Tictictic...

killpanda

wants to fondle your manboobs
I was wondering something the other day.

You know when you just drove your car and you standat its side after, you hear a small ticking noise (tictictic...), I've noticed it does it only on petrol powered cars, why is that ?

Depending on the car, it could be the pipes cooling, shrinking, and making noises.

My camaro does this sometimes.

Or it could be something rattling around inside the motor.

My Camry does this most of the time.

Crazyjeeper is right. Its the metal parts that were hot, and therefore expanded, cooling down and shrinking. I'm not entirely sure why it clicks and not creaks or something, but I know its because its the metal parts cooling down.

I thought about that too, but then why doesn't it do the same with a Diesel ? All the Diesels I've drove never did it.

my parents have a 530xd, and trust me, it ticks... ;)

edit: you should hear what the ringtaxi sounds like after it returns to the parking lot... it sounds like someone is making popcorn on the brakes or something, it?s all about the heat...

My Dads Diesel as well... If I drive it properly...

on a german autobahn you can probably make just about anything tick after you park it :mrgreen:

I actually love it when my car makes those little noises... it?s especially good if you really hammer it on a cold night and then stop for a pitstop at the highway gas station :D

:hmm:

Thanks for the answers :)

I don't drive often with the A/C on in my Fiesta (for obvious reasons ;-)), but I've never heard it on the parents C-Max (where A/C is always on) :-/

I guess I don't drive hard enough then :-D

The old petrol Focus ticked like crazy without driving all that hard after 60km and I'm surprised to not hear it after 3h of highway at "top speed" in my Fiesta ! :-D

Something is missing here :-D

Last edited:
on a german autobahn you can probably make just about anything tick after you park it :mrgreen:

Yep, but once on a 330i testdrive I braked the Mofo til almost death and it made squeaking noises for half an hour (while breaking)... Had to drive it back to the lot like a Grand Pa...

How come? Anybody can explain that?

Yep, but once on a 330i testdrive I braked the Mofo til almost death and it made squeaking noises for half an hour (while breaking)... Had to drive it back to the lot like a Grand Pa...

How come? Anybody can explain that?

it is possible under extremely hard braking to litterally "burn" the edges of the brake pads. My dad sometimes had this problem on Autobahns when he suddenly came around a corner and found everyone standing still...while was doing 200 kph+

It sort of burns a little layer off of the pads, and it makes squeaky noises. Regular use will wear the little layer off eventually.

Diesel cooling systems are more effective than petrol systems as diesels run hotter. Something to do with thermal conductivity

Diesel cooling systems are more effective than petrol systems as diesels run hotter. Something to do with thermal conductivity

Ah that could explain it then.

It reminds me of the turbodiesel Citroen ZX of a friend (200000km at the clock :-D), when he stop the engine you can hear the big fan that cool the engine running like crazy for a couple of minutes :-D