The WTF Japan thread

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
[video=youtube;4Nzb-n8jyPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nzb-n8jyPc[/video]

Tesla60

I've watched HOURS of Japanese TV game shows - there's this one where you're in a library and if you lose, you have to do these certain tasks. So bizzare, and yet entertaining! Also forgot the one where you have to contort your body to fit a shape coming toward you.

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
DONOR
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Hole in the wall has spread to quite a few countries. And Silent library should too. :p

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
I searched this thread for Tama and found no Tama. Here is Tama. It's adorable.

Tama (???, April 29, 1999 ? June 22, 2015) was a female calico cat who gained fame for being a station master and operating officer at Kishi Station on the Kishigawa Line in Kinokawa, Wakayama, Japan.

In January 2008, Tama was promoted to "super station master" in a ceremony attended by the president of the company and the mayor; as a result of her promotion, she was "the only female in a managerial position" in the company.[6] Her new position had an "office" ? a converted ticket booth containing a litter box. In January 2010, railway officials promoted Tama to the post of "Operating Officer" in recognition of her contribution to expanding the customer base. Tama maintained the station master's job while taking over the new job, and was the first cat to become an executive of a railroad corporation.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tama_(cat)

Last edited:

awdrifter

That's cute. It reminds me of the anime Aria where the cats are called President (??).

[video=youtube;ed-LWPWEF_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-LWPWEF_I[/video]

Hemihead

Car(s)
Vaz 21023, Peugeot 605 SV24, Ford Mondeo 3.0 Ghia
I'm actually impressed that half of them didn't end up on their sides or on the roof. :D

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Infiniti M30 - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Dammit! Now I want to build a drift van...

Interrobang

Forum Addict
Holographic 'wife' ministers to Japan's single men

Azuma Hikari wakes her "master" every morning, reminds him not to forget his umbrella, texts him supportive messages during the day and makes sure the family home is just so before he returns in the evening.
With matching blue hair and eyes, long legs and an arrary of seductive outfits, the perfect "wife" is a snip at Y298,000 (GBP2,030).[...]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/16/holographic-wife-ministers-japans-single-men/ (watch the video that goes with the article)

2016. Even the whacky japanese innovations are just sad in the end.

Tesla60

Whenever I scroll this thread, I can't help but contrast it with the conservative nature of Japan. Maybe BECAUSE they're so conservative, they need these outlets to go on the other side.

Interrobang

Forum Addict
Whenever I scroll this thread, I can't help but contrast it with the conservative nature of Japan. Maybe BECAUSE they're so conservative, they need these outlets to go on the other side.
Which I recon is quite an accurate observation.

What I always find super charming is how controlled this "breaking aways from the norm" usually is. It defies society while simultaneously following defined rules. Outrageous stuff is alright in gameshows where there are strict rules. It's like they have to first create an environment where it is allowed to not abide by normal rules before they do that ...

You know, this is not like that in the rest of the world ... when we go Ape, we go Ape.