The Z28 is back for 2014

Bad Bowtie

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/03/2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-here-it-is/

2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-08.jpg

2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-02.jpg

2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-03.jpg

Not to steal the fire from the 2014 Cadillac CTS or anything, but Chevrolet has revealed a refreshed Camaro for the 2014 model year. Most importantly, with the new Camaro comes the resurrection of the Z/28 moniker, which will be powered by the amazing 7.0L LS7 V8 engine mated to a six-speed Tremec TR6060 manual transmission. This puts the output of the Z/28 at 500 howling horsepower, and 470 pounds-feet of torque, fitting perfectly between the 426 horsepower Camaro SS, and the 580 horsepower Camaro ZL1. In many track-oriented circles, the 2014 Camaro Z/28 is perhaps the most capable Camaro ever.

For instance, Chevy claims that the 2014 Camaro Z/28 is an average of three seconds faster per lap than the more powerful ZL1. This is thanks to chassis revisions that allow the Z/28 to grip at up to 1.05 lateral G forces. Then there?s the Brembo brakes, which provide 1.5G of stopping force. And last, but certainly not least, is the fact that the Z/28 is 300 pounds lighter than the mighty ZL1, thanks to several incremental tweaks, ranging from thinner rear window glass, to lighter wheels. And it still has its second row of seats.

Inside, the Z/28 is treated with Recaro racing seats, a flat-bottom steering wheel, and seat cutouts that seem ready for five-point harnesses.

I think it looks great and is promising. I wish it were smaller, the current Camaro platform is way too big. But oh well.

The rear end does look like a mix between an Acura RSX and Lexus SC400 though.

I wish it were smaller, the current Camaro platform is way too big. But oh well.

The next gen Camaro is going to be based on the Alpha (ATS) platform rather than spend the money to upgrade and redesign Zeta. I think GM is waiting for the ATS-V to be finished so they can see what holds up and what will need to be beefed up for the Camaro.

This is sheer awesome. LS7 power. Camaro looks (although I'm not sold on the refresh), recaro seats, manual only.

But, it's going to cost more than a ZL1. How much more, hmm...

The back reminds me of a last generation Prelude...but I still think it looks pretty good. Better than the current car. I'm also glad they finally put the z/28 name on an appropriate model. The original Z/28 was all about high rpm, just like the LS7 is. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

Last edited:
Wow, I wasn't expecting that! I wondered why they didn't call the SS 1LE the Z/28, but I guess this is why. A new 427ci Camaro!

I even like the styling. The rear does have that Prelude look to it, but I think it's a nice refresh.

Love the new look of the front and rear. Really an attractive car now.

Anyone have any hi-res shots of the car.... would like to make it my background.

Now that's what I like to see, an obnoxiously large V8 with a nice manual. Just like back in the good ol' days! :D

It'll sound just like the Z06 for the most part. Same engine. Doubt the exhausts will alter the sound that much.

You doubt that they will alter the exhaust or you doubt that different exhaust will alter the sound? I always thought that the stock Z06 sounded a little weak. Corsa catback sounds wonderful:

[video=youtube;B6uAVZf-BMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uAVZf-BMM[/video]

[video=youtube;-JABXfJIoxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JABXfJIoxg[/video]

Last edited:
Well, yes, Corsa exhaust sounds brilliant usually, that's what I have on my car.. and yes, an aftermarket exhaust changes the sound dramatically but I'm sure the Z28 will still retain at least two resonators, normal restrictive CA-approved cats and at least two mufflers so it will sound restricted and weak like the Z06. I just said it wouldn't sound a ton different than a Z06, I didn't mean it would sound exactly the same.

My current favorite V8 sound is the LS9. :) It's yummy.

Last edited:
There's really no reason it can't sound like the LS9, as the ZR-1 sounds basically like a Z06 with longtubes and a catback. I'm actually surprised Chevy didn't change the exhaust on the Z06 after the ZR-1 was released. They gave it all of the suspension goodies from the ZR-1.