Time Lapse - Simunye 3096

AshDav

Not strictly a photo i know, but its completely photography based

Some of you may have seen my Simunye album up a while ago.
(photos are in my simunye photograpy collection if you haven't)

Well, i was looking for a way to express my simunye experience in a way that a few photos could never manage. Thus i came up with a time lapse video called 'Simunye 3096'.

It has 3096 photos in it and lasts 5 minutes. My intentions weren't to let you focus on a single photo, but rather put them all together so you were told the whole story. It's happy, sad, it can be a tad emotional if you're that way inclined, but overall it'll put a smile on your face :)

You can find it here.
Time Lapse - Simunye 3096 | Photo Guides

Hope you all like it :)

Very nice indeed! I was amazed at how well a sequence of sometimes random pictures work together, and how at some points there is a single image which just lingers in front of your eyes for a split second longer, before another takes its place, despite the video continuing on. Your idea of not letting us focus on a single image overall worked very well though - it sort of blurs a number of photos into almost a video clip. The music also works very well with it, so thanks for letting us view your excellent trip!

Last edited:
A great concept, I might try it on a couple of my overseas trips and see how it turns out, probably not the same effect though.

I must say though, I thought my head was going to explode around 2:00, that just seemed to rush by, maybe i zoned out a little.

It's interesting to see at some points the ever elusive search for that shot you're after. A good insight.

A great concept, I might try it on a couple of my overseas trips and see how it turns out, probably not the same effect though.

I must say though, I thought my head was going to explode around 2:00, that just seemed to rush by, maybe i zoned out a little.

It's interesting to see at some points the ever elusive search for that shot you're after. A good insight.

yeah i occasionally zone out around that time as well. That's when the photos get quite intensely fast. At tshepang (where they were taken) the kids all just wanted photos so i couldn't get a few shots of the same person. I just had to keep on going to other kids, so the repetition is the key effect that section lacks.

I just remembered something - how did you do it? I mean, how did you put all the images into a video to make a sequence. I have something (a bit smaller - only 755 photos) that I need to put together. Did you use a special program, or just go through all of them individually adding them? :p Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I just remembered something - how did you do it? I mean, how did you put all the images into a video to make a sequence. I have something (a bit smaller - only 755 photos) that I need to put together. Did you use a special program, or just go through all of them individually adding them? :p Thanks in advance

I used finalcut to make mine.
I set the default image frame rate to 2 frames per image (by default it's 10 seconds) and then imported all my photos into FC.
Then all that was left to do was add the song, drag the files in and then tweak it until it worked :)
The photos were of course carefully chosen. I worked out quite early on that 2 frames worked better than 3 and that I'd need 3096 to fill it.

It sounds easy but it was actually quite difficult to manipulate in order to fit timing cues and end with the right effect. But that's just the nature of this one specifically.

If you don't have final cut though, then I'm sure if you googled Time Lapse Program or similar then you'd find something you like.

And 47, thanks :) glad you like it.
I've just put up a new blog post inspired by my South African experience if anyone's interested