Tire recommendations for my Xterra

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
The time to replace tires on the Xterra is approaching and since this is my first SUV I'm not really sure what the good options are. These will be road tires since I don't do any kind of off-roading and of course all seasons since cold weather does happen but nowhere near enough snow to justify dedicated summmer/winter (nor storage space really). Otherwise low road noise would be nice and decent feedback/response but of course this being an SUV it's not that critical.

The Frontier had BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail, they were good food about 30k of on road. No complaints with them, but I replaced them with Yokohama Geolander AT-S as they had a lightly more aggressive tread (very slightly). Have gone through some heavy mud and not gotten stuck. Looks like they will last about the same. Tire size is 265/75-16, but unless your truck is a Pro 4x or Off Road model it's probably 265/70-16.

I'm definitely a fan of BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's. Not sure if those would be overkill for your needs though, but they are great street tires, in addition to being good off road tires. I even hear they're good for cold weather. Proper cold, not the occasional 50F early mornings we get down here. :p

The Frontier had BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail, they were good food about 30k of on road. No complaints with them, but I replaced them with Yokohama Geolander AT-S as they had a lightly more aggressive tread (very slightly). Have gone through some heavy mud and not gotten stuck. Looks like they will last about the same. Tire size is 265/75-16, but unless your truck is a Pro 4x or Off Road model it's probably 265/70-16.

Mine's a Pro-4X so the size should be same as yours.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm definitely a fan of BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's. Not sure if those would be overkill for your needs though, but they are great street tires, in addition to being good off road tires. I even hear they're good for cold weather. Proper cold, not the occasional 50F early mornings we get down here. :p

Yeah any off road ability is basically pointless for me, most I do is parking on an occasional grass lot.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was looking at the Firestone Destination LE2

As per their testing they are as good as Grabber HTS 60 with a bit shittier tread wear rating but cheaper.

I have a set of Long Trails for the XJ in the garage. Drove on them while I waited for my Goodyears to come in and they pretty good. Decently smooth and quiet.

To put things in perspective, KO2s are the OE tire for the Raptor. They're a fantastic tire, but pretty aggressive for pure road use.

To put things in perspective, KO2s are the OE tire for the Raptor. They're a fantastic tire, but pretty aggressive for pure road use.
Pfft, even my BFG Mud Terrains are smooth and quiet on the road. :p

My brother uses BFG All Terrains on his Titan Pro-4x, which doubles as his business vehicle. He got almost 80k miles out of his last set, according to him. He just put a set of the new KO2's on it, saying he would use nothing else. It's certainly my first choice when/if I need new tires for my Tacoma. But then, I do plan on taking my truck off road occasionally, for camping trips.

Plus, the new KO2's just look the part. I love the more aggressive sidewall, it almost looks like a mud terrain.

bfgalls.jpg

My parents had General Grabber HTS on the '06 Yukon. Lasted a while and had decent traction for an all season. Treadwear was very near if not right on 50k miles. Would recommend. Otherwise, check out Michelin Premier LTX. I've good things about those and were my second choice to Kelly A/S tires. Only got the Kelly's because they were cheap and good enough for a company car.

My parents had General Grabber HTS on the '06 Yukon. Lasted a while and had decent traction for an all season. Treadwear was very near if not right on 50k miles. Would recommend. Otherwise, check out Michelin Premier LTX. I've good things about those and were my second choice to Kelly A/S tires. Only got the Kelly's because they were cheap and good enough for a company car.

Thanks!