Thougts on Focus ST 2006

BTM5

I'm thinking of buying a Ford Focus ST 2006, driven 38000 km which is nothing really

is there something I should check before buying it?
are there any problems with it?

It's a Ford.

I never understood why the people at both TG and FG claims it's good to drive.
It isnt.
The seat is too high up, the interior design makes it feel like you cant get your driving position properly, the gearstick is in the wrong position.
The ride isnt properly balanced between comfort and sporty.
Oh and it's probably gonna be a pile of rust in a couple of years :p
In fact the only thing sporty about it is the engine.

My friend got a Focus RS some months ago, and it is also rubbish.
How the hell are they making a sporty hatchback where you sit high up almost like a MPV ?

Last edited:
I will say you're more than a little biased a against Ford. ^

There aren't any major issues to look out for with the ST, I would suggest you go to www.focusfanatics.com they will be able to advise what to keep a look out for.

I'm thinking of buying a Ford Focus ST 2006, driven 38000 km which is nothing really

is there something I should check before buying it?
are there any problems with it?

go for it! it's a very nice car and there are many performance parts for it available in the uk ;)

It's a Ford.

It isnt.
The seat is too high up, the interior design makes it feel like you cant get your driving position properly, the gearstick is in the wrong position.
The ride isnt properly balanced between comfort and sporty.
Oh and it's probably gonna be a pile of rust in a couple of years :p
In fact the only thing sporty about it is the engine.

My friend got a Focus RS some months ago, and it is also rubbish.
How the hell are they making a sporty hatchback where you sit high up almost like a MPV ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It isnt.

It is good to drive. Until the moment you lift off the throttle and roll the car. :lol:

The common problem with the Focus ST is the lift off oversteer problem(quite obvious), I've seen quite a few okes manage to land their ST on the roof :lol: It's the boost lag that catches the drivers out. The boost kicks in mid corner with quite some punch, it will make the front tyres squeal, torque steer the steering wheel, and the car will understeer away from ther apex. This normally will scare the driver, and often enough, the immediate reaction of an inexperienced driver is to jump off the throttle and onto the brake pedal, then it's pretty much game over. The lift off oversteer will mostly put the car sideways off the road or send the car into a roll.

Last edited:
You can assume that an ST will been driven harshly so a check of the suspension, bushings etc may be in order. Don't know the equivalent of RAC/ADAC/Motorm?nnen in Norway but they do vehicle checks if you're unsure or lack the facilities needed. The ride is very firm and it's one of the noisiest (on the inside) cars you can find but that comes with the ST badge.

As for the Focus itself, it's got a few niggles like any car, most important is to check all the doors and door sills for rust. Very important because the Focus, even gen II, have had big problems with this even on cars as new as 2007. Ford added a plastic strip on the door sills running the entire lenght of the car to prevent rust but the strip is quickly chipped away by stones. Check all seals for water ingress, water in the boot is very common. Check for rattles like you would on any car. That's what I can think of on the top of my head.

Evo had a long-term ST which they got the Mountune kit for. It beats a Focus RS in in-gear acceleration.

Hi BTM5
I have a 06 ST. Don't belive the Walt Disney stories on this thread. It is a very good car.
You can find out alot of info about the Focus over at http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/forums.html
Kurthest you can adjust the seat height in a RS. You will have to get your tool box out however but that
is what the RS is all about.