Unveiled: Three-wheel $6,800 car gears for 2015 US launch

I dislike saabkyle. I really, really dislike saabkyle. Honk the horn and play with the stereo again, motherfucker.
I find his videos boring too and generally don't watch - I was impressed with how much he has improved his overall flow and delivery - injecting some tone and actual driving impressions/reviewmanship into the videos is a long way from his earlier "just the facts and a interior tour" style.

I just wanted to see more of this car in detail.
He's a used car dealer, what do you expect?

When did that happen?
He isn't a used car dealer. He's a pharmacist. His parents own a used car dealer and he spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Yes I used to watch those earlier videos. Then he started doing higher end stuff in his older format and I got bored due to not having driving impressions/an opinion.

Last edited:
The videos I saw of his after he got married showed that he opened his own lot.

I want to see a picture of you with the hat you will eat. :D :p

But seriously... :D

This isn't me, but you get the idea. :p

F9419KGGMSXHDWJ.LARGE.jpg

Pleeease, keep a manual at least as an option and ship it to Europe, I'd still buy one.

And I still think the headlights should be on the fenders so they act as cornering lights as well.

Im happy that the car likely wont happen because if that's the hat you're going to eat im worried you would burn your face off when that hot melted nacho cheese pours over you.

So, 2015 is long gone, but it seems Elio is still on it: they completed their first E-Series testing vehicle and according to their website they have 54k reservations already.

I'm still hoping someone will bring that car to Europe. It would be quite a bit more expensive (I guess around 10k Euros), but still...

Yeah... but according to their website, it's also half as wide as a 4-wheeled vehicle... at over 70 inches wide, I find that hard to believe... a Hummer H1 was only 86 or so inches wide.

Come on, don't take everything literally, you know exactly what they mean by that, namely the passenger cell. Of course the whole vehicle isn't half as wide as a normal car since it has the two front wheels, but the passenger cell which is the main body creating wind resistance is indeed half as wide as a traditional car.

This is what I think of when someone says "half as wide":

39 inches, if you're ignoring a few of them it's half as wide as as the Elio...

Come on, don't take everything literally, you know exactly what they mean by that, namely the passenger cell. Of course the whole vehicle isn't half as wide as a normal car since it has the two front wheels, but the passenger cell which is the main body creating wind resistance is indeed half as wide as a traditional car.

It's also "half as wide" in the sense that the seating layout is one wide instead of two. I doubt they were implying an ability to lane split, since that's not legal everywhere in the US, IIRC, even for motorcycles.

Not lane splitting, but lane sharing can be a thing with a Tango much like groups of motorcycles do. No chance of that with an Elio :no:
Also car parks and garages, easy to put two Tangos in one head-on spot while the front wheels of the Elio would stop that outside of handicapped-width spaces.

Last edited:
Seems like they still haven't produced the 100 pre-production vehicles yet, there's still a long way to go until production.

Elio Motors? affordable three-wheeler was originally going to hit the market in 2014 and almost three years later, is still absent from the streets. Now we have a clear idea why.

In a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company founded in 2009 by Paul Elio revealed that as of September 30, 2016, it had just $101,317 in the bank and $123,212,431 in accumulated deficit. By comparison, it had $6,870,044 in cash as of December 31, 2015 and just a $2.325 million deficit, as reported by KTBS.

Elio Motors blames the skyrocketing deficit on an increase in accounts payable and interest payable as well as a decrease in assets held for sale and an increase in the fair value of derivative liability.

The filing also reveals that in the nine month period ending September 30, 2016, the company?s net loss sat at $34,787,000 million compared to the $13,873,656 it lost in the same time period in 2015.

The company unveiled its production-spec E1c three-wheeler in November last year. Targeting an MSRP of $7,300, the vehicle features a unibody frame and includes three airbags.

It is reported that over 62,000 customers have signed up for a three-wheeler Elio but unless the company gets its finances together, the venture could be one of the most high-profile automotive busts in recent memory.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/elio-motors-has-just-101000-in-cash-and.html

Womp womp. Vaporwares gonna vaporware.

Womp womp. Vaporwares gonna vaporware.

It also doesn't help that since you have to go through all the rigamarole to get a motorcycle license in order to operate an Elio in the US, you might as well buy one of the new motorcycles that have shown up as part of the quiet little affordable entry level and middleweight motorcycle renaissance. You get similar or perhaps even better gas mileage, way better performance, likely far cheaper insurance, better handling, lower operating costs, better parking options, nationwide dealer network support that isn't a joke, etc., etc. And they're often between half to three quarters the price.

Last edited:
Someone at work put a deposit down for one of these things.

It also doesn't help that since you have to go through all the rigamarole to get a motorcycle license in order to operate an Elio in the US, you might as well buy one of the new motorcycles that have shown up as part of the quiet little affordable entry level and middleweight motorcycle renaissance. You get similar or perhaps even better gas mileage, way better performance, likely far cheaper insurance, better handling, lower operating costs, better parking options, nationwide dealer network support that isn't a joke, etc., etc. And they're often between half to three quarters the price.

To be fair, that requirement is only for a few states: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/30/motorcycle-license-drive-elio-trike-helmet/

Not defending the thing, just throwing that out there - it'd be fucking stupid to advertise such a vehicle otherwise if most of the target market would have to learn how to ride a motorcycle in the first place - there's a reason why they'd want to drive a car despite motorcycles being competitively priced. "I have to learn to ride a motorcycle? fuck this noise, lemme fire up craigslist and continue to pour money into 1500 buck beaters"

Then again, they've created vaporware so they're pretty dumb as is....

Last edited: