There seriously need to be some women driving in f1... Up and comers?

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
I was just sitting here at my desk reading Bruno Sennas wikipedia article, and saw that his manager is his sister (Bianca Senna). I wondered why she may have been relegated to mere administrative duties while her brother gets to race in f1 this year. In a whiskey-fueled sudden rage (This was like 35 seconds ago) i decided that i am disappointed that there are not more women in motor sport. I see why there arent any women in the NFL, i really do, put the average perfectly athletic women up against a 350 pound linebacker and she is likely to die. But in a test of strength and stamina, i dont see why a women wouldnt be able to complete in the formula 1 world championship.

Please calm my anger, who are the up and coming women in open wheel motorsport, who deserve some light to be shed on them! Also feel free to use this thread as a talking-place for women in f1.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna start a ramble here that females drive worse than males, cos I don't believe they do (even though I do support the argument sometimes when having friendly fun arguments with female friends) but... maybe there's a biological explanation. I remember studying in biology how the male and female brains are a bit different. The male brain has a larger portion of matter dedicated to physical coordination (white matter) and the female brain has a larger portion dedicated to logical and abstract thinking (grey matter)
Some wiki articles here and here.
Perhaps this is a tiny bit of a handicap? It could not matter much at lower levels of racing but then it shows at Formula One where everything is in the very limit...
Then again women have a smaller frame and that could mean an advantage in weight distribution on the car...

Or perhaps it's more of a clich? and stereotype and that counts when looking for sponsors and investors?

In any case it'd be interesting to see a woman up there. I was somehow looking forward to what was rumoured about USF1 running Danica Patrick... And then they pulled out (and taking another young driver I wanted to see on F1, Jos? Mar?a L?pez)

Last edited:
Well, in the USA motorcycle racing scene there is a young girl that is starting to make her mark, Elena Myers.

Doing quite well in AMA, and she even got offered a test ride on a Suzuki MotoGP bike at the Valencia post-season test (I do realize that that offer is mainly a PR thing).

elena-myers.jpg

Last edited:
As long as those women drivers are up to speed and up to the mark of F1, I agree, but if it's some stupid gag by a small team to get some sponsorship and show light then I don't.

Cute girl!

(not meant to be sexist/objectifying ... there are a lot of girls who don't watch F1 but comment on how cute this or that driver is)

I have no issues against females in F1 or racing in general, but surely it would be more logical to have girls in F1 because they can drive, not because they are girls. It's better for the sport and better for the female.

God.... can you imagine how the engineers are gonna hate that...

Adjusting the car weight balance because *giggles* some things have a higher centre of gravity you see... compared to our "gun"..... :lol:

Man. I'm trying too hard. :( Slow day at work.

God.... can you imagine how the engineers are gonna hate that...

Adjusting the car weight balance because *giggles* some things have a higher centre of gravity you see... compared to our "gun"..... :lol:

Man. I'm trying too hard. :( Slow day at work.

That was the least funny joke I've ever heard.

hasn't vanina ickx driven in F1?

images

All the women who attempted F1 were publicity stunts and didn't make it at all...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_Formula_One_drivers

I was thinking further about this and I remembered.... most F1 drivers are brought up as racers from a very young age... Karting since they're 4 and such. No girl is karting at 4, they're playing tea time with their teddy bears.
Of course this is a general rule and there's always an exception to every rule, but finding it will be one hell of a job.

Would it bring more female viewers if there was a driver from the fair sex?

Are any female drivers one of the best ~26 drivers in the world?
If yes, they'd be in F1. If no, they shouldn't be in F1.

Every time I hear "we need more women/lesbians/people of X race in X/Y/Z field/sport/business" I want to punch someone in the throat. People that are there are there on merit. What you really mean is "I want someone representing my sex/race/whatever to be artificially placed there as a novelty so I can feel better about myself!", which is hypocritical and patronizing towards your own sex/race/whatever.

Fuck.

Are any female drivers one of the best ~26 drivers in the world?
If yes, they'd be in F1. If no, they shouldn't be in F1.

Every time I hear "we need more women/lesbians/people of X race in X/Y/Z field/sport/business" I want to punch someone in the throat. People that are there are there on merit. What you really mean is "I want someone representing my sex/race/whatever to be artificially placed there as a novelty so I can feel better about myself!", which is hypocritical and patronizing towards your own sex/race/whatever.

Fuck.

QFT!

What GraemeH said. I don't care to see a woman in F1 (or anywhere else, really) on the sole merits of her being a woman. That's a cop-out. That basically says that my gender isn't good enough to make it into F1 on our own merits, so they're just picking someone to fill a hole. That's poop.

Many of us called foul when Hispania subbed in Yamamoto as a pay driver sort of deal even though he's not very good. Throwing in a woman based on gender over talent would be just as irritating to watch as the money-over-talent picks, IMHO.

So, I want to see a competitive woman in F1. I don't care what a driver is as long as they're awesome. I just wanna see some epic racing.

Is there a bit of a lopsided gender ratio in racing? Absolutely. Even your average local autocross/trackday/etc. tends to be a bit of a sausagefest (...not that I'm complaining about this, haha). But does it need to be artificially "fixed" somehow? Nope.

The only way people are going to stop seeing female drivers as a novelty and start taking them seriously, IMHO, is if they win. I'd like to see that happen much more than I'd like to see Danica Patrick's tits being...well, tits. That may be a whole 'nother rant, but some of the ways certain female drivers appear in the media doesn't exactly do much to dispel the "they're only here because they're a pretty women" nonsense, either. But I digress.

Oh, and somebody throw a Puffalump at mpicco for me. I've always preferred stuffed bunnies over teddy bears, y0.

I don't know if she is any good .. but in Australia there is a driver named Helen Stig. No links, but if you google her you will find a few race results.

There's also this girl:
biafigueiredo_533.jpg

Bia Figueiredo, brazillian, 25. Won a couple Indi Lights races, is currently on Indycars... Not doing awesomely great but she is skipping a ton of races I think cos of funding problems. She was also a reserve driver for the Brazil team in A1GP...

There's definitely female talent out there. Still think it's a lack of trust from the sponsors. If you don't race, you don't learn