This guy wants to chop down the roof of a WRX...

This guy with his "improved" WRX idea is completely insane. A) there is absolutely no advantage to chopping off a roof; B) fitting "brake cooling ducts" instead of fog lights will be near impossible, and thats being optimistic; and C) He makes it looks like crap and will cost more than a much better car.

My friend had/has all of those commercials on his computer. Edible underwear inventor guy is my favorite. :lol:

MPower said:
This guy with his "improved" WRX idea is completely insane. A) there is absolutely no advantage to chopping off a roof; B) fitting "brake cooling ducts" instead of fog lights will be near impossible, and thats being optimistic; and C) He makes it looks like crap and will cost more than a much better car.
That would be me. :D
A) There is an aerodynamic advantage to a lowered roofline. And it looks cool as hell. :twisted:
B) Quite a few people have already done this conversion in the US with custom work and there are several aftermarket JDM kits available.
C) Looks are completely subjective and I respect right to your own opinion however much I disagree.
As for costing "more than a better car," If I were to make an STi look like that, I would do it to a wrecked one that way chopping the roof would be a relatively small project as part of repairing the car. Purely cosmetic; Wrecked STi + Bodywork = Less than new STi.

Insane? Maybe.
Stupid? No.
:)

PowerByBrower said:
MPower said:
That would be me. :D
A) There is an aerodynamic advantage to a lowered roofline. And it looks cool as hell. :twisted:
B) Quite a few people have already done this conversion in the US with custom work and there are several aftermarket JDM kits available.
C) Looks are completely subjective and I respect right to your own opinion however much I disagree.
As for costing "more than a better car," If I were to make an STi look like that, I would do it to a wrecked one that way chopping the roof would be a relatively small project as part of repairing the car. Purely cosmetic; Wrecked STi + Bodywork = Less than new STi.

Insane? Maybe.
Stupid? No.
:)
Insane? Yes
Stupid? 50/50 split on this one

The aerodynamic advantage is so small that it hardly can be considered an advantage. The real part of the car that hurts aerodynamics is the front nose and the wind-shield. And you are lowering the windsheild, but by the 3 inches... you arent going to save much. The brakes ducts are a great idea. I like that part because I think that the fog lights on a WRX look odd and if the parts are available: go for it! Looks are subjective, but if you are modifying a car, you goal is to make it look better and by creating loads of controversy on the effect his modifications have... I cant help but think he is making a mistake with the whole roof thing.

PBB, if you want to end an argument with MPower you can, at any time just say

hey! the Mazda 3 is a girly car!

and you're off to another argument :lol: :wink:

MPower said:
Renesis said:
PBB, if you want to end an argument with MPower you can, at any time just say

hey! the Mazda 3 is a girly car!

and you're off to another argument :lol: :wink:
I wish I was a moderator right now... that post should never, never, never be uttered again! :twisted:
*cough*
Road and Track Magazine said:
The face is aggressive yet elegant, highlighted by Mazda's signature pentagonal grille and large canted headlights, while its profile, though a bit boxy, looks stylish and active, thanks to an aggressive rear-end design. All 3s models come with the Sports Appearance Package. This includes a body-colored grille, side skirts, a subtle spoiler on the roof and flashy 17-in. wheels.

"The rear three-quarter view represents the uniqueness of this vehicle. It expresses stability and dynamism with the aggressive shape of the fender and the rear-end form.
*cough*

^ I don't know what's funnier... bringing up this topic again, or you actually valuing the opinion of Road and Track! :lol:

Anyways, back to the original topic....

:p

MPower said:
... I cant help but think he is making a mistake with the whole roof thing.

Do you not realize that PowerByBrower (henceforth known as PBB - Ren's idea :p) is the "he" you're referring to? PBB is the guy that came up with the idea. So replace "he" with "you're"

well the guys on Dieselstation shorten his name like that and (I hope he doesn't mind) since I'm lazy I'm doing it aswell :oops: :lol:

SiR_dude said:
MPower said:
... I cant help but think he is making a mistake with the whole roof thing.

Do you not realize that PowerByBrower (henceforth known as PBB - Ren's idea :p) is the "he" you're referring to? PBB is the guy that came up with the idea. So replace "he" with "you're"
I realised it after I posted it... Regardless, I dont like the idea.

PBB suits me just fine. :D

And MPower, please refer to my original post:

The chances that the STi I buy will have it's roof chopped are <5%. Those photoshops were just a styling exercise just as car companies make drawings of hundreds of varying designs.

It's truly amzing how bad people can get their panties in a bundle over digital photo manipulation. :lol:

Now about the new Mazda 3, I haven't seen a modded one yet. Most chicks don't mod cars. Draw your own conclusions. :wink:

Well, I understand the interest... but from your later posts (pages 2-3), you seemed very serious in attempting this (at least that was the impression that I got).

But, in terms of looks it doesnt improve it too much (except for the brake cooling ducts which help). But, the risk-to-reward ratio is so low that performing such a customization seems somewhat pointless.

And if you want to insult myself and my car... do it. But be aware that it is an incrediably class-less thing to do. In my opinion, it is just plain rude. Renesis and others joke about it but I dont expect to go father than that. Keep it that way.

No, not very serious at all.

Again, looks are completely subjective. :roll:

I was joking also, I really like the styling of the new Mazda's, especially the 6. :D
But if I really did hurt your feelings.... :roll: