Autoblog: This is the 2012 BMW 6 Series Coupe

In essence, yes. Torque depends largely on displacement (ignoring forced induction). Large engines generally do not rev happily, while small engines generally love to shriek. See TG's lorry test, double-digit litre engines revving from 1200 to 1500rpm... but delivering massive torque and thus massive power in this narrow band Disclaimer: TG is not a reliable source, so the exact numbers may be false. The principle remains sounds.
Sorry I meant to specify SMALL high revving motors as there are large displacement high revving motors around (like the M3/RS4 V8s)

Rotaries have low torque because they don't have a very good moment on the crankshaft. A piston engine, at certain points in the revolution has a perfect, 90* perpendicular angle on the crankshaft, which equals tons of leverage. In a rotary it's always a deflected angle because of the shape of the rotor.
Rotaries are also generally low displacement (yes I know displacement is different for them and there have been many arguments over it). Also I was mainly trying to convey that a car with high hp relative to its tq is not a bad car :D

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to specify SMALL high revving motors as there are large displacement high revving motors around (like the M3/RS4 V8s)

Those aren't really large (compared to a truck) nor really high revving (compared to a bike or F1 car) :tease:

Also, I was agreeing with you in case you missed that.

Very few engines produce their peak power at red line though that I believe is the case with the current F1 cars that are limited to 19000 RPM(?) by rules. Not sure how it was in the 90's when the RPM wasn't limited by rules.

That largely depends on how steep the torque curve is going down from max torque to redline. In F1 the torque curve is very flat with no steep decline, as a result the power keeps going up until the nanny comes.
A Skoda 1.8TSI (obviously :p I love how Skoda publishes all their power/torque graphs readily accessible...) has its torque decline in the correct angle to match the rev increase, as a result the peak power is available over a huge rev range.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/03/20/M_motor.jpg

<Skoda ad>The perfect engine for everything. Peak torque from low rpm for lazy shifting and fuel economy, peak power from medium rpm for constantly high acceleration when revving it.</Skoda ad>

Last edited: