The Windows 8 Thread: Impressions, news, random thoughts.

Ran it on Vbox 4.0.18 with default Win8 presets. I deleted both machine and ISO after an hour because I feel dirty having awful code occupying my incoming folder.

ZOMGG!!!!11!!!!!one11!!!!! Windoze is taking me out of my comfort zone!! :rolleyes:

I swear every time a new windows comes out all the nubs gotta get spoon fed.

For keyboardists, Windows 8 introduces a wide range of new shortcuts, which I will tabulate here.

KeyAction
Windows logo key+spacebarSwitch input language and keyboard layout
Windows logo key+OLocks device orientation
Windows logo key+,Temporarily peeks at the desktop
Windows logo key+VCycles through toasts
Windows logo key+Shift+VCycles through toasts in reverse order
Windows logo key+EnterLaunches Narrator
Windows logo key+PgUpMoves Start Screen or Metro style application to the monitor on the left
Windows logo key+PgDownMoves Start Screen or Metro style application to the monitor on the right
Windows logo key+Shift+.Moves the gutter to the left (snaps an application)
Windows logo key+.Moves the gutter to the right (snaps an application)
Windows logo key+ COpens Charms bar
Windows logo key+IOpens Settings charm
Windows logo key+KOpens Connect charm
Windows logo key+HOpens Share charm
Windows logo key+QOpens Search pane
Windows logo key+WOpens Settings Search app
Windows logo key+FOpens File Search app
Windows logo key+TabCycles through apps
Windows logo key+Shift+TabCycles through apps in reverse order
Windows logo key+Ctrl+TabCycles through apps and snaps them as they are cycled
Windows logo key+ZOpens App Bar
Windows logo key+ZOpens App Bar
Windows logo key+/Initiates input method editor (IME) reconversion
Windows logo key+J Swaps foreground between the snapped and filled apps

Windows logo key+J Swaps foreground between the snapped and filled apps

Link from ARS

Also the basics: Rediscover your mouse and keyboard and A touch of brilliance

A little Googling goes a long way.

Those two videos were about the only thing I could watch in IE10, not allowing me to input URL's in a intuitive manner. All I saw was aestethic marketing crap. Have you read the comments on your ARS link? Notice how they're all negative?

You know how when Windows 7, came out, a lot of people said it was the new XP? well it seems that they were right in more ways than one, because I am not going to spend good money on a confusing touchscreen optimized OS when the one I have works just fine!

I've been playing around with it tonight. If I had a tablet, I'd have no complaints. It seems like it is very well though-out for that platform. On the desktop my first impression is that it is a disaster. I hate it. Zero discoverability, and phone UI hold-overs everywhere. It's like a bad PC port of a console video game.

One concrete example that made me facepalm: When the machine boots up, you don't get a login screen. I sat around waiting for Windows to finish loading and allow me to log in, but it never happened. For some reason I decided to drag the screen with the mouse, and voila, there's the login screen. It boots to a lock screen. On the desktop.

So this is how Windows dies.

That's because Windows 8 brings no benefits but plenty of drawbacks. I asked my nerdy friends who have also tried it what they thought. All of them hate it like me. That includes one Microsoft tech and one IT manager, aside from us with normal jobs. None of them can see any place for 8 in their companies or their clients companies. Upgrading would not bring any advantages, but plenty of carnage along the way. I can imagine just what would happen if one were to unleash 8 on a normal office.

[video=youtube;-fg-RSrtCA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fg-RSrtCA4[/video]

Last edited:
Microsoft plans to expound upon how Windows 8 can be managed in the workplace during CeBit. It will be interesting if there's a Group Policy that disables Metro...

People hate change. Fact. It's happened with every Windows release since 95. Plenty of people will likely remain on 7 but this opens up an opportunity for MS to gain new customers in different markets.

Last edited:
On the contrary, I am specifically looking for change in the context of a tablet. But I'm not really liking what I'm seeing, execution-wise. Still too lazy to try the consumer preview, but I will eventually and will of course withhold proper judgement until then.

All I saw was aestethic marketing crap.

Hahaha really? Because those videos practically answered the rudimentary questions you were freaking out about on previous pages.

Have you read the comments on your ARS link? Notice how they're all negative? That's because Windows 8 brings no benefits but plenty of drawbacks. I asked my nerdy friends who have also tried it what they thought. All of them hate it like me. That includes one Microsoft tech and one IT manager, aside from us with normal jobs. None of them can see any place for 8 in their companies or their clients companies. Upgrading would not bring any advantages, but plenty of carnage along the way. I can imagine just what would happen if one were to unleash 8 on a normal office.

News Flash: Windows 8 is not being designed to replace current company IT infrastructure. It's obvious to Microsoft that this OS is fundamentally different than anything they've ever created in the past. Why do you think it was only until a few years ago that they stopped supporting Windows 98? Hell, many major companies are still on XP, so does that invalidate the usefulness of every OS Microsoft has come out with since then? Windows 8 was designed primarily for tablet use, and hence a lot of the intuitiveness and precision we've come to rely on from mouse + keyboard has been lost. Solution? Don't install Windows 8 on you're desktop until you're convinced they've fixed/changed the problem. Windows 7 will be supported for years to come, especially since all Windows 8 is built upon 7 (i.e. the same devices and programs that work with Windows 7 *should* work with Windows 8)

And those negative comments you'll find in every tech blog/site? Yeah, I saw those coming a mile away ever since Microsoft revealed the new Metro-style interface. Every time change takes place you'll find a large percentage of people who will find it too weird/different/scary for their own little universe. I personally hate when people act like its the end of the freaking world when they're faced with something different. I say, "Sit down. Shut up. Learn something new." The world of technology is an ever evolving place. Get used to it.

I'm writing this from XP, and I have several windows open and is able to multitask efficiently with ease with software over a decade old. Funny how that works. Now some more truths:

ExtremeTech said:
Based on its current form, Windows 8 represents an unconscionable, and barely comprehensible, rejection of the values Microsoft has spent the last 26 years perfecting in its visual operating system. It doesn?t make computers easier to navigate and understand, it makes them more difficult, paradoxically by making the interface so brain-dead simple that it can?t do anything someone with a brain might actually want. Want to close an application without using Alt-F4? Forget it. Want the menus and settings intelligently organized? No chance. Want to just display two windows on the screen at the same time? Good luck with that.

Yes, Microsoft has released a product it?s calling Windows that doesn?t use windows as part of its primary interface. Can you figure that out? I can?t.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/121015-windows-8-may-drive-me-to-linux

The thing is, Microsoft does not push people to upgrade their existing OS. They achieve that by pushing computer makers to preinstall the latest Microsoft Windows, and only supply a recovery disc/partition, making sure the average user does not install anything else. In fact, some versions of Windows 8 will lock out all other operating systems from even being possible to install. So if you buy a new computer, it'll come with Windows 8, and that's where the fun begins. I can't wait to see what happens when Microsoft alienates millions of people with a Windows without windows. I envision the end of Microsofts desktop monopoly.

Last edited:
I'm writing this from XP, and I have several windows open and is able to multitask efficiently with ease with software over a decade old. Funny how that works. Now some more truths:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/121015-windows-8-may-drive-me-to-linux

The thing is, Microsoft does not push people to upgrade their existing OS. They achieve that by pushing computer makers to preinstall the latest Microsoft Windows, and only supply a recovery disc/partition, making sure the average user does not install anything else. In fact, some versions of Windows 8 will lock out all other operating systems from even being possible to install. So if you buy a new computer, it'll come with Windows 8, and that's where the fun begins. I can't wait to see what happens when Microsoft alienates millions of people with a Windows without windows. I envision the end of Microsofts desktop monopoly.

1. The ExtremeTech (they've obviously went downhill since 08) author is wrong on several counts.

* running 2 windows side by side is certainly doable. I've done it several times since running consumer preview and it works the way it always has.

*exiting metro apps: you can by simply grabbing the top and pulling down and off the screen. Easily accomplished by a click-hold and flick down of the mouse with no real time difference.

2. Windows 8 secure boot only affects ARM based tablets. Many agree that these are essentially iPad devices. No one in their right mind tries to install Ubuntu on an iPad? Why on earth would you want to? A more limited app selection, a UI not designed for touch, I could go on and on. Non starter, especially since one will be able to buy x86 based tablets that'll be as thin and as light as the ARM ones.

Do people try on Android tablets? Sure, in emulation and in some cases on the device for "real", but it's simply a (very cool) novelty. These ARM tablets are meant to be seen as appliance like to the general public. They pick them up and they just plain work. 99% of the ARM tablet user population likely couldn't care less if a full blown linux distro runs on their tablet. If they get a non crashy tablet that gets epic battery life and has the tablet optimized apps they want, they're happy.

If you buy a new computer, indeed it'll come with Windows 8. It doesn't mean that there won't be ways around that though. Remember when Vista shipped, Dell, HP, and the like continued to sell machines shipping with XP for years..even consumer branded models in the Pavilion and Dimension/Inspiron lines due to a loophole in their agreement with Microsoft. I'm sure they'll find a way to ship with 7 for those not comfortable with 8.

I'm not suggesting that 8 is perfect, right clicking to display "app chrome" on non touch systems is a bit annoying, and the keyboard shortcuts to memorize a bit steep (i was never a fan of keyboard shortcuts to be honest...) but it's a lot less "zomg the world's ending" as enthusiast rags like to put out.

You can't please everyone. If Microsoft would have retained Windows 7's UI throughout the product, maybe made the title bar buttons even larger than the large defaults on systems with touch, improved the keyboard a little, and implemented kinetic scrolling/pinch zoom throughout the OS, they'd be blasted. "They're still not competing, where's the touch friendly UI and third party app model?"

If they would have went Metro the whole way, it would decimate the years of third party software that people love and accumulated over the years. More whinging in the press (and thus fanboys of those sites as well) would occur.

If they would have come out with separate editions for touch/non touch, the press (and their fanboys) would bitch again: "Too many editions!" "Microsoft never learns!" "Apple wins again ha haahaha!!11!"*

*Yes there is code in the Windows Registry that suggests that there will be multiple editions of Windows 8. They truly never learn....

Last edited:
You're right 2 windows can be displayed at once, but not even with a whole truckload of optimism can you call an operation that includes grabbing a window at the top with the cursor and flicking it all the way down to close it comfortable to do or quick to accomplish.

There'll be 9 versions of 8, and I cannot imagine the higher Enterprise-levels editions defaulting to Metro. Unless MS wants to get rid of all their customers in the world that is.

If MS called this Microsoft Tablet, I could ignore this like I ignore all Apple/Google/Nokia touchy-feely crap I have literally no interest in and be happy. But they call it Windows 8, so it's supposed to be Windows, but better than 7 in every aspect, and it's turning out to be the opposite.

Last edited:
Hey... you know what I have done? I'm a bit like rick, he likes shit cars, I "like" shit software. So to torment myself I wanted to give W8 (lol W8=Wait) another try. I figured Windows 8 would work better on my HTPC, so I installed it on the actual machine. Controlled by a touchpad mini keyboard. In other words, what Microsoft sees as the ideal way to use this thing. And it's easy to hit the tiles from the sofa, I'll give them that. And my corners work. But even with optimal control and everything fully functional, I still can't like this. There's absolutely no logic behind the interface.

So let's try it on real people, see what they think.

Is there no windows button in the bottom left? The developer preview has that as how to get back to metro but I couldn't see clearly from that video (though I think he said there's no start button).

Is there no windows button in the bottom left? The developer preview has that as how to get back to metro but I couldn't see clearly from that video (though I think he said there's no start button).

There is a start button. People like to make it sound like its just gone entirely but its there if you mouse down to the corner like before. Right click it and it'll give you power user options.

Last edited:
Ah, that is different from the developer preview. And...... I hope there's a different interface for touch screens cause you can't mouse over shit :(

Ah, that is different from the developer preview. And...... I hope there's a different interface for touch screens cause you can't mouse over shit :(

Start button for you would be in the charms bar. That start button is also available on keyboard and mouse devices

There's no button, there's a hotzone about 9 pixels big in the corner of the screen. Hence people will sit and stare looking for a button until they die of old age.

Start button for you would be in the charms bar. That start button is also available on keyboard and mouse devices

In the what? But I just remembered that the one single physical button on my tablet is the Windows key so I guess it's actually not much of a problem.

I really don't understand that decision then.... now it takes a gesture and a click to do what was formerly just one click, all to save one tiny icon of screen space which is usually just part of a mostly blank taskbar anyway.

So in summary, Win8 = Vista 2?