Thinking of getting 13" MBP

The 15" is really the way to go and has been since Apple launched it's new "Macbook Pro" line-up. In fact I'd take an air over a 13" macbook "pro"

Well if you don't care about any of the specs outside of the HDD you are better off with the lower end 15 as it would only be $1800 with the 7200rpm drive. I was just pricing out a lower end 15" with a 7200rpm drive and matte screen and its still less money than the higher end one. That video memory is really only going to make a difference in gaming otherwise you might be better off saving some money. I kinda splurged because I'm not likely to change it in the next 3-4 years as my demands outside of SC2 and Diablo 3 are fairly low :)

That's a good point, actually I do all my gaming on xbox, so I could spec out the lower end model with matte screen and 7200 HDD and still be below the price of the higher end one. One thing that has me leaning towards the higher end 15 is that I should still be eligible for a student discount, which brings the price to $1700 and $2000 for the lower/higher end 15, and closes the price gap by a handy $100. And you have to shell out another $90 for the 7200 HDD upgrade at the lower end model, while it's free at the higher end. This would make the better CPU/graphics upgrade worth "only" $210 :).

What capacity hard drive?

The 7200rpm HDD I meant is 500GB, the higher end MBP gets a 750GB 5400rpm HDD as standard.

Last edited:
Some people are buying it because it is a small capable little laptop that they can carry around, but most of the ones I sold were to people that just want a sexy laptop ;-)
Yes, and yes... That's why I went for the 13" MBA... :D

The main reason I went for a 13" MBP a few months ago (back in June) rather than the 15" was size. I was tired of my 15.4" 4-year-old Dell laptop (it was absolutely terrible -- it went through three batteries and four AC adapters), and I find the 13" is the perfect size for me. Sometimes I'll use my mom's 17" Toshiba laptop when I'm at home and don't feel like going to grab mine just so I can look at something real quick ... and it's absolutely massive compared to my MBP. :p I like that my laptop is durable, small, and light.

The 15" is really the way to go and has been since Apple launched it's new "Macbook Pro" line-up. In fact I'd take an air over a 13" macbook "pro"

Sadly that is mostly true. I would have preferred the 13 for the size difference but there is just not enough power to do much interesting stuff. I feel like the 13" is mostly aimed at the internet light computing crowd in which case a regular MB or an MBA would be enough.
That's a good point, actually I do all my gaming on xbox, so I could spec out the lower end model with matte screen and 7200 HDD and still be below the price of the higher end one. One thing that has me leaning towards the higher end 15 is that I should still be eligible for a student discount, which brings the price to $1700 and $2000 for the lower/higher end 15, and closes the price gap by a handy $100. And you have to shell out another $90 for the 7200 HDD upgrade at the lower end model, while it's free at the higher end. This would make the better CPU/graphics upgrade worth "only" $210
Tbh I don't think that the CPU is worth the premium the difference in performance between the 2.0 and 2.2 model is not going be very significant outside of very CPU intensive tasks. The GPU on the other hand is quite different having 4x the RAM of the lower end one. $210 is a fairly low difference though so I can see it being VERY enticing :)

There is a lot of things you can do on a laptop other than gaming, in fact a laptop with a good cpu is useful for more people than a lower class cpu than a gpu I would think.

If you're getting a Mac, then you're obviously not a gamer. :p

Why is that? Steam is on OS X now, and you've been able to run Windows on Macs for years.

The only drawback I see is Apple's laptops don't really have that many keys on the keyboards.

There is a lot of things you can do on a laptop other than gaming, in fact a laptop with a good cpu is useful for more people than a lower class cpu than a gpu I would think.

This. Gamers seem to underestimate how many people use their laptops to, you know, actually... work. A friend of mine is a Plone core developer. She does not need fancy graphics, she needs raw power to get compile times to a minimum (as she travels so much one might call her homeless a desktop is not an option).

I can't believe people are still making that dumb comment.

Games run brilliantly these days on the mac. Plus, as Shawn said, Steam is on Mac now.

And besides, you can run Windows natively with Bootcamp and when you think you have access to AMD 6750M in the latest Macbook Pros, you're getting the best of both worlds.

You have your Mac side when you don't want viruses and other headaches, and you have your Windows side when you want to game. Simple.

I've never had a virus on Windows, unless you count the time Norton Antivirus nuked itself.

This. Gamers seem to underestimate how many people use their laptops to, you know, actually... work. A friend of mine is a Plone core developer. She does not need fancy graphics, she needs raw power to get compile times to a minimum (as she travels so much one might call her homeless a desktop is not an option).

I'm not much of a gamer, I just want to play SC2!!!!! However I think you misunderstood what I was saying. A difference between a Quad Core i7 2.0 and 2.2 would not be very significant and not something that most people would really notice. For those who do CPU intensive tasks an MBP would not be a very good choice because there are other laptops out there that get 3.6 i7s and that would make much more of a difference (the new HP ones come to mind)
If you're getting a Mac, then you're obviously not a gamer.
Two words: boot camp.

More words: WoW, SC2, Diablo 3, Steam all run native on OS X.
Snow Leopard has a built in A/V :p
In all honesty though if you don't want to be affected by malware go to Linux.

Last edited:
IT IS HERE!!!!!! Posting from it right now SC2 looks GORGEOUS. Safari still blows :p