Tire Question - Uh Oh

McLightning95

Mustang Girl
Car(s)
04 Mazda3 -- 99 Ranger
I got home today and saw this on my left front tire. I am assuming that I need to replace it soon, but how much of an emergency is it? Can I drive to work tonight? :unsure:

Not an expert in any way, but if you have to drive on a highway I wouldn't risk it. Sidewall gets compressed on each revolution, the weaker spot may buldge and blow open.

Replace, as soon as you can. I assume you can go to work but drive more carefully...

EDIT: very good you've noticed that! I think i wouldn't :p

Thanks, I am going to get it replaced tomorrow once I figure out the warranty deal. The tires only have 12,500 miles on them so I don't think it should be falling apart already.

I'm just going to make Quiky take me to school tomorrow. :D:p

Well from the curb rash on the wheel i bet that was caused by hitting the curb. My father has done it before and its smart to replace the tire ASAP.

Since it doesn't look like you went into any of the cords you should be OK as long as you watch it close. Get it replaced ASAP.

doesnt look too bad from the picture, i would change it tho, just to avoid any future trouble. The damaged tyre can be used as a spare.

I had a tire garage look at it and the guy there said it was just cosmetic damage and nothing to worry about replacing. Just to keep an eye on it.

My Dad finally got home and looked at it. He said the same thing. So I am going to try to get one more opinion on it before I replace or decided to leave it.

Its fine. You can make sure of that by topping it out on the highway. Keep it above 115 for ten minutes, if it doesn't blow, you're good to go.

Swap it out to the spare just to be on the safe side, but it should be OK if you keep the speed and weight in the car within reasonable limits.

Disclaimer - I know nothing about tyres and do not take anything I say as advice.

If that would be my car, that tire had to go. No "it is only cosmetic" game with a tire on my car.

Greetings, lip

Seriously... it's probably OK for normal driving, but let me relate a situation that happened to me. I had a similar damage on my front tire and I decided to drive home (50 km away ) and not put on the spare and get a new pair in the morning (I'm just OCD about tires that don't have matching threads...).

During the drive I had to make a high-speed emergency maneuver, to avoid a stalled car in the fast lane, which put all the weight of the car on the side of the tire. As you know, in a quick slalom the weight of the car shifts left/right. As soon as the weight came down on the tire, it compressed and the tire blew.

So, you're taking your chances. There's a few things I never mess around with... tires, brakes, ball joints, engine oil, etc.

Oh and, perhaps this is ironic, it happened to me in my old 2004 Mazda3 which I traded in for the Accord I currently own. The tires had 44,000 km on them. Those stock Toyo tires = shyte.

Oh and, perhaps this is ironic, it happened to me in my old 2004 Mazda3 which I traded in for the Accord I currently own. The tires had 44,000 km on them. Those stock Toyo tires = shyte.

Great, that makes me feel so much better. :rolleyes: The tires that are on it now are Goodyear Eagles (RS-A I think) and I'm not that impressed with them either.

In the back of my mind I know that I should replace it soon...:(

If you don't need a high performance ultra-sticky track tire, then get Michelin. They are easily the longest lasting tires we have ever owned. After over 30 years of car ownership it's the only tire my dad buys and every time I have gone with another brand I have been disappointed.

plus the michelin man is cool which is an added benefit of buying michelin :D

Damn. I'm running on Yokohama Avids (Mustang) and Bridgestones (Accord), and I love them both. I did get Michelin Harmony 15' to replace the stock Toyo on the Mazda3 and it was one of the quietest tires I could get - great stuff. hmm... maybe it's time to start a tire thread in Gen Dis.

Last edited:
I got the Bridgestone RE960's a little while ago, and so far they're very good. Kind of expensive (at least in Canada, that's why we head down to the US to shop now :) ), but worth every penny. Highly recommended if you're thinking about getting new tires. Michelins are good too by the way!!