Thinking about a Mk4 Golf GTI - thoughts?

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
I'm considering selling the Astra and getting something cheaper, the idea of a Mk4 GTI (and getting a tune done on it) came into my head. Thoughts? Advice? Other options for around the same price ($15k AUD)? A previous gen (TS) Astra turbo is also an option.

Cheers.

The main issue would be the upkeep. Keeping an older, tuned European car over here up and running is ging to be a lot more than a pretty common Holden- parts are more available, more authorised service centres, etc. That's what is primarily stopping my dad from buying a new GTI- he can afford the upfront cost, but the upkeep is too worrying for him. If it's affordable though, I think go for it.

I haven't seen the mk4 GTIs around my area before, mk4 golf gti, do they look majorly different to the regular golfs? (you see a lot of them, and a fair few mk3s too)

I haven't seen the mk4 GTIs around my area before, mk4 golf gti, do they look majorly different to the regular golfs? (you see a lot of them, and a fair few mk3s too)

Apart from the badge they look exactly the same.

EDIT: Nissan Stagea ? If you're willing to spend a bit more you could get a WRX.

Last edited:
The main issue would be the upkeep. Keeping an older, tuned European car over here up and running is ging to be a lot more than a pretty common Holden- parts are more available, more authorised service centres, etc. That's what is primarily stopping my dad from buying a new GTI- he can afford the upfront cost, but the upkeep is too worrying for him. If it's affordable though, I think go for it.

That's a prime concern - I suspect the upkeep would be more expensive than the Astra, which is leaning me away from the idea. The genesis of my plan is to try and get a bit extra cash to help with buying a house.

EDIT: Nissan Stagea ? If you're willing to spend a bit more you could get a WRX.

If I were to change cars the goal would be to make as much as possible on the swap (I'd be selling and buying privately of course), so the purchase price of the replacement car needs to be as low as possible. Plus it needs to fit into a nice affordable / fast-enough / fun-enough zone without being decades old.

I was speaking to a mate of mine about this today as he owns a Mk4 GTI and is about to get an ECU tune on it - he's coming up to a major service with timing belt change and not expecting any change out of $2k, which is, err, a bit daunting...

Last edited:
not wanting to burst your bubble, but Golf Mk V GTI >>>>>>>>>>>> Golf Mk IV GTI in the "fun/fast" department

I'm considering selling the Astra and getting something cheaper, the idea of a Mk4 GTI (and getting a tune done on it) came into my head. Thoughts? Advice? Other options for around the same price ($15k AUD)? A previous gen (TS) Astra turbo is also an option.

Cheers.

having driven your gen astra for 3 years, and now driving previous generation, i can assure you the previous gen doesn't come close on terms of grip, braking, turning, ...it realy is a crap car!

so i wouldn't go for that

i'm not a fan of the golf IV at all, so i'd search for an audi A3/A4. should be able to find some decent ones for an affordable price.
and they're chipeable beyond belief :)

Last edited:
having driven your gen astra for 3 years, and now driving previous generation, i can assure you the previous gen doesn't come close on terms of grip, braking, turning, ...it realy is a crap car!

so i wouldn't go for that

Ahem... I'd say it's the other way around, older Astra is better (but then I am biased :p)

i'm not a fan of the golf IV at all, so i'd search for an audi A3/A4. should be able to find some decent ones for an affordable price.

Aren't Audis extremely expensive in Upside Downland?

not wanting to burst your bubble, but Golf Mk V GTI >>>>>>>>>>>> Golf Mk IV GTI in the "fun/fast" department

Well, yes, of course they are, a MkV would also cost me twice as much as a MkIV, and I'd have to *spend* cash to buy one, which would rather defeat the point of the exercise. If I were to get a MkIV I'd be getting an ECU tune on it which would put it around the 145kw / 325Nm mark, which would sort out the lack-of-fast problem.

Down here the A3s / A4s are quite a bit more expensive than the Golf. And besides, the A3 is just a MkIV Golf anyway. Being easily chipped applies to the MkIV too - which is a reason I'm considering the change.

So is anyone aware of any major problems etc the MkIV Golf is known for? Things to be wary of?

^ Not an option - the MkIV R32 is waaaaaayyy out of the price range I need the car to be in for this change to make sense, and I don't want a MkIII VR6 as the age puts me off.

The price range I'm looking at is around AUD 15k - 16k, I don't want a car more than seven or eight years old, or with > 130,000kms on it. It still needs to have good build quality & reliability, be a fun drive (hence the plan to chip it), and have a good level of safety.

Last edited:
^ Not an option - the MkIV R32 is waaaaaayyy out of the price range I need the car to be in for this change to make sense, and I don't want a MkIII VR6 as the age puts me off.

The price range I'm looking at is around AUD 15k - 16k, I don't want a car more than seven or eight years old, or with > 130,000kms on it. It still needs to have good build quality & reliability, be a fun drive (hence the plan to chip it), and have a good level of safety.

Not the r32 just the gti vr6 it's still fwd and has way more boot, add an intake and exhaust and you'll be puttin down chipped 1.8 numbers with a way better sound and longer term reliability.

Or was the MkIV vr6 gti only avaliable in the US/CAN? I have no idea.

Last edited:
^ Can't speak for other countries, but the MkIV GTI was 1.8T only here (AFAIK).

I've seen XR6 turbos sold at auctions for around 15k-16k... :hmm:

^ For bang-for-bucks they're hard to beat - but I don't need a car that size, nor do I want the fuel bill...