thinking about a G35 coupe

I wasn't expecting to see so much hate on the g35 in here, I mean its a 260ish hp rwd 2 door coupe, ya its kinda heavy but its also quiet, reliable, and cheaper to maintain than most the other options given here.

don't get the Tc, I guarantee you will regret driving around in a 160 hp fwd when you could have had 260 driving the rears.

I think its a great car:
good looking
fun to drive
back seats
cheap to buy
cheap to run
cheap to insure

It doesn't matter what other people think - if you like it, it suits your needs, and won't be a reliability disaster, go for it.

What do poeple think about spending $12000 for a newer Scion TC instead

Totally different from the other things that you've suggested.

to the OP : do you know what car you want? because you're suggesting a whole bunch of cars that are TOTALLY different in style, comfort, purpose...

only thing they really have in common is they have roughly the same price...

I want a car that shows that I am a young successful professional.

The best way you can do that is to just shut up.

I don't mean any offense by that. You don't need to brag. You don't need to display. You don't need to have a "nice" car. Smart people will know. Do you really want stupid people to know you're "successful?"

What do poeple think about spending $12000 for a newer Scion TC instead

I have a 2007 Scion tC.

No. Just, no.

Judging by your criteria, you want to drive your money. A FWD Toyota will not do that for you. I'm young and "successful" enough to live on my own and enjoy things, but I don't really have any desire to advertise it, so my econo-coupe daily driver/autocrosser suits me just fine... but it's going to lack the flash that you seem to want from a car. However, if you want to not draw the ire that comes with advertising that you're a "young and successful professional", I'd recommend a tC without hesitation.

Last edited:
Being slow and unreliable hit them hard :)
not so much slow as unreliable. A lot of problems were fixed in the 2006 revision though. Some stuff was done with the engines. Just need to be careful in the start and turn off of the motor so it doesnt flood.

With that sort of attitude, I'd have to say an Audi would suit you to a tee.

imo

and that being said:
2002 S4 = 13Kish
2003 S8 = 15Kish

not so much slow as unreliable. A lot of problems were fixed in the 2006 revision though. Some stuff was done with the engines. Just need to be careful in the start and turn off of the motor so it doesnt flood.

and not even that unreliable. Being relatively active in the mazda comunity i know plenty of people that have RX-8's and most have had no problems. All the people that have had problems either got them fixed under warranty or beat on their cars and when i say beat i am not talking autox or a few track days i mean really beat on them. Plus mazda just extended all the warrantys to 100k/8yrs just make sure it has the latest mazda ECU flash. The only real reason i would question getting an RX-8 would be that you need to either go to the dealer for service or know a mechanic that will work on rotaries which can be less than easy to find and the independent guy tend to be busy alot of the time because they are the only game in town

Last edited:
^Goddammit you can get those cars cheap!

All I could find on a local site was

- an Audi S8 from 1998 with 297k kms on it, for 12000? (which is 15K $)
- 2 Audi S4s, both 2003 models with 115k kms on it, for 25000? (which is 31ish K$)

and that being said:
2002 S4 = 13Kish
2003 S8 = 15Kish
S8 would suck in this day and age, extremely thirsty. The B5 S4's are pretty nice but I'm not the biggest fan of the looks. Also if he doesn't care too much about performance and doesn't want to bother with maintenance a 6 year old turbo engine might not be the best choice. Love em to death but turbos do need some love.
and not even that unreliable. Being relatively active in the mazda comunity i know plenty of people that have RX-8's and most have had no problems. All the people that have had problems either got them fixed under warranty or beat on their cars and when i say beat i am not talking autox or a few track days i mean really beat on them. Plus mazda just extended all the warrantys to 100k/8yrs just make sure it has the latest mazda ECU flash. The only real reason i would question getting an RX-8 would be that you need to either go to the dealer for service or know a mechanic that will work on rotaries which can be less than easy to find and the independent guy tend to be busy alot of the time because they are the only game in town
Still slow though :)
I got a problem with the RX-8, which is basically that it is not the RX-7. It's similar to the problem I have with the 350Z, the previous model of both was alot more insane and had a turbo (or two in RX-7s case).

I have a 2007 Scion tC.

No. Just, no.

Judging by your criteria, you want to drive your money. A FWD Toyota will not do that for you. I'm young and "successful" enough to live on my own and enjoy things, but I don't really have any desire to advertise it, so my econo-coupe daily driver/autocrosser suits me just fine... but it's going to lack the flash that you seem to want from a car. However, if you want to not draw the ire that comes with advertising that you're a "young and successful professional", I'd recommend a tC without hesitation.

I agree with him, if youre concerned about the image you project, then a Scion tC won't do that for you, it says 'i want to buy a more expensive car but got this instead because it fell in my price range'. Plus i hear from other tC owners, while its pretty fun to drive, all those owners aspired for something a little more powerful, sporty, etc and it fell short of their expectations.

OP: you totally sound like a BMW 3 series, Audi A4, G35 type customer, i suggest you stick with the tried and true if you want a car w a safe, consistent image youre looking for.

Still slow though :)
got a problem with the RX-8, which is basically that it is not the RX-7. It's similar to the problem I have with the 350Z, the previous model of both was alot more insane and had a turbo (or two in RX-7s case).

people need to learn that the RX prefix means nothing more than rotary powered it doesn have anything at all to do with performance. Thats why there were 3 generations of RX-7 because they made 3 generation of 2 seat rotary sports cars. If the RX-8 was supposed to be the next RX-7 they would have called it the RX-7. Also the 300ZX (Z32) had 2 turbos not one.

A GTO will get 30mpg highway if you drive somewhat conservatively. Hell even a 7.0 liter Z06 vette will get 30mpg highway with 505hp.

I really don't have a problem with the G35 (I think its quite disproportional to be honest) but the owners....they make me hate them.

I wasn't expecting to see so much hate on the g35 in here, I mean its a 260ish hp rwd 2 door coupe, ya its kinda heavy but its also quiet, reliable, and cheaper to maintain than most the other options given here.

don't get the Tc, I guarantee you will regret driving around in a 160 hp fwd when you could have had 260 driving the rears.

I was thinking the same thing. I love the g35, and almost bought one when I was looking for a car. The dealer had a gorgeous black sport coupe with nav and everything for about $19k. Too bad it was already sold though.

and that being said:
2002 S4 = 13Kish

A good toss into the hat, but an 02 S4? Really?..... REALLY? I mean we want him to be able to GET to work. With all the reliability issues of the B5 S4 between the K03 turbos, the timing chain, the oil cooling lines, the diverter valves, the CV joints, the AWD, the axles, the internals, and hourly dealer labour rate... it's a ticking time bomb.

I wanted on of them for THE LONGEST time. Mostly because I realised how easy it was to get the car from 250bhp to 300+bhp for a relatively small amount with a chip tune. Simply amazing. But the reliability was just not good enough. I was sick of fixing my GTI every weekend when a new thing would break and the S4 would be more of the same I was sure of it.

Now, say your budget is $20,000. You might be inclined to buy an S4 for $13k, and then do the Stage II K04 + chip/exhaust RS4 upgrade. That would be about $5,000-$7,000 there, but it would make your S4 about 3,000,000,000,000% more reliable, and pushing damn near 450-500bhp.

What pushed me away from that idea was the safety. The B5 A4/S4 models had very bad crash test ratings (2-3 stars), and while no one plans on getting in an accident, it's a factor.

Andrew911tt, it seems to me your not getting 100% what you want here, and you need to realise that's what you'll get from a community of people that love all cars, not just a specific brand. A LOT of the people here will tell you what THEY want you to buy. The guys that recommended the Mustangs, for instance.

In my advice, Andrew, the BEST thing you can do is just sit down with a pad and pen and write down all contributing factors to your decision. I went through HUNDREDS of cars from all different styles and couldn't figure it out. One week I wanted an NSX, three days later it was a 2004 540i, the following week it was an '03 VW R32. So you don't fall into the same hole I did, write down your top 10 cars at the top and scratch the off as you figure out what points are most important and what ones don't meet that criteria.

I wanted a car that I could be comfortable in (ever sit in an R's seats?, OMG...), a car that could give me a comfortable ride when I wanted it, but could trash the back roads on a Sunday cruise, something fast that could keep up with newer, quicker, cars, a car that represented my personality, a car that was safe, something I could tune, and something that if I kept it for the long run, I could fit a family + dogs in it..... Volvo S60R.

The G35 is a great car, it's a bit more expensive than its sister Z, but then it's a luxury badge and a bit more practical at the same time. Good luck, you'll make a great decision :thumbsup:

The turbo failure in the B5 S4 is a result of a combination of 3 things. the throttlebody boot (TBB) the bypass valves and in early 2000 - 2001.5 S4's the F hose. If any of these things are damanged it will allows the trubos to go into surge (which kills them) Fixes for all 3 of these problems can be carried out by a home mechanic for as around $430 (if you do them all at once 350 for ARP silicone TBB $35x2 for 710N Bypass Valves and $25 for a new F hose) I am not going to say that the S4 is a paragon of reliability but it's not as bad as everyone likes to say it is you just need to take some preventative maintanence (definitly do the bypass valves and inspect the TBB)