Think of going on the Ring? Bring your balls. M3 takes out Mini, rolls, burns

They could use the flashing yellow lights system employed by many tracks around the world. Could be controlled by an operator monitoring cameras placed around the track or the flag guards.

They could also install safer barriers instead of that killer corrugated steel planking.

Nah that'd make it almost safe. Then they'd start increasing the safety zones and remodel the dangerous corners and then it wouldnt be the ring anymore...

Last edited:
The barriers are safe. Keep in mind it is an OLD racetrack with nearly NO run off areas and forest/cliffs on the other side of the barriers most of the time........and these barriers hold Porsche Cup GT3 cars off hitting them at ~270km/h so I guess they do their job just fine.

The barriers are safe. Keep in mind it is an OLD racetrack with nearly NO run off areas and forest/cliffs on the other side of the barriers most of the time........and these barriers hold Porsche Cup GT3 cars off hitting them at ~270km/h so I guess they do their job just fine.

Yeah, but a lot of people are getting killed by hitting them. The "safer barrier" tech doesn't just keep cars in (which is relatively easy), it can also keep people slamming into it from being killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFER_barrier

These are also motorcycle safe, or can be made so.

Yeah, but a lot of people are getting killed by hitting them. The "safer barrier" tech doesn't just keep cars in (which is relatively easy), it can also keep people slamming into it from being killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFER_barrier

These are also motorcycle safe, or can be made so.

Ok, but now get a quote on how much it is to retrofit ~21km of racetrack on both sides with it in Germany :p

As for the actual story. Race track, high speeds (ESPECIALLY at Tiergarten), mixture of drivers its amazing this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. The speed differential would have been enormous. Note the roll cage in the M3 kiddies, only reason he is still alive.

this

don't they have different classes for trackdays? It's just stupid to have drivers of cars with THAT much speed difference in the same place at the same time.

If I ever dare to drive the Ring with my own car, I would be constantly looking in my mirrors for faster stuff trying to pass me... would be kinda annoying come to think of it.

What they need is "noob days" where people can drive their 1.2 corsas and stuff on track safely.

For a public access road, I think the only viable solution, at least money wise is the one where cameras are put up and lights are placed all around the road to warn people. There will always be accidents, since everyone that is there and driving fast may not have any experience at particular speeds. Everybody makes mistakes while driving, no matter what the speed.

Also just wanted to say, even though no one was seriously hurt, a part of me died when I saw the burnt M3....:cry:

Ok, but now get a quote on how much it is to retrofit ~21km of racetrack on both sides with it in Germany :p

You don't need to retrofit all the barriers, just the ones in the corners and then only the outside edge.

It'd probably be cheaper than the bill to the German taxpayer for all the hospital care of those that crash and are severely injured.

For a public access road, I think the only viable solution, at least money wise is the one where cameras are put up and lights are placed all around the road to warn people. There will always be accidents, since everyone that is there and driving fast may not have any experience at particular speeds. Everybody makes mistakes while driving, no matter what the speed.

Also just wanted to say, even though no one was seriously hurt, a part of me died when I saw the burnt M3....:cry:

It's OK it's the current model so not like there is a shortage of them. Also if a car like that has to go I would much rather see it burst into flames due to a crash on a race track than rear ended by some idiot in an Escalade (my most hated SUV).

You don't need to retrofit all the barriers, just the ones in the corners and then only the outside edge.

It'd probably be cheaper than the bill to the German taxpayer for all the hospital care of those that crash and are severely injured.

Oh we are one step away from Obama again, are we? Most accidents are covered under your individual health insurance or your cars insurance. And to retrofit "only the corners", remember, this isn't NASCAR, the track has over 75 corners.......

I'm aware of how many corners it has - but you could still retrofit the nastiest ones at the very least. It'd help.

Well seeing that this accident happened on an almost straight part....no.

^There are more accidents happening than this particular one you know.. :b

After driving past such wreckage and devastation like what is shown in the video, I don't see how anyone can resume driving fast. That is sobering for sure. I guess that's what sets apart racing drivers.

Good to see they made it out ok though.

Look again please, that was a fully caged E36.

My bad you are correct. Though from that wreck its hard to tell what car it is the only reason that I know its not the E92(or was it 91?) is because its a straight 6 and not a V8. Still this is the way for a race car to go.

It's a miracle the guy in the M3 survived. :blink:

My bad you are correct. Though from that wreck its hard to tell what car it is the only reason that I know its not the E92(or was it 91?) is because its a straight 6 and not a V8. Still this is the way for a race car to go.

The still pretty intact front bumper is a dead giveaway :p