This Oliver is not waterproof

ldhenson

Happy Holidays everyone! Here's a festive paper snowflake featuring OlivAAAAHHHH

oliverflake2600.jpg

Cut in the time-honored manner with scissors through folded paper. Real size about 21.5cm across (8.5" to my fellow Americans).

Please do not try to ford any rivers with him.

Wow, great !!! :)

Well done yet again! :D

Very nice! And it's 8.5" to a lot of Brits as well

Aw thanks everyone! Just my little annual contribution to the forums holiday spirit :cheers:

Very nice! And it's 8.5" to a lot of Brits as well

Is it? I've never been entirely clear on what length/distance units you use in the UK.

Great job!

The thing I've always wondered about that episode is why Hammond felt the need to go the long way with Oliver instead of just cutting across the shallower bit. One would think a bit of offroading > potential sinking. Oh well, it made for good television.

Aw thanks everyone! Just my little annual contribution to the forums holiday spirit :cheers:

Is it? I've never been entirely clear on what length/distance units you use in the UK.

To clue y'all up a little it goes like this: Length - if accuracy is required metres and millimetres. Never centimetres! If purely an estimation feet and inches (no halves). Height feet and inches, tho metric is encroaching on that one. Speed - Miles per hour (although I've always thought that m/s is a much more useful measure). Weight - General is kilograms, personal is in stone (1st = 14lbs). We have never used pounds for heavy weights like the US, we have a system that keeps most numbers below 100 (pound, stone, hundredweight, tons etc) Temperature - Centigrade unless unusually hot summer [temps 90 in the shade stuff]. Area - colloquially acres, officially hectares (1ht = 2.5 ac). Volume - litres, which has happily removed the ambiguity between UK and US gallons. We still use the pint (=568cc) for drinking measures. CC is banned by the way it has to be ml for some reason. FYI the US quart is as near a litre as makes no difference.

Last edited:
Speed - Miles per hour (although I've always thought that m/s is a much more useful measure).

Mph (or km/h, for that matter) is a great unit for every day use. Most distances we think about are in the miles (kilometres), and every day stuff rarely happens in seconds. Knowing that you walk at 1.1 to 1.4m/s is nice, but calculating how far you can get in 15 minutes is a bit tedious. Taking 3mph (or 4-5km/h) instead makes life a lot easier. Same reason why we use Celsius instead of Kelvin in every day life. More user-friendly numbers.

Science and engineering is a different thing, obviously.

Mph (or km/h, for that matter) is a great unit for every day use. Most distances we think about are in the miles (kilometres), and every day stuff rarely happens in seconds. Knowing that you walk at 1.1 to 1.4m/s is nice, but calculating how far you can get in 15 minutes is a bit tedious. Taking 3mph (or 4-5km/h) instead makes life a lot easier. Same reason why we use Celsius instead of Kelvin in every day life. More user-friendly numbers.

Science and engineering is a different thing, obviously.

In a car on a road, knowing that the junction is 5secs away is more useful I feel. MPH -> m/s = 1:0.35 (from memory)

:no: one mile per hour is roughly 0.44 metre per second. You're probably confusing it with the conversion of m/s and km/h, that's 1m/s = 3.6km/s (exactly, not rounded).