The worlds fastest convertible

I always considered a convertible any car which can be converted from having a roof to not having one. Subtypes being soft-top, hard-top, targa, but whether it's manual or automatic doesn't make any difference.

Targa I generally agree, but sometimes it's not much more open than a large sunroof. Some of the impact of a convertible is seeing the completely open and unsupported windshield frame when you are seated inside the car...however, even with modern convertibles, with their more-sloped windshields, you can't always see that full open sky unless you are seated all the way back in the seat.

Side note, I always wanted a targa or t-top. :p

I would assume that what constitutes a convertible for the record is a car that allows you to create a completely open space where the roof is supposed to be and disconnect the front and rear parts. So targas do count, but t-tops or cars where the bits over the doors don't come off don't count.

Last edited:
T-tops, where that isn't the case exist? They usually have frameless windows...can't think of any others where that isn't the case off the top of my head...

Pictures_367.jpg

Last edited:
T-tops don't because you can't take that middle bit off, it connects the front to the rear.

fiat-500c.jpg

A setup like above does not count either, because the bits above doors are not removable

Also if the doors have frames that doesn't count either. But I can't think of any cars with an open top and framed doors (without it being the setup like on that 500).

Basically anything where the roof provides structural rigidity when it's open is out.

Last edited:
So, in your eyes, this doesn't count as a convertible?

(In my opinion it is a convertible- albeit an extremely ugly example.)

Yeah, that doesn't count. It's pretty much the same thing as on the 500 above, except with one extra side to side bar which provides structural rigidity.

Here is an illustration of a convertible

If the car does not look like that from the side when the roof is off and windows are down, it does not count.

Last edited:
That counts obviously. As long as there is a gap, it counts.

I thought it was quite a simple and straightforward way of making the distinction. There either is a permanent structural part connecting the front and rear above the windows or there is not.

Last edited:
To me, the distinction is that, as long as the entire roof folds away, it's a convertible. Cars with removable panels (T-tops/targas) do not count.

If the windshield frame does not touch any part of the car behind the driver, it's a convertible.

(Or Roadster, in the case of a car that does not "convert.")

To me, the distinction is that, as long as the entire roof folds away, it's a convertible.
The problem with a definition like that is that it's not clear what constitutes as the "entire roof".
My definition is very clear (there are no ifs, ors or buts) and it's based on a structural difference. You can take my definition and any car and you can define if that car is a convertible or not in absolute terms. It either is a convertible or it's not, there is no middle ground or opinions.

Last edited: