There's hope after all: impending Nissan Z sports car (not that SUV crapola)

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
Only pic is a guess render, but the information is important. Priz will like this.

NissanZConcept-626x383.jpg

Car and Driver said:
Nissan Z Concept Coming; Production Car Could Reach 500 Horsepower

It has been more than eight years since the current Nissan 370Z went on sale, but Nissan?s legendary Z-car soon will get its long-awaited redesign. The first major step will be taken at the Tokyo auto show this fall, where Nissan will reveal the next-generation Z concept, a preview of the production car said to offer several potent powertrains.

As this artist?s impression from Japan?s Best Car magazine shows, it is expected that the new Z concept and production car will have similar proportions to the outgoing coupe. The Z will also adopt an edgier styling language, including a gaping front end that takes cues from the latest GT-R facelift, and will ride on a shorter wheelbase courtesy of the Infiniti Q60?s FR-L platform.

Of the three powertrains on offer, the flagship twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6, borrowed from the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport, is said to punch out a healthy 400 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 350 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm; it will be mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. If this version lives up to those expectations, it could put the Nissan toe to toe with rivals such as Porsche?s 718 Boxster S and BMW?s M2.

In addition to the entry-level 3.0-liter V-6, generating 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft, we also hear that Nissan is working on a hybridized model to be introduced later that could make the Z the most powerful in its class. It is expected to employ the same 3.0-liter V-6, teamed with a dual-clutch gearbox and an electric motor producing as much as 160 horses. One source told us that this model?s total output could reach an eye-popping 500 horsepower. The new Z is expected to land in showrooms by 2019, with the base model priced in the low-$30,000 range and the twin-turbo nearing $50K.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-z-concept-coming-production-car-could-reach-500-horsepower/

Last edited:
I love that render. I hope it comes out looking like that.

Same problem as from the last two generations of Z (Z33, Z34): No turbo, no care. The turbo became a permanent Z car character fixture over three generations and the last two have suffered for the lack of it.

If they do actually ship the turbo version, great, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Same problem as from the last two generations of Z (Z33, Z34): No turbo, no care. The turbo became a permanent Z car character fixture over three generations and the last two have suffered for the lack of it.

I dunno 350 sold pretty well, 370 not so much. I feel like they are down on power these days, 300 is just too low

I dunno 350 sold pretty well, 370 not so much. I feel like they are down on power these days, 300 is just too low

+1 I mean my base model Charger has a 300bhp 3.6L V6 for Christ sakes...

Same problem as from the last two generations of Z (Z33, Z34): No turbo, no care.
That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but I disagree.

Spectre said:
The turbo became a permanent Z car character fixture over three generations and the last two have suffered for the lack of it.
The Z33 was a return to roots, sans turbo. It had a big, brawny NA six cylinder (corporate V6 instead an inline 6, granted), and it was better for being less expensive to buy, and less complicated to work on, compared to the priced-out-of-existence-in-North-America Z32.

I'll concede said V6 sounded like ass (from the inside), and I would personally have preferred to own a Z32 than the Z33 I did have, but there you have it.

Certainly you don't mean the Z33 suffered from lack of turbo in terms of sales. From goodcarbadcar.net:

2002 - 13,253
2003 - 36,728
2004 - 30,690
2005 - 27,278
2006 - 24,635
2007 - 18,957
2008 - 10,337

And that's not including what was essentially the long wheelbase version, the Infiniti G35 coupe, because goodcarsbadcars.net doesn't distinguish its sales from the G35 sedans. But other than the shortened 2002 calendar year (because of start of production), the worst year for G35 sales in that era was still over 60,000 units in the US. Even using conservative estimates, it's fair to say the G35 coupe units approached actual 350Z sales.

Furthermore, both versions quickly became mainstays of the import tuner scene, lending them (to that audience) plenty of street credibility. The Z specific forums had a very long shelf life well after these cars ended production to many people (including yours truly) who wanted, but could afford one, when new.

The car itself was indeed sporty with respect to its handling, and had great seats, but it clearly suffered from lack of practicality (even by sports car standards, excluding the G35 variant), a punishing ride, tire noise, and high-effort controls (steering, clutch, shifter).

Spectre said:
They are, actually. My fault for inexplicably leaving out multiple paragraphs from the source article. Corrected, and go back and read the first post. :)

Last edited:
Someone needs to photoshop the grille and headlights onto a catfish.

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but I disagree.

The Z33 was a return to roots, sans turbo. It had a big, brawny NA six cylinder (corporate V6 instead an inline 6, granted), and it was better for being less expensive to buy, and less complicated to work on, compared to the priced-out-of-existence-in-North-America Z32.

I'll concede said V6 sounded like ass (from the inside), and I would personally have preferred to own a Z32 than the Z33 I did have, but there you have it.

Certainly you don't mean the Z33 suffered from lack of turbo in terms of sales. From goodcarbadcar.net:

2002 - 13,253
2003 - 36,728
2004 - 30,690
2005 - 27,278
2006 - 24,635
2007 - 18,957
2008 - 10,337

And that's not including what was essentially the long wheelbase version, the Infiniti G35 coupe, because goodcarsbadcars.net doesn't distinguish its sales from the G35 sedans. But other than the shortened 2002 calendar year (because of start of production), the worst sales for the G35 in that era was still over 60,000 units in the US. Even using conservative estimates, it's fair to say the G35 coupe units approached actual 350Z sales.

Furthermore, both versions quickly became mainstays of the import tuner scene, lending them (to that audience) plenty of street credibility. The Z specific forums had a very long shelf life well after these cars ended production to many people (including yours truly) who wanted, but could afford one, when new.

The car itself was indeed sporty with respect to its handling, and had great seats, but it clearly suffered from lack of practicality (even by sports car standards, excluding the G35 variant), a punishing ride, tire noise, and high-effort controls (steering, clutch, shifter).

They are, actually. My fault for inexplicably leaving out multiple paragraphs from the source article. Corrected, and go back and read the first post. :)

Literally everything he said.

Mmmmmmm, both Z32 and Z33 have a special place in my heart for very different reasons. But, the Z32 like you is 100% my favorite Z car and that's saying a lot because I fucking love Z cars?even the fat ass 280Z. The Z32 was both a classy place to be and an absolute dream to drive (Twin Turbo model). Even though I owned one of its rivals (3000GT VR4) I always lusted for a Z32 with the VG30DETT power plant. Of those Japanese turbo monsters back in the 90?s era only the Z32 Z and the 3000GT VR4 (bias maybe :p) still have their designs hold up. Hell, the Z32 looks like it could be sold today as a new car?based on the exterior only. Nissan should choose the Z32 and do a retro redesign for its next Z car. :D

The Z33 is very much awesome. I liked everything about it. My only complaints were I thought they could of easily squeezed out more power out of that 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 and the interior material quality was a bit suspect. I mean they are now able to squeeze out more power out of a smaller displacement engine so I know it was possible just a decade or so ago.

This new Z car should be brilliant if they are using a 3.0L twin turbo engine. I would buy one (a base 3.0L V6) as a third car if I had the $$$. I?m thrilled that Nissan was able to get ~300bhp out of a 3.0L V6 this time around for its base model. I bet this engine screams and has a hell of a sound track.

Mmmmmmm, both Z32 and Z33 have a special place in my heart for very different reasons. But, the Z32 like you is 100% my favorite Z car and that's saying a lot because I fucking love Z cars?even the fat ass 280Z. The Z32 was both a classy place to be and an absolute dream to drive (Twin Turbo model). Even though I owned one of its rivals (3000GT VR4) I always lusted for a Z32 with the VG30DETT power plant. Of those Japanese turbo monsters back in the 90?s era only the Z32 Z and the 3000GT VR4 (bias maybe :p) still have their designs hold up. Hell, the Z32 looks like it could be sold today as a new car?based on the exterior only. Nissan should choose the Z32 and do a retro redesign for its next Z car. :D

The Z33 is very much awesome. I liked everything about it. My only complaints were I thought they could of easily squeezed out more power out of that 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 and the interior material quality was a bit suspect. I mean they are now able to squeeze out more power out of a smaller displacement engine so I know it was possible just a decade or so ago.

This new Z car should be brilliant if they are using a 3.0L twin turbo engine. I would buy one (a base 3.0L V6) as a third car if I had the $$$. I?m thrilled that Nissan was able to get ~300bhp out of a 3.0L V6 this time around for its base model. I bet this engine screams and has a hell of a sound track.

Squeezing more power out of a smaller N/A engine is not always the best solution, as it is people said the Z was very peaky. High revvers are fun to drive when you can open them up but tend to suck in every day situations. That's one of the reasons I love big V8s, they can easily do both.

Squeezing more power out of a smaller N/A engine is not always the best solution, as it is people said the Z was very peaky. High revvers are fun to drive when you can open them up but tend to suck in every day situations. That's one of the reasons I love big V8s, they can easily do both.
Funny you say that, only because the VQ35DE in the '03'-'06 Z33s (both you and I owned a sample) didn't feel peaky to me at all. For a V6, it had a pretty broad, flat torque curve. The later "rev-up" models, and subsequent VQ37 in the 370Z however, that definitely felt a bit "peakier."

Funny you say that, only because the VQ35DE in the '03'-'06 Z33s (both you and I owned a sample) didn't feel peaky to me at all. For a V6, it had a pretty broad, flat torque curve. The later "rev-up" models, and subsequent VQ37 in the 370Z however, that definitely felt a bit "peakier."

I had the rev-up actually, because it was the anniversary edition.

I had the rev-up actually, because it was the anniversary edition.
Gotcha. That might explain it, your car had a little less torque, and a bit more HP with an increased redline.

As Jim said the VQ35 was a good flat torque curve and had some decent punch lower in the rev range. And the higher rev of the later VQ37 series could be fun since you're likely already taking corners at a higher speed than the norm. It just won't win very many red light drags...which is no fun. lol :)

And yes, preferably I would rather of seen a VK45 stuffed in a "350" Z. That V8 was a good one. But I doubt they would of fit in an already cramped engine bay.

The VQ35 was a sweet V6, one of my favorites. Something always irked me about the VQ37... ;) Always felt like something was missing you know.

And yes, preferably I would rather of seen a VK45 stuffed in a "350" Z. That V8 was a good one. But I doubt they would of fit in an already cramped engine bay.

Nah, go with the TB48DE. Sure, it's only six cylinders, but it's bigger and an inline motor, which means more room for turbos, right? :thumbsup:

Nah, go with the TB48DE. Sure, it's only six cylinders, but it's bigger and an inline motor, which means more room for turbos, right? :thumbsup:

I don't think an inline 6 would even fit. LOL Wasn't that also a truck engine?

The last 2 generations suffered oil cooling problems on NA motors and now you want them to mess with Turbos on the next one? :p

I don't think an inline 6 would even fit. LOL Wasn't that also a truck engine?

Yeah, it went into the previous-gen Nissan Patrol (current gen has VQ and VK engines). 280 hp stock, but a few owners over here put turbos on them.