Please don't go to the Fail...

I am sure James will have no problems at all getting the deal he wants with another paper, if this is what he wants to do. Good luck, Mr May, we all want to see you writing again and you have our support :) Please don't go to the Fail...

The problem is there aren't that many national papers in the UK. The Daily Telegraph was a good fit for James. The Times already has Clarkson, the Guardian would crumble to dust if it employed a journalist who actually liked cars (although the comments would be fun), and the Independent is even more entrenched on environmental issues than the Guardian and much of its readership appears to be made up of foaming, swivel-eyed nutters. Which only leaves the tabloids, including the Fail.

Perhaps it would be better for him to find a nice magazine to write for, maybe once a month to take the pressure off a bit.

The Times already has Clarkson,

Only for the Sunday Times. If he went there, James wouldn't have to write for the Motoring section, and he wouldn't have to have a weekend column.

Last edited:
This is extremely odd. I thought at first they were re-running an old extract from the 'A330 Airbus' book (much of which was Man Lab series 1 stuff), but it's definitely from the new book.

So why would they describe James as "our erstwhile columnist" after everything that's gone before?

I'm also surprised there are no comments underneath, especially as the column's been up all day.

erstwhile = former

Ah, didn't explain myself clearly enough. Sorry about that. I usually try to be quite good with words.

I think what I meant was - why are they able to publish an extract from the new book (which as far as I can tell from reading about half way through so far has no DT content, nor would it as it is Man Lab) when they acknowledge he is not their columnist any longer?

Ahhhh, okay. :)

Hrm... :think:

The fact that James doens't write for them anymore, doesn't mean they now hate each other. They just parted ways.

The fact that James doens't write for them anymore, doesn't mean they now hate each other. They just parted ways.

It won't be long before the Telegraph starts seeing other motoring columnists, and James starts seeing other newspapers. They'll remain friends anyway and may, in the future, run into each other at a mutual acquaintances Holiday Party where they'll exchange awkward hello-how-are-yas and privately think about the good times they had and wonder where things went awry. The Telegraph will be happy to see James writing better than ever for his new paper, James will be happy to see the Telegraph with its shiny new columnist. Yes, they had good times, but it truly was time to move on...

Unless, of course, James learns that the columnist had been seeing the Telegraph in their six month trial break up. In that case, he hopes they'll be miserable together.

It won't be long before the Telegraph starts seeing other motoring columnists, and James starts seeing other newspapers. They'll remain friends anyway and may, in the future, run into each other at a mutual acquaintances Holiday Party where they'll exchange awkward hello-how-are-yas and privately think about the good times they had and wonder where things went awry. The Telegraph will be happy to see James writing better than ever for his new paper, James will be happy to see the Telegraph with its shiny new columnist. Yes, they had good times, but it truly was time to move on...

Unless, of course, James learns that the columnist had been seeing the Telegraph in their six month trial break up. In that case, he hopes they'll be miserable together.

Yep, that made me laugh.

And, presumably, the correct amount of money has changed hands

Cynical, but probably accurate.