There was a 4th driver used for filming top gear in romania

Ice_warmer

It seems that for filming top gear on the transfagarsan they used a ginger haired driver man to do some high speed shots ... only with a wig.

2nd day of filming in Transfagarasan, Romania. This video shows an Aston Martin DBS taking off. You can see that there is no Jeremy Clarkson in the Aston...it's a professional driver with a funny wig. JC, RH and JM were already in Great Britain.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWa6NCMxO7k&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

and here is the lamborghini can't clearly see who is driving, but that haircut is very simillar to the man in the dbs.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNhrCYHduxU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Ok then, the inevitable question , is that or is it not the STIG ?

I think it's pretty common knowledge that the crew stays behind to do the sweet shots, Clarkson or maby Willman? Already said that after the Bugatti episode.

So, what's the point in having this scripted crazy rides if they don't even do it anymore and leave it to someone else's riding the cars?

I think it's pretty common knowledge that the crew stays behind to do the sweet shots, Clarkson or maby Willman? Already said that after the Bugatti episode.

So, what's the point in having this scripted crazy rides if they don't even do it anymore and leave it to someone else's riding the cars?

Read

Pick up shots, extra footage, beauty shots, transitions...

Complaining about this is like complaining that Daniel Craig doesn't do every stunt on a Bond film.

Top gear presentors are good drivers, but sometimes they need professional drivers that know how to work with the camera to make that beauty shots.

As long as they actually do the trip itself, I guess this is perfectly okay (and normal).

the idea of the thread isn't that of the scriptyness of the show, this is not reality tv,it is if this is proof of the existence of das stig.

In the second video they're wondering if the windows were up or down yesterday... I'd say the trio was shooting yesterday and now they're just shooting additional footage, and even attempting to do a good job.

Well I guess the stuntman was used for shots of more furious driving (aka drifting), and below is the proof. Don't flame me, I'm not telling that it's a big conspiracy theory and guys actually have never been to Romania, I just find this stuff interesting.

Jeremy

Funny-wig man

Spot on,they've mentioned a few times that a crew often stays back an extra day or two to film external shots.When they do the long drives do some people really believe there just happens to be camera crew in paddocks or buildings waiting for the guys to go past ?
If they do then there must be 50 camera crews working with them.

Spot on,they've mentioned a few times that a crew often stays back an extra day or two to film external shots.When they do the long drives do some people really believe there just happens to be camera crew in paddocks or buildings waiting for the guys to go past ?
If they do then there must be 50 camera crews working with them.

Basically that's it. The presenters do the driving with the in-car cameras pointed at them and one (or more) chase cars doing tracking shots. Almost all shots of the cars going by the camera are done by the crew on the way home with the presenters already on a plane back to the UK (these guys get paid per day, and much more than a stunt driver!).

Jezza said:
Of course, once the race is run and the result in the bag, the camera crews stay behind to pick up the shots needed to make the whole thing work on television. The details. The icing. But that doesn't affect the outcome.
http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/134-jeremy-clarkson-japan-race/

EDIT: :lock: ?!?

Last edited:
^ Explained, once more! :cool:

Nominate Dr_Grip?s explanation for a Sticky :)

You must spread the Panaflex around, before giving Dr_Grip another Oscar.

ok, again, is the driver that does all those shots a racing driver ? or more precisely the stig ?

No, there are several drivers, i guess some of them stunt drivers (driving for the camera requires a different skill set and training than driving fast round a track), some of them just "normal" crew members, but most are full-time film crew drivers. There are people actually making a living off driving equipment trucks and vehicles used in the production full-time (i know the person who worked as truck wrangler on several Berlin-based Hollywood productions - i don't envy him or his drivers, it's a hell of a job).

Guys I found something interesting in the "1001 Uses of The Stig" thread

42. Jeremy Clarkson impersonator.
http://img291.imageshack.**/img291/7981/rodfountaincomimg054stdls9.jpg

Can it be?!

One More Thing on why I think the 4th driver is the stig. Remember how in 14x07 hammond said that the Stig delivered the Jaguar XK in the train race. Remember that the Stig wasn't shown in that race. so...?

Last edited:
One More Thing on why I think the 4th driver is the stig. Remember how in 14x07 hammond said that the Stig delivered the Jaguar XK in the train race. Remember that the Stig wasn't shown in that race. so...?

So - what? There are several blog posts by Clarkson and Wilman regarding how the footage for the films is aquired. One of them has been posted by me above.

Even if (and, for the reasons i explained above, that is highly unlikely), the same bloke that wears the stig suit is the one doing the extra driving for the races, it would still not be The Stig driving it. Cause whoever might be in the suit stops being The Stig when he's wearing civilian clothing.

And all this without touching the fact that a) your argument does not make any sense and b) is based on the assumption that any throwaway line by Hammond (or any of the presenters) is true, which, especially regarding the (mostly constructed) mystique of The Stig, is a stupid assumption.

EDIT: hounted and emil_t, i find it harder and harder to resist the urge to negrep you for these unbelievable childish theories.

Last edited:

and who says that actually happened? it was just an excuse to have the stig come on stage and make some sort of scene...

Stig is a ginger? If so, wouldn't that kind of support South Park's theory that gingers have no souls?

(I keed, I keed.)

I really don't think we're gonna out the Stig if we figure out who the mystery ginger is. Like others have said, they have a whole big staff that helps with the show and helps get just the right shot when the presenters can't.