Today I Learnt...

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
TIL that Kirsten Dunst (of all people) recorded a cover version of and filmed a video for Turning Japanese by The Vapors.

And seriously wish I hadn't and neither had she.

Fortunately the original worked as effectively as any Brain Bleach....

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Fun Fact: Edward Bazalgette, lead guitarist of The Vapors, turned to television directing and, among other work, also has a few episodes of "Doctor Who", including the last Christmas Special, under his belt.

Interestingly, he's not the only punk guitarist who turned to TV directing: The Slits' Viv Albertine also had a successful run as a freelance director in the nineties, before becoming a suburbian home-maker and only lately reemerging as an author and singer-songwriter.

Reactions: MWF

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
TIL, when plumbing, skip the Teflon tape and go straight to the pipe dope. Would have saved me at least 8 hours...

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Today I Learnt...

Teflon works, you just have to put on the opposite rotation of how your pipe goes on. Pipe dope is good but it gets everywhere if you're careful.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
The Teflon tape wouldn't seal the straight (read non-tapered) threads, would just leak no matter what I did.

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
TIL, when plumbing, skip the Teflon tape and go straight to the pipe dope. Would have saved me at least 8 hours...
Plumbing, proof that God had a reason for creating the Polish....

God I hate plumbing, why are there 16 different sizes for everything in 7104 different combinations except the one you need? And why do I need to be a contortionist to get under a fucking kitchen sink?

There's a very small leak on a pipe in the kitchen, like very small, 3 drops a day small, it's current status is : 'has small receptical under it, repair parts have been aquired and are on stand by if problem worsens, problem no longer acute, expected to remain at current status for immediate future.'

Last edited:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
clearly, you need even more teflon tape! :p
Guilty, didn't fix it... That's when I did the sensible thing and did research on the intertubes.
Plumbing, proof that God had a reason for creating the Polish....

God I hate plumbing, why are there 16 different sizes for everything in 7104 different combinations except the one you need? And why do I need to be a contortionist to get under a fucking kitchen sink?

There's a very small leak on a pipe in the kitchen, like very small, 3 drops a day small, it's current status is : 'has small receptical under it, repair parts have been aquired and are on stand by if problem worsens, problem no longer acute, expected to remain at current status for immediate future.'
Plumbing is my least favorite of all the trades. I'd rather hang drywall and I really hate that...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
TIL about semantic satiation .

Many times I have been working on a flyer or logo and read the same word over and over while I changed fonts or styles. After awhile I couldn't really recognize the word as a word, just a jumble of letters. Now I know is a real thing and I'm not quite as crazy as I thought.

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Today I learned that stepping hard on the throttle in a RWD car with 421 HP in a righthand corner while it's raining, isn't a good idea :p

Now I know what fishtailing means :D

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Today I learned that stepping hard on the throttle in a RWD car with 421 HP in a righthand corner while it's raining, isn't a good idea :p

Now I know what fishtailing means :D
It had to happen at some point, best get it out of the way and learn from it. :lol:

GRtak

Forum Addict