The who have Top Gear insulted this week thread

The problem I am having with your original statement you said something insulting about mexicans, then told everyone to complain to the BBC about Top Gear insulting mexicans.
You could also say "Many mexicans who come here are criminals like drug dealers and rapists." and that would also be true, because any selection of a large group of people regardless of race or nationality is going to have a bunch of bad people, especially if the selection is doing something like illegally entering a country. That's like saying the majority of people in X third world country who steal have to. Sure there are plenty who do but that doesn't mean the vast majority of people committing X crime are in fact doing it for good moral reasons.
Just because something is true doesn't mean it isn't something that isn't insulting when applied to the entire population and the way you sounded if you had made that comment on TV you might have to issue an apology as well.

It was wrong of me to leave out that there are many legal citizens of Mexican background who have professional jobs. That said, this is a forum, not a TV show, and I hope I've made it clear that I was attempting to make the point that Mexicans are not lazy, and that I wasn't trying to generalize negatively about a group of people. If I were on TV, I would need to apologize.

Yet there seems to be very few complaints about the constant Germany bashing...

Yet there seems to be very few complaints about the constant Germany bashing...

Second that, if we mexicans are to complain about the top gear insults we should get a ticket and stand in line behind Germany, USA, France, Italy, and so on even them selfs, in that same bit of news Jeremy did a very sharp joke about Richard and knocking him self out at the wheel of a fast car... that's the jokes we love.

however I do think the jokes were a bit nastier than usual but nothing wrong with that, the only problem is that they ofended the ambassador directly. Nothing a quick public apology wont fix

Now I can wait to see what Jeremy has to say about it next week

I've got to be honest the whole mexican segment seemed like it was shoehorned in as an excuse to say something that would get them in the papers this week. I think that's a bit sad really. I think they might have jumped the shark with that bit.

That's how I saw it.
I think if they accidentally upset someone by just being themselves is one thing, but I find it a little sad that they are now going out of their way to do it.

" Originally Posted by Cobol74

As a side issue:
I always found it odd that the Spanish and Portugese got South America, and the British and French got North America - look who ended up rich and who poor. I would have thought that South America has at least the same potential as North America. I wonder what went wrong, perhaps they did not have a revolution/freedom at the right time? Anyone know?"

First off, Mexico is geographically and geopolitically in North America.
Second, Well, more than half of Mexico including once oil rich Texas and once Gold rich California used to be Mexico until the Americans with the "destiny manifest" decided that it was a great opportunity to invade San Antonio with settlers and then force a war since Mexico was a political mess after a revolution.

What would the story tell if all that California Gold and all that Texas oil, and all that cotton land had remained in Mexico? Only God knows.

We Americans are very good at one thing, that is... eating the small guy's lunch. Now I don't know if that is a good thing or not, but that is the way it is unfortunately.

or
http://twitter.com/#!/search/"top gear"
http://twitter.com/#!/search/"james may"
http://twitter.com/#!/search/"richard hammond"
What I like most about all this, is that the morons behind the several fake accounts have been inundated with angry tweets as well. :mrgreen:

I guess I'm just showing my age, but is Twitter the most stupid fad on the internet or is there actually useful information there, buried amongst the "I just farted" tweets? I can't figure out who is tweeting what to whom ... there just seems to be a lot of repetition of "Definici?n de estas personas: trio de Ignorantes"

I guess I'm just showing my age, but is Twitter the most stupid fad on the internet or is there actually useful information there, buried amongst the "I just farted" tweets? I can't figure out who is tweeting what to whom ... there just seems to be a lot of repetition of "Definici?n de estas personas: trio de Ignorantes"

Well, considering Twitter was closed down immediately by the authorities in Tunesia and Egypt in the last week, there must be something in it.

Twitter can be great fun and very useful as you only follow the people you actually like and who tweet the kind of things you are interested in. Next to persons, you can also opt to read the tweets about subjects you like, eg "Top Gear" or "Pamela Anderson" or the company you work for. You don't see 99,99% of all tweets out there.

Last edited:
^ Thanks, went back and found something in English. :)

It isn't hugely funny, but their take on Brian Sewell commentating the recent Premier League transfers is hilarious. (This isn't completely off-topic .. he was one of the contestants in the boffin burnout segment they in a very early episode.) :lol:

^ Thanks, went back and found something in English. :)

It isn't hugely funny, but their take on Brian Sewell commentating the recent Premier League transfers is hilarious. (This isn't completely off-topic .. he was one of the contestants in the boffin burnout segment they in a very early episode.) :lol:

I found that funny.

You know, I have been on here looking for the last couple of nights trying to decide where I will be taking my son for his birthday this year. There will be 6 of us and I had almost just clicked the button to book a nice AI in Cancun, but I think I will wait until I see what comes of all of this. There are a lot of countries in that part of the world that would like to have our 12 thousand or so dollars. All we need is a place to dive and for the guys, someplace to drink.

what about the British and French Africa? or Haiti, French Guiana?

the exploration/colonization model from north and south America were quite different, each part if their struggles, challenges and history

anyway, about the Mexico jokes, I have nothing to do with Mexico, but I thought it was really unnecessary and uncalled for, also quite unfunny... but whatever
It is difficult to compare like with like in those cases. Haiti has been independent for a long time they threw the French out a long time ago - you could compare them to San Domingo who seem to have done better.

British Africa, interesting one that, in general only part of the empire for a relatively short time (some colonies were German lost following the end of WWI) but again compare those countries with French Colonies and I think that their outcomes have been broadly similar - Belgium on the other hand - Congo has been under great stress since they left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa

If you are Brazillian you must ask yourself the same question - how has this happened? I do not know, it just looks so odd and I would like to understand. My only suggestion is that the US became independent in 1776 but South America did not until the 1800s and that made all the difference - possibly? I was thinking that the innovation was stifeled by the home countries - Portugal and Spain because of the longer period of colonisation?

Last edited:
It is difficult to compare like with like in those cases. Haiti has been independent for a long time they threw the French out a long time ago - you could compare them to San Domingo who seem to have done better.

British Africa, interesting one that, in general only part of the empire for a relatively short time (some colonies were German lost following the end of WWI) but again compare those countries with French Colonies and I think that their outcomes have been broadly similar - Belgium on the other hand - Congo has been under great stress since they left.

If you are Brazillian you must ask yourself the same question - how has this happened? I do not know, it just looks so odd and I would like to understand. My only suggestion is that the US became independent in 1776 but South America did not until the 1800s and that made all the difference - possibly? I was thinking that the innovation was stifeled by the home countries - Portugal and Spain because of the longer period of colonisation?

If you get any kind of an answer to your question, please share with me.

The one thing I have noticed when I visit is there is no middle class. You are either very rich or very poor. You either live in a very nice house on a hill or you live in the mud in a shack. (usually with a pig tied up in your front yard and laundry hanging on every available space)

If you get any kind of an answer to your question, please share with me.

The one thing I have noticed when I visit is there is no middle class. You are either very rich or very poor. You either live in a very nice house on a hill or you live in the mud in a shack. (usually with a pig tied up in your front yard and laundry hanging on every available space)

Well guys, if you want answers for your questions I suggest you reading couple of history books. Of course there is not any simple explanation, but it might give you some clues, I am pretty sure those topics are covered.
I guess diffrence between USA and other former colonies is(or was) in culture, political ideology.
I personally dont like the whole colonization thing. European countries really messed up things in some regions (f.e. Africa).
Anyway, this is really :offtopic:

agree'd. also, i would rather have taco bell over kidney pie any day.

POINT OF INFORMATION: There's no such thing as kidney pie, except on old episodes of "Frasier"

You're entitled to your opinion. Funny comics don't typically take things as far as Top Gear did unless they are doing it about their own ethnic or racial background. This may not make that kind of behavior "okay," but it is seen as being more acceptable because they are speaking about themselves. Good examples of this would be people like Chris Rock or Richard Pryor. There are simply just better ways to make comedy so that the viewer can stomach it.
Dave Chappelle was one of the funniest people on TV or stand up, and he made fun of every race/country he could and went as far as possible with it. If you can't laugh about yourself/race/country then you are a bit too serious. I've been made fun of my entire life, doesn't leave me overly angry.

Second that, if we mexicans are to complain about the top gear insults we should get a ticket and stand in line behind Germany, USA, France, Italy, and so on even them selfs, in that same bit of news Jeremy did a very sharp joke about Richard and knocking him self out at the wheel of a fast car... that's the jokes we love.

however I do think the jokes were a bit nastier than usual but nothing wrong with that, the only problem is that they ofended the ambassador directly. Nothing a quick public apology wont fix

Now I can wait to see what Jeremy has to say about it next week

Insulting the ambassador ( a real person who they've probably not met ) was uncalled for, and was just asking for the ambasador to complain, and I can't blame him. The whole thing would have dissapeared had Clarkson not gone there, IMHO. And the other comments were too mean to be funny, really. They've done better.
I too am waiting to see what they do about it.

Last edited: