Thinking of getting 13" MBP

Apple hasn't put discrete graphics in their small laptops since the G4.

What Dr_Grip said. Aesthetics is really not matched in the PC world sadly. The Thinkpads look like complete and utter crap also they don't tend to put discrete graphics into their 13" laptops but it seems like Apple might not be (according to latest rumors) doing that either.

I really hate the thinkpad designs, first, why are they still square? Nothing is formatted for square screens anymore, what if I want to watch a movie on it? Then the touch pads are so stupid. I just googled to find out why there are so many damn buttons on the thing as I tried a floor model and couldn't get them to work, and all I could find was "thinkpad touchpad problems" and "how to disable touchpad on thinkbook" so I will just say they do not have a touchpad if all the top google searches are about it not working or how to turn it off because it sucks. If I buy a LAPTOP I expect it to work in my lap, if it doesn't I will buy a cheaper better desktop.

Wow that sounds great, just wish it ran Windows better (according to your reports here). What are the best alternatives that match Apple build quality and aesthetics (and also have good battery life) for Windows-based laptops?

Sony VAIO's. Don't (and I mean NEVER) solely buy a Mac if you only intend to run Windows on it.

Thinkpads have very good build quality but if you ask me they look like sh*t.

Last edited:
Apple hasn't put discrete graphics in their small laptops since the G4.

Well ok its not a legit discrete card but the current gen runs nVidia for the GFX next one is rumored to be using the i5 GFX card.
Don't (and I mean NEVER) solely buy a Mac if you only intend to run Windows on it.
Yeah I'm with him on that, Windows compatibility is kind of like "oh we can do it" type of a scenario on those machines.

Yeah I will have issues buying another MBP in a few years if the total lockout of the OS rumors end up coming true, paying $2,500 for a computer that installing probably linux will make the useful take to the store tech support gone because the "geniuses" apparently have never used something not made by apple before.

Also I think the reason think pads have good build quality is because they haven't updated the design since 1992 when they started making them, and things were built quite well in 1992! :lol:

I really hate the thinkpad designs, first, why are they still square? Nothing is formatted for square screens anymore, what if I want to watch a movie on it? Then the touch pads are so stupid. I just googled to find out why there are so many damn buttons on the thing as I tried a floor model and couldn't get them to work, and all I could find was "thinkpad touchpad problems" and "how to disable touchpad on thinkbook" so I will just say they do not have a touchpad if all the top google searches are about it not working or how to turn it off because it sucks. If I buy a LAPTOP I expect it to work in my lap, if it doesn't I will buy a cheaper better desktop.

I have to disagree. I quite like the dual nipple/tochpad UltraNav. The top three buttons are meant to be used with the nipple control unit between the G, H and B keys and the lower ones with the touchpad.

And if you just want to use the touchpad, you can simply turn off the top three buttons and the nipple. It's unchecking one checkbox in control panel, not exactely rocket science. Both me and my girlfriends right now are happily typing away with our ThinkPads on our laps (full disclosure: Hers is an X200 which does not have an UltraNav, but just the nipple).

Apart from this, what do you mean with "why are they still square"? Most ThinkPads have widescreen displays just like a MBP.

The "square" design, which i am quite fond of, is a trademark of the ThinkPads as recognizable and valuable as the name itself. Changing the look would be commercial suicide. Imagine Apple continuing with the Pismo design (which they should have, anyways) and then suddenly changing it. Would not have worked.

Last edited:
Well, when your laptops are most famous for something that makes them look decidedly old-fashioned.. Maybe it's time to move on ;)

Personally I'm waiting for someone to make a laptop with a buckling spring keyboard. :p

Click clack click clack click clack click clack click clack

Take that fellow library patrons!

Well, when your laptops are most famous for something that makes them look decidedly old-fashioned.. Maybe it's time to move on ;)

What you call old-fashioned, i call "classic" - it's like pre-Callum Jaguars.

Or lazy. Thinkpads obviously are done by the same people who update 911s. :p
Also like 911s, if you don't like them you never will and there is no point buying one if you don't like weird choices like a rear engine when everyone else is mid engined (or a stupid nipple joystick instead of a touchpad)

I dunno, my new Sony Vaio Z is pretty damn slick...
Obviously its fairly subjective but I have yet to see any PC manufacturer pull of a design as simple and elegant as MacBook. Also MBs manage to not look dated, I thought my XPS was very nice looking when I got it but now it just looks kind of old. My g/f's MB that I got her a bit after I got the Dell still looks modern (not just because Apple hasn't changed the look much).
or a stupid nipple joystick instead of a touchpad
I don't think I have ever seen one w/o a touchpad (well obviously I don't mean modern ones).

You need to understand the target market for the ThinkPad. They are generally aimed at business users and those are the guys who got used to using the nipple instead of a touchpad. In fact Dell's Latitude series (their business line) has that same nipple as well.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen one w/o a touchpad (well obviously I don't mean modern ones).
full disclosure: Hers is an X200 which does not have an UltraNav, but just the nipple

You need to understand the target market for the ThinkPad. They are generally aimed at business users and those are the guys who got used to using the nipple instead of a touchpad. In fact Dell's Latitude series (their business line) has that same nipple as well.
I just find it weird idk. I couldn't imagine using that for everyday use.

I just find it weird idk. I couldn't imagine using that for everyday use.

I don't like it either, but I'm sure you'd get used to it eventually. My work laptop has one (Latitude) but it also has a 1024 x 768 screen, to give an idea of the age.... needless to say it's plugged into keyboard, mouse, and monitor at all times.

The point is more that you don't have to use it at all :)

Except with small models like my gf's. But she likes it. Fun fact: Most female users i know don't call it a "nipple" but a "clitoral control device".

The point is more that you don't have to use it at all :)

Except with small models like my gf's.

Which I'm guessing is the cheapest version? That is like buying a miata when you don't want a convertible, you can pay extra for a hardtop to avoid the convertible issues but you are paying extra to have something with a feature that is included in the price that you will never use. I just find that really really annoying, especially if they stick them on the better built laptops of other brands too because then you don't have the option against it.