Tire Store unable to remove locking lug nuts. Should I be worried?

cookiebun

Car(s)
a bad one
I went to get new tires from the same store I got tires from four years ago. They called an hour ago wanting to know where my special lug nut key was. It's news to me that my used car with after market rims has special lug nuts. They didn't ask for a special key when I bought the current tires from them four years ago. It seems to me me that a TIRE store should be able to cope with any lug nut without help from me. Should I be worried about their competence? I work with a guy who drag races and fixes cars on the side. He's often pointed out issues with my car that I hadn't noticed. He never said any thing special lug nut keys. He's not impressed with my aftermarket rims.
Input appreciated from you knowledgeable folks.

Last edited:
Well, this does not really speak for their competence. But then again, it's only mounting tires, so what should go wrong?

It’s possible the key was in your car before or in an easy to find location?

93Flareside;n3542276 said:
It’s possible the key was in your car before or in an easy to find location?

No, I work out of my car and have a lot of stuff inside. When I got the first set of tires from this store I saw no indication that any part of the car had been searched. They never said anything about looking for a key then and I would have noticed if they had .
Thanks for the replies.

The tool is required for the lug because it is designed to help make it harder to steal the tires and wheels. It is possible that it was in your glove box or center console the first time you went in, but the tech forgot to put it back.

I'm sure standard policy is different for each store, but due to there being so many different lug nut lock systems and each of them having a bunch of different patterns, its hard for them to have every "Key". I could see it be a company policy to not remove lug nuts if the customer does not have the key too.

If you really can't find the key, you can usually get them off by hammering a ratchet socket on and using a breaker bar or impact to get it off. You are liable to ruin the socket for its intended size by doing this, but it will allow you to get your wheel off. If for no other reason, I'd figure this out just in case you get a flat and need to swap it out. It would suck to be on the side of the road and not be able to remove a wheel leaving you stranded.

Good luck... I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Air hammer. Saw it on roadkill when they had that low rider...

Once you get the silly locking nuts off, throw them in the trash where they belong. Wretched things.

cookiebun;n3542273 said:
It seems to me me that a TIRE store should be able to cope with any lug nut without help from me.

would be rather crap set of security bolts if every other shop has a key to unlock them...

bone;n3543906 said:
would be rather crap set of security bolts if every other shop has a key to unlock them...

There are only so many different security bolts on the market. I have a set on my Jeep and every shop I’ve taken it to has been able to take the wheels off. Also have a different style security key on my Mustang that was dealer installed, they always ask for te key to speed things up, but say that they’d be able to take the wheel off if I forgot because they have a master set for that brand lock.