Time For My First Car! - Need Advice

Eh i know how the Versa is since my cousin has one - CVT is dreadful and as you pointed out, it just keeps it steady at "optimum" revs - just EH. My sister doesn't like the look of the Versa either so its not on the list.

Take a parent with you, dress nicely (ie, don't look like a slob) and they'll pretty much let you test drive whatever you want. I just test drove a 5.0l 6spd mustang yesterday.

Eh scratch that, they just let me and my sis test drive, guess it doesn't matter then.

Just took the Mazda3 Sport 2.3 out for a short test drive today. It feels quite good for a car this size. Decent throttle response and brakes aren't touchy but have a good firm feel to it. Overall, it's on the list.

Gonna figure out what else is on the market, i think i'll try the Jetta though insurance and maintenance would be :p. Probably the Altima (though it's size is a bit big for my sis). And the Scion tC along with maybe the Matrix.

Gonna figure out what else is on the market, i think i'll try the Jetta though insurance and maintenance would be :p. Probably the Altima (though it's size is a bit big for my sis). And the Scion tC along with maybe the Matrix.

The 2011 Jetta is woefully disappointing, although if you never drove the old car (or even sat in one for any appreciable amount of time) then you might like it. Sales are pretty good. If you can swing the wagon (iirc it's the Golf Wagon in Canada) then get that. Great interior in that one.

If your looking at midsizers...why not Kizashi?

Last edited:
with a slushbox? AVOID

Oh yeah, I forgot how dreadful the CVT was.

I'm with Blayde on this one. Frankly I'd avoid any of the sub-compact market if you absolutely have to get an auto. They will all be very unrewarding to drive.

Or you could always teach your sister how to drive stick!

This is better :p

Joining the Mazda3 advice. Over here in the holy landzors, last year one in every five new cars was a Mazda3, and 100% (and I do mean 100%) of the Mazdas which aren't Miatas, are automatics, so I probably know what I'm talking about :p

I drove several Mazda3, both current-gen and last-gen. I don't like the fact it has a 4-speed box (1.6 though, might be different with the 2.0/2.3), but it's a great car that's very light on its feet, a great joy to drive. It's also made properly, doesn't gulp fuel (again, in the 1.6), and won't depreciate like hell.

If you get the 2.0/2.6 here in Canada you get a 5spd auto. But I do agree, the 4spd auto is pretty dreadful. I've driven both and I quite liked the Mazda3 GT that I drove. Despite it's lack of clutch.

I can always wait for the SKYACTIV 2.0 Engine that produces almost as much power as the 2.5, and it's equipped with a 6spd Auto - also better fuel economy than the current 2.0. Just that would be the end of the year.

Haven't driven the 2.0 though since they just put us in the Sport GS which is equipped with the 2.5.

The sales seem to have quoted us the wholesale price (22,800 - listed on some site that shows wholesale price of vehicle) vs the MSRP (24,300) quite by accident, representing the wholesale as MSRP.

Last edited:
As Jeremy Clarkson already proved...

post-21233-1105699460.jpg

Best car for a teenager!

:lol: just kidding :lol:

Actualy, If I ever have a teenage son that makes it to driving age whithout me killing him for well, beeing a teenager something like that is EXACTLY what he will be driving.

Regardless of what they drive they will hit every bloody thing in sight anyway and atleast in this they will be somewhat protected :p

Mazda 3 is a girls car, don't do it... really.

IS300 or G35 gets my vote.

Some used cars i'm considering are:
Audi A4 (02-05) Possible high maintenance costs, be careful.
Honda Accord (03-06) Just adequate, nothing more.
Infiniti G35 (03-05) RWD, and cool.
Lexus IS300 (01-05) RWD, and cool.
Mazda3 (First gen) Girl's car.
Toyota Matrix (First gen) Girl's car.
Volkswagen Jetta (one before current one) Girl's car.

Some new cars i'm considering are (Might have missed some):
Honda Fit Girl's car.
Mazda3 Girl's car.
Nissan Altima Mom's car
Nissan Sentra Girl's car.
Scion tC Girl's car.
Toyota Corolla/Matrix Girl's car.
Volkswagen Jetta/Golf Girl's car.

-Robert

Everything which isn't a lowered Starion is considered a girl's car to you?

wFNlv.jpg

Mazda's main point in their cars is making them the most fun to drive as possible within the limits of practicality, fuel consumption and price. While they aren't making lowered Starions, I would definitely not call their cars girly. And neither would I attach that description to a Jetta or a tC, although I do agree with you over the Fit.
In any case, the man is getting a first car, I don't see why he *needs* a V6 executive car which pumps out >200hp through the rear wheels.

I just want a good first car thats good for my pleasure and my wallet. Whether its a girl's car or not, its really just a personal opinion. The 3 has that ridiculous :D that doesn't do much for me, however the 3 actually drives quite nice, not soft sprung but confident in corners :)

Concerned about reliability, seeing that Quiky ditched his after being fed up with it and premature rust problems with the 1st generation of Mazda 3s.

Still have to find time to try out some cars, though if i'm buying the Mazda, it won't be till the fall of this year or when the 0% financing comes back (0% promo is running till the end of this month). I could tell you it would either be a GT Sedan or GS Hatchback.

I'll still take the Jetta and perhaps the tC out for a spin. If i decide to also take the Sentra out for a test drive, it'll be the SE-R model given that theres employee pricing events such as now.

Actually seem to be leaning more to a new car given that i'd be more comfortable financing something new (and don't have to pay for the car outright, more time to gather those pennies i may need for a rainy day) while i know that there shouldn't be any mechanical problems or any maintenance required other than the twice-a-year change of oil.

Any other cars i should be looking at (given that it's practical)?

Last edited:
I think Quiky's 3 was a lemon, because I really never heard about those cars breaking down that badly before. And nor did I hear about any previous gens rusting, but it could be happening in cars that weren't made in the Japanese factory.

I think you should have a go with a Golf, seeing as you don't mind having a hatchback and you already consider a Jetta. Also, what about a Subaru Impreza? It handles well, and being a Subaru it will never break down.

I actually like the new Scion tC:

2011_scion_tc.jpg

I've never driven one, so I don't know if they're actually good cars, but they look nice and I'm sure they're reliable. They're somewhat sporty, too.

Whatever you get, remember that YOU WILL wreck your first car. If, somehow, you don't, you're living on borrowed time.

Alternatively:

2010_front.jpg

2010 Jetta TDi. 35 combined MPG, 45 MPG on the motorway, and REALLY good build quality. Get it with the DSG Auto and you can still shift when you drive it. For a diesel, it's quite peppy and torquey, and the DSG Auto shifts QUICKLY. I like it. My parents have one and I drive it occasionally.

Last edited:
Everything which isn't a lowered Starion is considered a girl's car to you?

wFNlv.jpg

LOL...

snoop-dogg-xzibit---bitch-please-uncut.jpg

Read my post again for the cars that aren't listed as girls cars.

As with anything, it is your opinion, pick something you like of course; however, you did ask for suggestions/opinions. All of the cars you listed are good looking, and definitely not ugly nor will they be a POS. They will likely treat you right, provided they are taken care of.

I am pretty sure your sister will enjoy most of your picks very much, LOL. They will be great ice breakers with girls, since you can start out with "Hey, I have the same car as you..."

2010_front.jpg

This Jetta ain't so bad in terms of girls car or not. My opinion has been swayed.

-Robert

They will be great ice breakers with girls, since you can start out with "Hey, I have the same car as you..."

I, for one, actually think that's a rather friendly way to be get familiar with a girl. Unfortunately, most non-men driving a Polol over here are either old middle-aged women, or whorish shouty-kind girls who put loud dance tracks on the stereo and have no idea what are Newton's laws of motion. :|

/OT

Ha, still a girl's car... haven't had the chance to race one yet, probably because they keep breaking down, LOL.

-Robert

Don't buy any auto VW before 2009ish. You do NOT want to get stuck with that transmission.

Well seems like it might end up being a new car. Just have to figure out the overall costs of it :p

So that means, i'll be able to avoid the pre-09 VW Autos :D Then again i'll avoid mostly anything CVT for that matter (Nissan)

Golf Variant/Jetta SportWagen. Decently reliable, (For a european car anyway) an interior that kicks the current Jetta's ass, and it's nicer to drive than the current jetta.

Having owned an 02-05 A4, I can definitely recommend it as long as it comes with a 1.8T. Just make sure it has a new timing belt after 75k or so and that motor should just keep on going (cept the coil packs which are under recall). It handles great, is good on gas, overall great car. Mine was a stick, so the only thing I can't vouch for is the auto tranny.

Wife owns a Mazda3, also a great all around car I would recommend. The only thing "bad" is that the chassis is so stiff it's a little unstable in the snow with the stock tires, the back end will come out on you in deep snow. And don't worry, only the sedan is a girls car, get the hatch.

I'll play ignorant and assume you mean 10L/100km highway, soooo for new cars, V6 Mustang, Genesis Coupe 2.0T, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed 3, GTI, maybe a Volvo C30 (had one as a rental, great little car).