This needs to be on the show.

It's a beautiful view but I wouldn't want to drive across there. I'd be distracted by the nice view and crash through the barrier in to the sea... even if I didn't I would feel too guilty taking a car through sea water like that, it's likely to rust to nothing before you get home.

Would make a good addition to a cheap car challenge though. minus a million points for drowning.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful view but I wouldn't want to drive across there. I'd be distracted by the nice view and crash through the barrier in to the sea... even if I didn't I would feel too guilty taking a car through sea water like that, it's likely to rust to nothing before you get home.

Would make a good addition to a cheap car challenge though. minus a million points for drowning.

In convertibles! :lol:

Good find! This is what I meant about making good posts, SpaceX. Shame the rep system is currently offline because I'd be giving you a big, fat chunk of green blobby love right now otherwise.

Is that the Norwegian bridge to Jesus Fucking Christ, I'm Going To Die? That thing scares me just from photos.

Is that the Norwegian bridge to Jesus Fucking Christ, I'm Going To Die? That thing scares me just from photos.

They live in Norwayistan. They need an occasional reminder they are still alive. Their national dish is herring FFS, they have to have something to get their hearts pumping. A few hydro-electric powerstations, A-ha and a coastline designed on Magrathea simply aren't enough!

They live in Norwayistan. They need an occasional reminder they are still alive. Their national dish is herring FFS, they have to have something to get their hearts pumping. A few hydro-electric powerstations, A-ha and a coastline designed on Magrathea simply aren't enough!

Well, they have cheap electricity, Morten Harket's new album is really good (seriously, it is really good; "Scared Of Heights" sounds exactly like a lost a-ha track), and reports are that Slartibartfast disowned Norway after they finished last at Eurovision. A bridge that you're terrified to drive over can be considered overkill.

Goodness! Though I'm surprised the designer didn't plan the lower sections to be 20 or 30 feet higher; did he only visit the place in calm weather?

I'll be there in a few days, in a convertible...hoping for better weather.

Goodness! Though I'm surprised the designer didn't plan the lower sections to be 20 or 30 feet higher; did he only visit the place in calm weather?

The point was, as far as I know, to make a road from A to B without disrupting the landscape too much and not hinder the boat traffic too much (hence (sp?) the tall bridge). The result: One of the most beautiful, impressive roads in the world, albeit a bit scary at times. Still, a huge improvement from having to use a boat to get to work in the morning. :)

Regarding the salt water: Phah, us Norwegians get more salt than that on our cars on a normal winter days drive ... :rolleyes: We drive around in a salty slush on most roads from December to March. (That doesn't mean we like it, though!)

(Edited for typo.)

Last edited:
Well, they have cheap electricity, Morten Harket's new album is really good (seriously, it is really good; "Scared Of Heights" sounds exactly like a lost a-ha track), and reports are that Slartibartfast disowned Norway after they finished last at Eurovision. A bridge that you're terrified to drive over can be considered overkill.

Been meaning to check that album out. Heard one of the tracks on the radio a few times of late and it's really growing on me.

As for old Slarti, he'd far rather be happy than right any day.

Maybe a race trough the Scandinavians? May and Hamster with public transport and Jeremy with good Swedish supercar?

Yeah, you'd need more than this bit of road for the show since the Atlanterhavsveien (Atlantic Ocean Road) part of the route is only 5 miles long!

Considering how hard a time Richard & James had getting to that "unnamed small town where no one would speak English to them", to Oslo, Jeremy might have an even larger unfair advantage than usual... ;)

Alfa Romeo shot some commercials there and on some other roads, as part of their "Certe strade meritano un'Alfa Romeo" (Some roads deserve an Alfa Romeo) campaign.

One of the 30 Second cuts aired on TV:

Longer version:

Backstage from the norwegian shooting:

Last edited:
the original post: is that the atlantic road? also, they should go through this 15 mile road tunnel in norway. its crazy, theres a road on top of the mountain its under. its one of the least lit road tunnels in the world too! long, dark xD

You remember what May said to jez and hamster on the death road...I would say the same to those I was driving with! I hate bridges with a passion, and that open curb that allows water down (clearly necessary) allows for an unobstructed view of the sharp rocks that will shred your skin just after the bridge fails...uhhh can't do it..,.

But the view is Spectacular...reminds me of the central Cali Monterey coast, the most beautiful coast.....in The world.

Yeah they really need to get some Morris Marinas and drive that road at reckless speeds during high tide.. ;)

James needs to do a road test and drive through here.