There really IS one of everything in Dallas

A very interesting thread indeed.

I once came out of the pub with my mate Keith we got in to his car which had a slightly sticky lock, he put the key in the ignition and started the car then looked up. He turned the engine off and said we'd better get out of the car. Parked immediately in front of us was another Triumph Herald also in blue, as most were then in Ukania, with his number plate on it. ...

We were in the wrong car.

:lol:

Brilliant. I'm going to try that one. Also there are some beautiful machines in this thread.

A very interesting thread indeed.

I once came out of the pub with my mate Keith we got in to his car which had a slightly sticky lock, he put the key in the ignition and started the car then looked up. He turned the engine off and said we'd better get out of the car. Parked immediately in front of us was another Triumph Herald also in blue, as most were then in Ukania, with his number plate on it. ...

We were in the wrong car.

Depending on when it was made, there were only 64 different key configurations on BL's lock mechanisms. When they started to wear, 8 different general key cut configurations would work across a broad spectrum of cars. And when they really wore out, you could stick a blank key in and it would work. Or even a key from a car that had no connection whatsoever to BL. Or a screwdriver, and you wouldn't even have to force it.

Which is why the Series III has additional security - BL door locks. The ignition was from a different supplier, thankfully, so they couldn't make off with the car so easily.

Last edited:
1939 Cadillac 39-75 or 39-90 (the main difference is the engine - the 90 mounted a V16, less than 600 examples were built) with coachwork by Fleetwood - the engine gill slit covers are missing but I didn't get a chance to get a closer look at it. If it's still there tomorrow I'll see which engine it has.
IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

It's a 39-75 - has a V8.

V16 or not, that thing is ultimate luxury.

94-98 Rolls Royce Silver Dawn, one of 237 ever made:

IMG_3141.JPG

Renault Clio Sport. Renault got booted off the USDM market long before they made these...

a6cd0890-9c3b-a105.jpg
a6cd0890-9c69-b2a3.jpg

Renault Clio Sport. Renault got booted off the USDM market long before they made these...

a6cd0890-9c3b-a105.jpg
a6cd0890-9c69-b2a3.jpg

This reminded me - while I was in Albuquerque, one night, in a not-so-sober state I saw something that I could only describe as a Renault 11.

This reminded me - while I was in Albuquerque, one night, in a not-so-sober state I saw something that I could only describe as a Renault 11.

Those were built and sold here as the Renault Encore... And were directly responsible for Renault getting the boot off USDM Island.

ad_renault_encore_promise_black_1986.jpg

Ahhh yes, it looked exactly like this...except it was brown.

Those weren't the only Renaults we got, either.

That said, it would have been no loss if we hadn't had any of them because they were all s**t.

Those weren't the only Renaults we got, either.

That said, it would have been no loss if we hadn't had any of them because they were all s**t.

I wish we got the earlier Renault-Alpine cars.
I've always had a soft spot for them (except the godawful A610)

Last edited:
A Renault 5 "LeCar" was one of the cars I saw in my first days in the States - it really was a WTF moment.

What Renaults before these did we get here?

A Renault 5 "LeCar" was one of the cars I saw in my first days in the States - it really was a WTF moment.

What Renaults before these did we get here?

Pre-Mercedes Law, everything was available for import and there were some dealers here.

We also got the Fuego here in the 80s. Appropriately named, since most of them burned to the ground.

Last edited: