This is slated to happen for a week, starting June 8th.Fun plan: hoping to swap cars with an ND driver for a weekend/week or two. He needs something more practical than the roadster, and the 86 might actually fit the bill, so he'd love to try one. I, on the other hand, occasionally miss having a convertible, and Miata Is Always The Answer anyway, right?
After a few days of street and canyon driving, I wanted to share some impressions. They're largely comparisons to my BRZ.
Things I like better about the Miata:
• Convertible: Topless, baby! See below pic for why that's relevant.
• Shifter: The shifter is super nice. The BRZ's is very nice as well, but this one is just otherwordly.
• Grip: The car is wearing Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. The Michelin Primacy crap I have is no match for this setup (and isn't meant to be).
• Noise: There's a Racing Beat muffler installed which adds a bit of character. I like that it's not too loud, but sounds nice.
• Torque: (Go ahead, take that shot.) I don't even know that there's more of it, but it certainly feels more adequate. Easy to lazily lug putt around low in the rev range.
• Multiple personalities: As I've said before, the Miata can be a lovely cruiser as well as a sports car, while the BRZ only knows how to go hard.
Things I like better about the BRZ:
• Hardtop: Not topless. No pic of my arms, but I look like I'm wearing red arm warmers.
• Creature comforts: I'm spoiled by CarPlay, auto lights, HomeLink…
• Room: My knees actually fit.
• Looks: The Miata is certainly a looker, but it doesn't tingle my special spots the way the BRZ does.
Things that are a wash:
• Fun: These two are merely different flavors of ice cream. We all have our preferences, but both are utterly awesome in the end.
• Spirited driving: This is really an expansion on the above, but they're both a great choice for the occasional canyon run. Personal fitment issues aside, that is.
• No ragerts about getting the BRZ instead of this.
• Now I do want to modify the BRZ… Tune + exhaust + wheels + tires + suspension would go a long, long way…
• This thing is amusingly close to my old flame: black, topless, and 6-speed! Just the way I like my wom—wait, what?