Things worth seeing around East Coast (US)

Lastsoul

Car(s)
MX5, 406 Coup?, 106 Rallye, Porsche 924, X300 Six
What's worth visiting in east coast?

Group of twenty or so automotive journalists is traveling to US in early 2016 and I was asked to find out where to go. At the moment we are planning on visiting NYC, Washington DC and Detroit (or the automotive industry around it). Traveling further away from that area is not impossible if there is something really worth seeing.

Everything related to cars and traffic interests me. Obvious stuff like museums, motorsport events (NASCAR, or something else...) or factory visits are cool. So are huge automotive research/test centers, enormous traffic control centers or truly epic cars and coffee events. Also it doesn't have to be a place which is normally open for public visits. And most importantly, it really doesn't have to be world famous.

Which places would be most memorable to visit for a group of journalists from a small country far away?

Last edited:
How early in the year and how many days/weeks are you talking? Unless you swing further south, you probably won't find many races before late March.

Anyway, set aside a day or two to hit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum on the Detroit end of this journey.

Monticello race track in upstate NY (bout 2 hours away from NYC). Lime Rock park in Connecticut is also worth a visit.

Thanks! Schedule is not yet set, which gives freedom but makes accurate planning harder. Anyway, Lime Rock and Indianapolis are both great options for the motorsport side, and Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum is something I'd really love to see. Personally I'm also really interested seeing how Detroit looks like nowadays.

Is it possible to take guided tours in the Packard factory? Or is there nothing else than destruction to see anymore?

If you're in the Boston area, definitely hit up Larz Anderson. Depending on the time of year you visit, you may even be able to make it to a lawn event - those are always awesome.

Last edited:
Also, there's a small FG cluster in Boston, myself included.

If you're in the Boston area, definitely hit up Larz Anderson. Depending on the time of year you visit, you may even be able to make it to a lawn event - those are always awesome.

Great! Things like this are exactly what I'm after. Stuff that's definitely worth visiting, but which reputation hasn't crossed the ocean. Boston is possibly a bit too north for our tour, but hopefully not :)