They Want Ten Thousand Dollars for This?

Bubs360

Car(s)
'91 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
DSCF8577.jpg

My friends, please take the time to gaze upon this piece of automotive perfection that is for sale at a local pawn shop, and is apparently a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC. For anyone lacking in Mercedes-Benz knowledge, this means it is equipped with a 5.6 liter V8. The "S" stands for "Sonderklasse", otherwise known as "Super Class" in English. The "E" stands for "Einspritz", or fuel injection. The C, obviously, stands for Coupe.
DSCF8587.jpg

This was once a car for only the most affluent and successful Americans. According to a very, very reliable source - Wikipedia - 28,929 of these rolled off the assembly lines in Sindelfingen. That makes it a relatively rare car here in the United States. This particular example, however, has not appeared to move from this spot in over a year.
DSCF8579.jpg

Would you like to guess what sort of reasonable price this car is being sold for? That's right, a paltry $10,000. Not $1,000 or even $100.Ten thousand dollars. Now, let's explore what makes this car worth the price.
DSCF8582.jpg

It has an incredibly low 214,550 miles. A phone call to the pawn shop tells me that the car only has 116,000 miles. Not that a lying pawn shop clerk is any real big surprise. The car is apparently in "great shape".
DSCF8583.jpg

Note the incredibly thorough repaint. The door jambs reveal that this car was originally "Safari Beige", just like my old 420SEL - and just like every other god damn Mercedes around here built before 1993. So, it is high mileage and does not have the original paint. What else could make this car worth $10,000?
DSCF8588.jpg

It certainly is not the trunk, which is a complete disaster. It is actually better than I expected - I figured there would be a human body or something of that nature in there. Apparently this is the way that the trunk of any $10,000 classic should look.
DSCF8591.jpg

It would not be the interior either. It's there, but is not showroom in any way. Honestly it is in pretty decent shape for 214,550 miles, but it isn't making this car worth ten grand.
DSCF8589.jpg

The tire condition also has nothing to do with the high price. Three are there, but heavily worn. One is flat. All are dry-rotted. All are nice and shiny.
DSCF8590.jpg

The flat tire has pieces of rubber flaking off the sidewall.
DSCF8596.jpg

The other tires are not exactly new either.
DSCF8593.jpg

After entering the pawn shop and asking if I could hear the engine run, I was told that the car will need a battery to get off the lot. I also confirmed that the car is indeed for sale for ten thousand. I don't know any person who would pay ten grand for this boat anchor of a car, or any car that has a flat tire and will not start. I was also informed that it worth ten thousand in part because it is in "fantastic shape", and also because it is a "special edition". Unless anyone can correct me, I am not aware of any special edition 560 SEC cars sold in America. I was hoping to at least get a look under the hood, but it appears that the latch mechanism is broken.
DSCF8584.jpg

Here's a checklist of everything the car has going for it:
It's a 560SEC, which is a neat and relatively rare car.
The 5.6 liter V8 means that, in running condition, it should be relatively quick.
It's a W126 Mercedes.
The tire shine they used is terrific.

Here's the checklist of why this car isn't worth anywhere near the asking price:
214,550 miles.
Horrendous paint job, not the original color. My research indicates that this repaint isn't even a stock W126 color.
Rust.
Three bald tires and one flat. All are dry-rotted.
Hood won't open. Trunk is torn apart.
Two inches of steering freeplay.
Won't start. Dead battery.
No inspection sticker or owner history of any kind. Typical pawn shop sketchiness.
Oh, and this:

Here is the Kelly Blue Book value for this car on a private party value. Just to give it the benefit of the doubt, I even checked options that the car doesn't even have.
Merc1.png

In excellent condition, which is not anywhere near the actual car, it is worth a little under $4,000. When I took the KBB Condition Quiz to appraise the car's condition, it was so awful that it does not even get a blue book value.
Merc2.png

DSCF8598.jpg

So, there you have it. $10,000 worth of German Aluminum-und-Schteel. Come with a flatbed and take it away!

I lol'd.

It's a bargain! They know what a good car is. ;)

...let's be honest, the W126 Coupe is allready rare over here, I guess it'll be even rarer over there, so it might worth it.

Hahahahaha. That's hilarious, but not surprising. There's a dealer here that like to try and sell older cars with high end nameplates for obnoxious amounts of money. They've had a late 80s Mercedes coupe and a Porsche Targa recently that they wanted about 25k for each. They sat there for over a year.

Those are steelies, aren't they? Did it even come with them in stock form? And there's a black W126 coupe near where I live and even though its paint job is not top notch, it looks like a real menacing car.

No, they are stock alloys with a red "accent" to try and make the car's paint look stock. My 420SEL had the same wheels.

Oh, and nice Vault Boy avatar.

http://img529.imageshack.**/img529/6420/swisstoni.jpg

Of course, selling a beater Mercedes SEC for an extortionate amount of money is much like making love to a beautiful woman. Wooing is easy, with delusions of former grandeur and the fact that back in the eighties literally everyone would have been fighting off competition to take it from you. All you have to do then is hope they don't notice too much that the performance just isn't up to what it used to be, and even worse, the only rubber you've got is completely broken. After that all you can do is just have to hope a passer by doesn't put photographs of it on the internet.

I know of two black ones here with AMG wheels, and my god they are pretty

A very good example would be worth over 20k? around here. This? 2k maybe?

Oh, and it's on the wrong tyres, should be on 215s.

Is that a wheat penny?

</random>

You're sure this pile of heap wasn't accidentally found in the northern Helsinki area? :D

Awesomely horrible. I call crack pipe.

Kinda reminds me of that episode of Pawn Stars when that guy tried to sell his old 280

What you don't see in this clip, is that earlier on, the guy said that it was worth $60-$70 grand, and that he was hoping to get $28,000 for it.

I saw that episode. That 280SX is neat but seriously not worth more than $2,000 me thinks. And only because it was a special edition.

This 560 SEC Merc? Run away...

OOh! Wheat Penny! Worth more than the car is.

Say... are you sure it's a 560? I mean, it's got a repaint of questionable quality and a dozen other flaws....

a car is only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay for.