Thinking of getting 13" MBP

Well, I'm pretty sure the issue is mainly thickness wise, the MacBook Airs are really thin and I don't think the FireWire 800 port would fit, same thing for the Ethernet jack. It's form over function, but that's mainly what's selling this machine anyway ;-)

They figured that one out in the 90s :p

s_p_13940_1__96290_zoom.jpg

Oh man, that brings back some memories! My dad actually had that very card on his ThinkPad in the 90s, before they figured out they could just make a double-thick PC Card with a normal plug since nobody would ever need two of those slots on their laptops.

On the MacBook front, I'm glad I sold my 2010 13" last week. The C2D was just too slow, the machine felt slower than my 3-year old desktop which is also a C2D with a slightly higher clock speed compared to the MBP.

And they were shit. It didn't take much to break them.

Oh man, that brings back some memories! My dad actually had that very card on his ThinkPad in the 90s, before they figured out they could just make a double-thick PC Card with a normal plug since nobody would ever need two of those slots on their laptops.

On the MacBook front, I'm glad I sold my 2010 13" last week. The C2D was just too slow, the machine felt slower than my 3-year old desktop which is also a C2D with a slightly higher clock speed compared to the MBP.

What do you use it for? I'm still using my 2006 Macbook C2D 2GHz.

What do you use it for? I'm still using my 2006 Macbook C2D 2GHz.

Well I sold it, but I used it for casual home use... web browsing, photo editing, multimedia, the occasional video game.

It's not that it failed at any of those tasks, it just felt sluggish most of the time.

Well, a USB 3.0 adapter would be a step forward, if the Mac had such a port
Current MBP has USB 3.0 AFAIK.

EDIT: Wrong about USB 3.0 it's still using 2.0... That is somewhat surprising.
Someone said that if the Thunderbolt interface is 'electric' the range of the cable you can use is.. 3 metres. However if it's 'optical' it could be a fair bit better.
That was Intel :) Current implementation is fully copper it's supposed to go dual in the next few iterations. It's mainly meant for external HDDs and displays and such you don't really need much more than 3 meters :)
Well, I'm pretty sure the issue is mainly thickness wise, the MacBook Airs are really thin and I don't think the FireWire 800 port would fit, same thing for the Ethernet jack. It's form over function, but that's mainly what's selling this machine anyway
I'd kind of have to disagree, I didn't really understand the reason behind it at first but now I kinda came around. It's a very thin laptop with a decent screen size (the 13") that weighs very little. It's pretty good for someone who has to carry it around quite a bit.

As far as ether goes, its not really something that gets much use outside of business laptops these days. With 11n being as fast as it is there is little reason to use wired connection outside of large file transfers, which is not really something that is done with the likes of MBA as it has comparatively small drive.

Last edited:
Some people are buying it because it is a small capable little laptop that they can carry around, but most of the ones I sold were to people that just want a sexy laptop ;-)
I'd buy a 13" Core i7 MacBook Air with Thunderbolt and some sort of Gigabit Ethernet option in a heartbeat, that'd be an awesome machine.

Wait, they actually sell non-low end laptops that don't have gigabit ethernet ports still?

Wait, they actually sell non-low end laptops that don't have gigabit ethernet ports still?

The MacBook Pro has it, the MacBook Air which is the super thin and light version is the one without an ethernet port.

Some people are buying it because it is a small capable little laptop that they can carry around, but most of the ones I sold were to people that just want a sexy laptop ;-)
I'd buy a 13" Core i7 MacBook Air with Thunderbolt and some sort of Gigabit Ethernet option in a heartbeat, that'd be an awesome machine.

It would melt your lap :p

I'm waiting to see some more reviews but so far it seems that I will be going for a 13" MBP with an SSD :)

I'm ok with having my lap if that means blazing performance, I can withstand pain in order to compile in a few less seconds :burnrubber:

13" MBP with SSD seems like a winning combination, would you go for the Core i5 or Core i7?
The Core i7 seems to have awesome performances from what I can tell:

http://barefeats.com/mbpp34.html

I'm ok with having my lap if that means blazing performance, I can withstand pain in order to compile in a few less seconds :burnrubber:

13" MBP with SSD seems like a winning combination, would you go for the Core i5 or Core i7?
The Core i7 seems to have awesome performances from what I can tell:

http://barefeats.com/mbpp34.html
i7 is pretty damn fast but I'm going with the i5, don't really need that much juice out of the CPU, not really worth the price premium. Thanks for the link it seems that GPU performance is on par with previous year's GeForce model.
Nor bluray.
Didn't even look for that :) (never really use optical)

Last edited:
My initial thought was the same - USB 3.0 is the same as USB 2.0 functionally, it's just faster (as far as end users are concerned). So it doesn't make sense not to include it. Bluray on the other hand is a marketing decision, Apple wants to move away from optical media.

But then, that doesn't really work, under that logic. Functionally, a Bluray disc is exactly the same as a DVD, only with more capacity....

Well, the Bluray format is supported in Mac OS X, you can read them and write on them through Toast. You just can't read any of the commercial movies and they won't integrate them in any machine, even as an option.

My initial thought was the same - USB 3.0 is the same as USB 2.0 functionally, it's just faster (as far as end users are concerned). So it doesn't make sense not to include it. Bluray on the other hand is a marketing decision, Apple wants to move away from optical media.

But then, that doesn't really work, under that logic. Functionally, a Bluray disc is exactly the same as a DVD, only with more capacity....
I think USB 3.0 has something to do with the Thunderbolt port. Intel is really interested in pushing it as a standard and is not really putting much support behind USB 3.0. Apple got Thunderbolt (dumbass name really) a year, by some accounts, before any other OEMs and there has been equipment already announced that uses it as a standard so it might be a marketing move as well.

Blu-ray makes some sense in that standard DVDs are 480p, while iTunes sells things in 720p (do they have 1080 content?) so if you are looking at a movie on a DVD vs iTunes there is a clear reason to go for the iTunes one.

I'm not sure if they have 1080p content as their flagship device for that (Apple TV), only supports 720p.

I think USB 3.0 has something to do with the Thunderbolt port. Intel is really interested in pushing it as a standard and is not really putting much support behind USB 3.0. Apple got Thunderbolt (dumbass name really) a year, by some accounts, before any other OEMs and there has been equipment already announced that uses it as a standard so it might be a marketing move as well.

Blu-ray makes some sense in that standard DVDs are 480p, while iTunes sells things in 720p (do they have 1080 content?) so if you are looking at a movie on a DVD vs iTunes there is a clear reason to go for the iTunes one.

I haven't even heard of Thunderbolt until this thread. I'd bet money that it's going to be Firewire all over again.