Thinking of buying a new car

kurthest

Car(s)
2008 BMW 335i Coupe (e92)
Let me first say that I'm looking for a sporty, 4wd car with decent performance.

I have 2 contenders.

Audi S4 with the 3.0 supercharged v6, which with options I want will cost the equivalent of ?135000.

BMW 335i xDrive Coupe , which with options I want will cost the equivalent of ?105000.

Both would be with manual 6-speed gear.

One thing to consider is that the Audi-dealership here in Norway is crap! (A chain selling VAG cars by the name of M?ller)

Any thoughts on which is the better to drive? (I cant go into the shops to test, because they dont have those kinds of models on stand)

Also I'm interested to hear about common faults with either car, basically I need enough info to make a qualified decision.

My dad has only had positive experiences with M?ller. :?

Can't you get a used M3 coup? for the same money?

My dad has only had positive experiences with M?ller. :?

Can't you get a used M3 coup? for the same money?

Yeah, but I dont want a NA car with a stiff ride :p
And v8's still use too much petrol.

I looked at the price and thought: He must have made a mistake, or the conversion was wrong.
So I went to the German Audi website and spec'd up an S4. Hit around 89000?.
That proved my theory.
Then I went to the Norwegian site, fought my way through (knowing no Norwegian) and just looked at the base price, converted it into Euros and I have to say:
Are they crazy or what? Why is a car twice (!!!) as expensive as in Germany?
Thats pure madness.
I pity you.
Edit: I'd choose the BMW, just personal preference. Why do you need 4wd?

Last edited:
I looked at the price and thought: He must have made a mistake, or the conversion was wrong.
That proved my theory.
Then I went to the Norwegian site, fought my way through (knowing no Norwegian) and just looked at the base price, converted it into Euros and I have to say:
Thats pure madness.
I pity you.

Yeah they tax us to death (well almost anyways).
They put a progressive tax on CO2-emissions, horsepower and weight.

As an example, the horsepower tax on the 335i is as follows:
Based on kW (225 kW on the 335i)
First 65 kW : 65 * 127,44 = 8 284
Next 5 kW : 25 * 531,00 = 13 275
Next 40 kW : 40 * 1 274,39 = 50 976
All above 130 kW : 95 * 2 654,98 = 252 389
Total Sum: 324 924 NOK = ~ ?32000

About 4wd, if I want to use the car from november to april, I'd be stuck far down the road from my garage without it.

Last edited:
Why high powered cars are expensive in Norway: "Luxury car tax" which basically makes decently powered cars massively expensive.

Anyway, I would prolly go for the Audi, since Quattro is very handy during winter and gives overall better all weather performance.

Anyway, I would prolly go for the Audi, since Quattro is very handy during winter and gives overall better all weather performance.

What makes Quattro better than BMW's xDrive ?

Let me first say that I'm looking for a sporty, 4wd car with decent performance.

I have 2 contenders.

Audi S4 with the 3.0 supercharged v6, which with options I want will cost the equivalent of ?135000.

BMW 335i xDrive Coupe , which with options I want will cost the equivalent of ?105000.

Both would be with manual 6-speed gear.

One thing to consider is that the Audi-dealership here in Norway is crap! (A chain selling VAG cars by the name of M?ller)

Any thoughts on which is the better to drive? (I cant go into the shops to test, because they dont have those kinds of models on stand)

Also I'm interested to hear about common faults with either car, basically I need enough info to make a qualified decision.

As an american, i know everything!!! (just kidding), i would say, Audi. just because its an Audi. personally, i just think its a better car, more fun to drive and its way more reliable, in my opinion.

the american thing really was a joke! BTW;)

Tell me, what makes the Quattro so much better than the xDrive?

I'd go for the BMW. I think it looks better (especially when equipped with the M-Bodykit) and the engine is a masterpiece.

Last edited:
What makes Quattro better than BMW's xDrive ?

Generally sparking,
The quattro in the S4 is full time, so when you are driving it is always in all wheel drive.
xDrive is rear wheel drive untill it detects slippage, then it sends power to the front.

Generally in snow you want it to be all wheel drive all of the time...but xDrive should have less understeer. However, for a daily driver that needs to drive though a lot of snow, i would go with the S4 for added security...you arent really going to be able to push the car hard enough to have understeer issues on the road.

Generally sparking,
The quattro in the S4 is full time, so when you are driving it is always in all wheel drive.
xDrive is rear wheel drive untill it detects slippage, then it sends power to the front.

Generally in snow you want it to be all wheel drive all of the time...but xDrive should have less understeer. However, for a daily driver that needs to drive though a lot of snow, i would go with the S4 for added security...you arent really going to be able to push the car hard enough to have understeer issues on the road.

+1
I'm not sure about the system in the b8 S4, but on the previous models there was a mechanical diff only in the center, with the side-to-side distribution of power/torque in the front and rear was done by EDL, electronic diff lock. xDrive has open diffs in the front and rear too, with the computer distributing power. Audi's torsen and 50/50 split should have a slight edge in the snow, although I'm not sure if that's what the new S4 has. Basically, I'd put my money on Audi is you're trying to get out of a snowbank, but I doubt you'd really notice a big difference otherwise.

Generally sparking,

Thanks for the input. Not sure if those qualities are worth ?30000 more tho.
I have test driven an Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro, but no chance to push it hard enough to notice any understeer.
It didnt feel like it would understeer like my current crap A4 tho (FWD), which understeers like a dog in addition to horrible torque steer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Not sure if those qualities are worth ?30000 more tho.
I have test driven an Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro, but no chance to push it hard enough to notice any understeer.
It didnt feel like it would understeer like my current crap A4 tho (FWD), which understeers like a dog in addition to horrible torque steer.

Yeah, I guess thats just your personal choice then;)
My A4 doesnt really understeer, and it dosent even have the new quattro torque split of 40:60 like in the new S4, so I would imagine that it should be fine in street driving even with the added power.

Honestly, both are good choices and both should have similar performance numbers. Test drive both and see which one you like more is the best thing to do.

I have no experience of the Audi, but was at the 'Ring in 2006 when BMW were testing the 335 coupe. It looked very composed, it was ridiculously quick, and it was hot-lapping constantly for about 5/6 laps with no apparent issues whatsoever. Not sure if that helps at all, but it was nostalgic if nothing else.

That proved my theory.
Thats pure madness.
I pity you.

WHAT?!

THIS IS MADNESS.

Be aware that a 335i will drink petrol as well, my old man has a 335i sedan and it loves drinking the stuff