The World Superbikes (SBK) 2010 season thread

Double-post, but you'll all live I'm sure :p

http://motomatters.com/news/2010/09/12/rea_extends_with_ten_kate_honda_for_2011.html

Very interesting take on Ten Kate's announcement here- to be honest, I was wondering why they were announcing Rea staying with them when he was 99% guaranteed to and undercontract for then anyway. Not sure I want them to lose the Hannspree sponsorship though, because that would pretty much so be the beginning of the end for Honda in Superbikes IMO (unless they pull a Ducati and go away so they can presumably develop an awesome MotoGP bike and a Superbike based off that).

Time for an update after Imola...

Congrats to Max Biaggi and Aprilia!

01_Biaggi_TeamAprilia.jpg

04_Biaggi_podium.jpg

Biaggi_ApriliaAlitalia_Imola600.jpg

250x320-images-stories-2010-12_SBK_Imola-biaggimaglietta.jpg

5 World titles and 10 reasons why...

1. I've been chasing a fifth star for a long time;

2. I am the first Italian in SBK history to win the world title;

3. I am the first Italian to win a 250cc world championship with an Italian bike (Aprilia) and I wanted to be the first Italian to win in SBK with an Italian bike (Aprilia);

4. I have the hottest chick as my companion, and this helps! (Eleonora Pedron, ex-Miss Italia);

5. Enzo Ferrari was wrong, in a big way... (referring to the F1 constructor, who famously said "When a driver becomes a father, he loses one second a lap");

6. I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009;

7. Aprilia and Piaggio are my second family;

8. Becoming a father has given me exceptional motivation;

9. At well past 39 years of age I can still keep everyone else in line;

10. I owed it to all my fans and the Italians.

Suzuki deserve the "morons of the year" award for letting Leon Haslam go - completely batsh*t mental idea by the Japanese team - they'll never win in MotoGP again and they're best shot at winning a world road racing title is in WSBK and they let they let go their number one rider (and second best SBK rider this year!).

GPone reckons he'll end up with Troy Corser at BMW:

haslamboxbmw.jpg

Kudos to Francis Batta for letting Leon go - what a gentleman, although in his press release, Francis sticks it too Suzuki: "We all wish Leon all the best for the season 2011. ?We are disappointed to lose such a talented rider in whom we had put all of our hopes.? Obviously our main partner did not share our opinion.??" Expect Leon to be a world champion within 2 years.

Other news is Checa remains with Althea Ducati, Shane Byrne is out and Nori Haga is supposed to be riding a third factory Aprilia, although this is just a rumour for now.

Cheers.

If they can't compete on equal terms they shouldn't compete at all! Good riddance i say!

This. The protectionist measures given Ducati by the FIM over the years is nothing short of disgusting. This is long, long, long overdue.

This. The protectionist measures given Ducati by the FIM over the years is nothing short of disgusting. This is long, long, long overdue.

.... Spectre's a WSBK fan?

:D

Also, congrats to Max B, and kinda ironic and sad that a mechnical failure caused Haslam to lose the championship. Best of luck ti him next year, hopefully he will realise his full potential and grab a title soon.

On the rumours, just adding to a few and some new ones-

- Althea- they don't know if they are even running a second bike yet next year, so there may or may not be a seat opening there
- Suzuki- talks that they (as a manufacturer) may disappear from SBK entirely due to them not having enough money to even run the MotoGP team. This sucks, and I'm hoping this one isn't true. Although the fact that Yoshimura still wants to jump up to WSBK next year gives the Suzuki fans some hope still!
- Honda- still no talks about how many bikes they will run. Rumours are that Neukirchner will be moving to Moto2 (joy...) next year- for some reason that I can't really figure out (sponsors perhaps?), German riders are currently in major demand in that class (so Tode and Cortese could be given some help by this too)
- Haga- twowheelsblog is reporting his signing as official, he will be riding a satellite (but still full factory supported) Aprilia next year. The team he is riding for is the one being made out of the remnants of DFX and Pata- Lanzi and Smrz's old teams.
- Kawasaki- rumoured to be thinking about running 3 factory bikes next year to keep Sykes along with Vermulen and whoever the other guy is. Hope they do, nice to see a team expanding rather than the current form of downsizing/disappearing altogether...
- BMW- rumoured to be running a satellite, full-factory supported team next year called "BMW Italia". Badovini (STK 1000 superstar) is rumoured to be member numero uno, Toseland as number two (something I'm not happy about personally, but what is my opinion worth? :lol:)

Either way, this is still one helluva silly season, hope it all gets fixed up soon!

(Also, finally ordered the merch I wanted and talked about earlier in the thread- should be here any day, may post pics in another thread :D)

Suzuki deserve the "morons of the year" award for letting Leon Haslam go - completely batsh*t mental idea by the Japanese team - they'll never win in MotoGP again and they're best shot at winning a world road racing title is in WSBK and they let they let go their number one rider (and second best SBK rider this year!).

:censored: FU Suzuki, i do feel for the alstare team, they have done nothing but awesome work and the asshats over in japan can't get their fucking heads out of each others asses. Same goes for the suzuki motogp team...

Last edited:
So what are the SBK World Champion and series runner up doing in their off seasons?

World Champion Max Biaggi has the joy of his second child (
Leon Alexandre Biaggi), 15 months after the birth of the first child:
2010leonalexanderbiaggi1_g.jpg

Leon Haslam has just gotten married:

scaled.php

Congratuations to both Max & Leon and their respective families!

Roll on 2011 :cool:

Cheers.