The Windows Phone thread

nsx_23

Forum Addict
This thread will probably be much less populated than the Android one but I thought it'd be nice to have a place to talk everything Windows phone. Hopefully more people will be picking up WP handsets with Nokia producing some stunning hardware.

Just dev-unlocked my Optimus 7 to start side loading XAPs from XDA and there seems to be a pretty active community around the ecosystem. Coming from google maps Bing feels like complete shit so hopefully Microsoft will address that soon.

Saw this over at WPcentral:

watch

I remember reading somewhere that all the Nokia apps have already been extracted.

Let's recommend ourselves some apps!
I'll start:

Metrotube (YouTube client)
IM+ (Only way to get Skype support atm)
IMDb (If you are into movie details and stuff)
Facebook (duh, wish it had Group messages support)
Twitter
Flashlight-X (it uses the cam flash, not the screen!)
IRC7 (not multitasking compatible)
PODCASTS! (not multitasking compatible)
wpcentral app for news
Subsonic (streams your home music library)

I'm mostly using the standard apps, but I'm really liking having Pulse for my news whore traits. The Xbox companion is pretty cool too.

What phone are you using hh?

Looking for some free apps suggestions atm.

I really thought Microsoft have got past the "errors out of nowhere" phase. I wanted to give them a chance, since they give me one by letting me join App Hub for free as a student. But apparently not:

ms-error.jpg

Really. If you want developers to make good apps for your platform, at least make sure they can actually register.

Update OK, apparently the registration process did finish OK, despite showing the error every time I clicked "Continue" on the last form. Still, this is weak.

Update 2 Nope. Still getting forwarded to the same form (with all my data already in there...) that always ends in error.

Update 3 Well at least the support is quick. Apparently the issue is with student accounts precisely because they skip the payment step, and the solution is to go to the Xbox website (!), log in there and confirm your password. No apparent connection to App Hub whatsoever, but it worked.

On an unrelated note, cancelling the "New Project" dialog in Visual Studio crashes my video driver.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get WP to recognize contacts with multiple mobile numbers? When I sync my contacts from google for some reason WP only recognizes one mobile number and won't let me add others.

Anyone know a good free messenger app similar to IMO for android?

Just pre-ordered a Nokia Lumia 900 (cyan). Can't wait to get it next month.

Good stuff. Nokia seems to be heavily advertising the Lumia line around here, and having something in the $29/month bracket should boost WP sales by a fair bit.

Yep. In retrospect my post wasnt very well written.

Yeah, once they enter the market, people will start appreciating it more

Can someone recommend a good phone book app?
I find it annoying having to go through the People tile everytime to make a call.

For everyone who uses Bluetooth and/or Wifi I recommend a app called "ConnectivityShortcuts".
Really liking WP. It does anything you could want without too much hassle at all.

Things that could be better:
-the batterylife on "smartphones" make me feel like I am on a land line again... and Lumia800 apparently has good batterylife :|
-more color choices for the tiles, seriously how hard can it be?
-loose the stuipd arrow at the top right of the screen, all it does is makes the screen smaller when scrollind the home screen

Things that are awesome:
+fast, easy and looks nice, it's a huge plus IMO
+perfect build quality on the Lumia line, my 800 feels like it could survive a drop from my balcony
+very, very nice screen, I don't understand people who say it sucks, I have seen 5years old TVs that have worse image quality... :|