The "Which shows do YOU consider ALMOST as awesome as Top Gear?" Thread

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Since the "Who have Top Gear insulted this week?" thread has drifted off topic into a debate about what other shows we all like eg Torchwood, Psychoville etc etc I thought I'd start this as a separate topic. As well as provoking debate it might introduce forum members to shows they might otherwise never have looked at, especially useful for those weeks when TG is off the air.

Here's a few of our faves to kick off with:

Lie To Me
The Mentalist
House
Hustle
Mythbusters
Criminal Minds
Shark (sadly cancelled)
Doctor Who
Spooks (MI5 in the US)
ER (again sadly finished now)
Mock the Week (thanks Charles, forgot that one!)

What about you guys?

Last edited:
Mock The Week (just started up this week, with Frankie Boyle & company in blistering form on the topic of Michael Jackson and Wimbledon)
That Mitchell and Webb Look

Mock The Week (just started up this week, with Frankie Boyle & company in blistering form on the topic of Michael Jackson and Wimbledon)
That Mitchell and Webb Look

Did not take Frankie Boyle too long before he was in the gutter.
He's a sick bastard but a funny sick bastard:lol:

Did not take Frankie Boyle too long before he was in the gutter.
He's a sick bastard but a funny sick bastard:lol:

Dammit, when's the repeat?

In terms of watchability and rewatchability, there are very few that can compare

I can agree with Mythbusters and House. I love both of them and can sit at my comp or TV and watch a marathon straight through.

I can't really think of many others. The only other thing that I could watch countless times over and rewatch old episodes of and still laugh at them are cartoons/comedy shows. Specifically Laurel & Hardy, Tom & Jerry, and I love Lucy.

Yes I really did put Top gear and Tom & Jerry in the same paragraph.

I'm addicted to QI. Stephen Fry + Alan Davies = absolute win.

The American show that I geeked out over is officially finished (Battlestar Galactica). Broadcast TV has become rather boring now that it's summer. Although I agree, Lie To Me is a good one, I'll be looking forward to its return in the fall.

Like i said in another thread Torchwood has really raised it's game this year.
Wonder if any ITV shows make the list.:lol:

Reactions: MWF
Like i said in another thread Torchwood has really raised it's game this year.
Wonder if any ITV shows make the list.:lol:

Not a chance. Apart from Corrie ITV don't show anything without that Anton Deck geezer. He's both very annoying.

And thanks, I always forget iPlayer.

I sometimes watch Mythbusters. I like watching serials Monk and polish remake od Ugly Betty

For me, the only shows with as much, if not more, replay value as Top Gear are:

The Office
Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (British version)
Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations

HIGNFY, Battlestar Galactica, Futurama, The Simpsons of course, MST3K, Star Trek, Twilight Zone, X-files

I don't really watch anything "new" on TV.

I can only really suggest Torchwood, which was already mentioned.

US television has been an utter snore lately. During the spring season I watched some House, Gray's Anatomy (mostly 1 season before it turned into crap), the US version of Kitchen Nightmares. Good Eats and Dinner Impossible are both on my regular schedule. Though I'm not handy I'm amused by This Old House and watch most weeks. I think that's all the shows I plan to watch. Everything else I just catch because I happen to be on that channel.

I've gotten bored with Mythbusters the past few seasons. They seem to have run out of ideas they're passionate about. Back when they were on I used to love: Junkyard Wars (Scrapheap challenge), Babylon 5, various Trek shows.

I'd watch a tennis grand slam final over top gear.

Almost as awesome - scrubs used to be, the office, the simpsons.

Is Mythbusters like that most haunted crap?
We got doctor who in the uk but a lot of my shows are now made in the USA BSG bone and house.
Love the big bang theory
And Charlie Brooker on his ch4 showed this clip where a USA tv wanted to know who would win in a fight with the IRA and tailban. That was funny.
The British won if anyone was wondering :tease:

X-Files, South Park, House, Entourage, Mythbusters and the four Grand Slam tournaments are just a few things I would choose over Top Gear.

There, I said it.

Top Gear is, for me, "only" one of my favorites and the best automotive show there is, but not THE best but if TV........................in the world. I don't die a little inside whenever a season ends or start shitting myself when a new season is only two days away and therefore find the title of this thread a bit....well, let's just say it's not to my liking, even though it may not be all that serious. It's "just" a very, really good television show.

*waits for the flames to errupt*

Last edited:
Dammit, when's the repeat?

No idea, but I get a repeat every time I double-click on the file :mrgreen:.

Is Mythbusters like that most haunted crap?

Nah, it's more like Brainiac or other explodey semi-scientific method-based shows. Basically it takes urban legends based on something somewhat testable and actually tests them

Last edited:
Adding the 'ALMOST' as awesome as Top Gear bit on the end there makes this thread a lot harder to reply to than just giving you a list of the shows I enjoy watching (most of them are on the BBC).

I think the best way for me to answer would be to list the shows I HAVE TO WATCH as they go out - the ones I don't like to wait and catch on Sky+ - the shows that, as a new series starts, I sit on the sofa and hide the remote so my wife can't change the channel and turn all the lights out so I can watch in the dark.

Torchwood
Doctor Who
Spooks
Hustle
Ashes to Ashes
The Thick of It

And on Radio

Old Harry's Game
Electric Ink
I'm Sorry I haven't a clue
Just a minute