Three Pedals or Two Pedals?

Three Pedals or Two Pedals?

• Total voters

sjwort

Knowing that the majority of finalgear members prefer manual, I am curious to see if the members who prefer automatic combined with those that prefer double-clutch smg type transmissions combined are higher than manual. My vote is for manual.

Strengthen your left leg and man up if you sit in traffic all day! And no; I don't care how good failmatics are these days, and DSGs etc still count as failmatics.

As much as I love driving stick, I would trade up to a dual clutch automatic. It use to be that manuals were faster, more efficient, and cheaper than automatics. But not anymore. These new dual clutch jobs are faster and more efficient. Granted, they're more expensive, but at least now you're actually getting your moneys worth. You paying more money for better fuel economy and better performance, as well as the added luxury of not having to dick around with a stick shift all the time.

Two pedals, two levers and a hand throttle, duh. :p :mrgreen:

I have to say the best two options, as they have been for more than 60 years now, are stil a conventional manual and a conventional, planetary automatic. The automated manuals and DSGs, and especially the CVTs are all terrible from my experience.

I said three, but I have no problem with DSGs.

I've driven a DSG car and it was great, INSANELY fast shifting and maintains acceleration very well but I'd rather row my own.

I like automatic, but as a car guy I'd pick Manual hands down If I had to take one and lose one.

Never experienced anything DSG related. Although CVT's are great in snowmobiles.

Not trying to derail the thread but It's painfuly obvious what my first motorcycle will be.

Not trying to derail the thread but It's painfuly obvious what my first motorcycle will be.

Don't do it. The 919 is scary fast and the 700 is the motorcycle equivalent of a yes-man. "So sir, you would like me to lean over until the engine scrapes, pushing the wheel of the ground and sending us both into a tree? Ok, you're the boss."

Anyways, back on topic, I much prefer a proper manual to an auto or automated manual. Three pedals for life.

I'm sure many secretly want to say 2, but will vote for 3 just 'because'. I voted 2, I use 2 every day, DSG > *. 3 is fine, but it all depends on context and use and type of traffic. Don't fool yourself by thinking you like changing gear 50x in 15mins with the kind of traffic some countries have.

Manual, I like to be in full control of the car I am driving. If I want to climb halfway up a hill in the wrong gear and stall I will damn it! :p
I've ridden in autos and I find them odd, especially ones in the era of cars I want, they have a mind of their own...

Still, I wouldn't object to an auto in some cars, a Bentley, Roller or Jag for instance, after having being in a '67 Rover 2000SC 3-speed auto I found that reasonable too If the car is a barge you aren't going to be tempted to drive fast or a relaxing luxo-mobile the automatic gearbox has its place.

My family has 4 cars, all of which are manual. What answer do you think I chose?

I prefer a stick, because I feel like I'm in more control of the vehicle. And previously, it was worth hunting one down in the used market because, for most vehicles, stick = greater performance & greater fuel efficiency (depending upon how you drive).

In the market for modern new cars though, I'd probably end up with an auto because they tend to be just as quick (if not quicker), AND get better fuel mileage. There's just no downside outside of the tactile driving enjoyment derived from rowing your own gears.

By the time I'm ready for my next vehicle, I doubt there'll even be any manuals available that aren't in specific sports cars (a-la MX-5), because I doubt anyone is concentrating on R&D for manuals in anything that's not a sports car. And frankly, considering how good the automatics are, I probably wont mind it in my daily runabout.