Threads from a German car forum...

For someone from Hamburg, we're damn close to Bavaria - but I also would like to point out that there's not much apart form the distance that brings us close to Bavaria.

I have a friend in W?rzburg who would strongly object to being called a Bavarian ;)

Currently the African market for used cars is booming. So in recent years used cars - especially used diesel cars - are more and more bought by dealers who ship them off to Africa. And used Mercedes Diesels are particularly popular in Africa.

Those African dealers practically buy every car they can get their hands on, even scrap cars. These cars then get a second life in Africa where they are repaired and sold again on used car markets.

Would certainly inflate the resale value of diesels, I imagine.

If they'd be happy with petrol, there's loads of secondhand cars in Japan which are offloaded for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, our import laws mean most can't be imported here.

I always wonder where all the secondhand Jap cars go (other than to New Zealand). Even the Kei cars, which are kinda interesting.

I could imagine similar 'threads' here, though, maybe with local twists.

Skyline forum: I'm looking for my first car, and I have $15,000. Where can I get a cheap GT-R?

I love the MX-5 / Miata vs Touareg one!

My dad's partner had a Gen 1. MX-5 as the first car she had in Aus when she immigrated from the UK, and she's told me just how scary it was when trucks boxed her in and she was sitting at the same height as their wheels. Yikes!

You could substitute the Touareg with a Ford Territory here. I've lost count of the no. of times some (usually younger) mother with her kids is yakking on the phone and has nearly mowed me and everyone else down in her Territory at a roundabout.

Last edited:
Mothers in SUV's are a menace.

There is the particularly dangerous kind that holds the cellphone to the left ear with the right arm. When they have to brake, they completely lose their body coordination skills and kill anything in their way.

When you see them and think of the fact that they already breeded, you know that evolution currently takes a time-out...

Daewoo Forum: How, when, why...? Are we driving American muscle cars now? Huh?

Smart-Forum: How do I get rid of the trolley with the chain and the plastic chip in it?

Can you explain those?

Most of those were hilarious! :D

Daewoo Forum: How, when, why...? Are we driving American muscle cars now? Huh?
When Daewoos first arrived here in germany they were badged as Daewoos, but since 2004 you get the same cars badged as Chevrolets, and Chevrolet over here is one of the embodiments of "the muscle car". ;)
Smart-Forum: How do I get rid of the trolley with the chain and the plastic chip in it?
In german supermarkets on the shopping carts you have some lock-thingy with a chain and a slot where you can put 50-cent- or 1-euro-coins in so you have to get them back to the queue to get the coin out again (thus preventing the people to just let them stand where they parked since people are too lazy to put the cart back). You get promotional gifts in form of plastic chips from some companies which you put in your wallet and always have the ability to take a shopping cart, even if you don't have 50-cent- or 1-euro-coins.
The Smart is nicknamed as "shopping cart" so in that case someone has chained the real shopping cart to the Smart. ;)