Think of going on the Ring? Bring your balls. M3 takes out Mini, rolls, burns

this

don't they have different classes for trackdays? It's just stupid to have drivers of cars with THAT much speed difference in the same place at the same time.

If I ever dare to drive the Ring with my own car, I would be constantly looking in my mirrors for faster stuff trying to pass me... would be kinda annoying come to think of it.

What they need is "noob days" where people can drive their 1.2 corsas and stuff on track safely.

They usually don't group the cars based on performance, but rather driver experience.

Some track day companies run "sport" and "supercar" days. Sport being somewhat fast and above, and supercar obviously only Lambos and Porsches etc. But I've never seen a "reasonably priced" track day. :)

The still pretty intact front bumper is a dead giveaway :p

+1

Also the engine was a giveaway that it wasn't the current M3. You can see the straight 6 cylinders.

Kinda got back to this thread after seeing the amount of negreps on my comment. Guess I had it coming, defending a tasteless comment. But just thought I'd clarify ..

Driving quickly on track days, it's inevitable that someone will get hurt. I meant to point out the fact that denying the guy's comment for bad humour is denying the hazardousness of this sport, and that is just plain naive. Of course I don't hope for anyone to get hurt while driving. I don't HOPE for anyone to get hurt, full stop! It's a sad day when anyone dies on any track, but if we don't laugh about the danger, what's the point?

For all you track day nuts, I sincerely hope you have your helmet and rollcage up to battle standards, in case you do miss the apex and finish the lap wrong side up, so we could all shrug it off and live to drive too fast and laugh about it on forums.

But anyway, no harm came to anyone this time. And thank safety precautions for that. My apologies if my comment offended anyone, no disrespect meant to drivers injured on tracks or otherwise.

^Humor on the internet is not the same as it is IRL. It seemed like he was wishing ill on fellow gear heads. Also cages are not always a viable option as they require alot of mods to the car in the first place.

^Humor on the internet is not the same as it is IRL. It seemed like he was wishing ill on fellow gear heads. Also cages are not always a viable option as they require alot of mods to the car in the first place.

If you think that's a PITA, try installing one on a motorcycle!

don't they have different classes for trackdays? It's just stupid to have drivers of cars with THAT much speed difference in the same place at the same time.
They do at many trackdays, but since the ring is like 5 times as long as any normal track, it?s not really very practical. And since renting the ring is so bloody expensive, they mostly do the open pitlane thing on trackdays, which is much more enjoyable anyway.

The good clubs tend to have marshalls in place though, at least at the really dangerous places.

And the ring does have a system of cameras and yellow warning lights, but since the people who operate them are evidently too stupid to turn them off after the problem has resolved itself, the vast majority tends to ignore them.

What they need is "noob days" where people can drive their 1.2 corsas and stuff on track safely.
They do have that, it?s called Touristenfahrten. ;)

Properly welded cage, nice.

And since renting the ring is so bloody expensive, they mostly do the open pitlane thing on trackdays, which is much more enjoyable anyway.

Do you happen to know how much it is? You can rent Laguna Seca for 8 grand a day (15 grand during the racing season) with a limit of 25 vehicles.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know how much it is? You can rent Laguna Seca for 8 grand a day (15 grand during the racing season) with a limit of 25 vehicles.
It depends on lots of factors, season, day of the week, connections, etc... I don?t remember any exact figures, I just remember fainting whenever they?ve been quoted by anyone...

How does that fit in with the "safely" in NooDle's comment? :p
Well it?s certainly safer than doing your first lap in a 1.2 corsa during a trackday. :mrgreen:

The average level of driving skill is obviously much much lower during tourist sessions, but so are the average speeds. The main problem are really just the guys that look at the stopwatch more than the road, but the majority of those are easily recognizable by the fact that they?re in a rental-racecar or have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

How does that fit in with the "safely" in NooDle's comment? :p

The average level of driving skill is obviously much much lower during tourist sessions, but so are the average speeds. The main problem are really just the guys that look at the stopwatch more than the road, but the majority of those are easily recognizable by the fact that they?re in a rental-racecar or have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Still, I think there would be a market for "regular" touristenfahrten, as in "You have a 911 you're not allowed on the track at the moment"

Also, they should time the car with a sort of transponder system, to stop idiots from looking at their in car stopwatch all the time

Also, they should time the car with a sort of transponder system, to stop idiots from looking at their in car stopwatch all the time
If I wanted to clock my laps (I actually didn't do that, really), I couldn't look at the stopwatch during the lap because it's located at my wrist.

^It's called Dynolicious, geez I thought everyone had iPhones by now :D (Or at least iPod touches)

Still, I think there would be a market for "regular" touristenfahrten, as in "You have a 911 you're not allowed on the track at the moment"
The car really doesn?t make that much of a difference during the open sessions. I?d say at least half of the 911s are slower than me. On trackdays on the other hand it?s safe to assume that everyone knows what the pedal on the far right is for, and my Mini doesn?t stand the slightest chance.

Well no. Breaking records is not the point of the tourist sessions, if you give them transponders they?ll feel encouraged to go even faster. On the touristenfahrer-forum you?re not even allowed to post any laptimes from tourist sessions. And if you crash on the ring and the cops find a running stopwatch in your car, you are seriously seriously fucked.

I rarely time my laps, because there isn?t much point. Often my codrivers do just out of interest. And while I do like it when they tell me what it was afterwards, just to see roughly where I stand, my goal is to do clean laps and have fun. Again, trackdays are a different story.

If I wanted to clock my laps (I actually didn't do that, really), I couldn't look at the stopwatch during the lap because it's located at my wrist.

some cars have a built in stopwatch, and you can just put one on the hood like Jeremy did in his Jaaaaag when he drove the Ring

^It's called Dynolicious, geez I thought everyone had iPhones by now :D (Or at least iPod touches)

That's hardly an accurate way of measuring things.

The car really doesn?t make that much of a difference during the open sessions. I?d say at least half of the 911s are slower than me. On trackdays on the other hand it?s safe to assume that everyone knows what the pedal on the far right is for, and my Mini doesn?t stand the slightest chance.

True, but it's much harder to rate driver skill...
Besides, even the most hamfisted 911 driver will be quicker than, like, me.
And even the Stiggiest of Stigs will be slower than a 911 in my car.

Well no. Breaking records is not the point of the tourist sessions, if you give them transponders they?ll feel encouraged to go even faster. On the touristenfahrer-forum you?re not even allowed to post any laptimes from tourist sessions. And if you crash on the ring and the cops find a running stopwatch in your car, you are seriously seriously fucked.

understandable, but my point would be to rule out the whole running stopwatch thing. Do it like karting, you do a few laps and get a printout in the end to brag to your friends with. The whole point is that you have no idea what your times are while you're doing them, to keep your focus.